Dumb MIDI keyboard questions...

Here's what I want to do:

1) I want a keyboard that I can use to trigger samples/modules on my DAW via MIDI. I am not looking for a synth, although something with some cheapo sounds built in would be nice for just chugging out patterns & practicing. Point being, sound synthesis quality can be bad, as long as I can do what I really want to do via MIDI. Read on...

2) I want the keyboard to have at least 60 keys, and while they can feel cheap, I don't want them to feel like buttons.

3) I think I need something that is at least 16 key polyphonic, though I'm not sure if it's necessary if I'm just triggering MIDI? Maybe I just need something with a 16 key multi-timbral MIDI controller? I'm not really sure. Let's just say that I need to trigger at least 10 sounds at the same time.

4) I want something that has what I think is "velocity" control. I'm seeing keyboards that are "touch sensitive", but I'm not sure if that's the same as something that will send out velocity commands via MIDI. I'm not really sure exactly how this works, but I'd like to have sound modules loaded in my DAW, and be able to control them via the keyboard, and I want to have some control over the dynamics of what I'm doing via how hard & fast I press the keys.

A lot of what I'm going to do here is just trigger samples on the DAW. A lot of the shit I work on would go much faster if I didn't have to program everything.

I'd also like to be able to do some piano-like things using various sound modules, which is why I want some natural-like control over dynamics.

Pitch bending & mod wheels and fun gizmos are always welcome.

I'm seeing a bunch of cheap keyboards from Casio and Yamaha and the like that seem to be able to do what I'd like them to do, but I'm not sure from the specs. For instance the Casio WK-1800 features 76 keys, touch sensitive (with on/off switch), 32 note polyphonic, 128 general MIDI, MIDI in/out 16 part multi-timbral. What I'd like to know is: does the touch sensitive stuff only apply to the onboard synthesizer? Does the polyphonic number only apply to the onboard synthesizer?

I'm looking to go as cheap as I possibly can, since the real work is really going to be done on the DAW. The keyboard will be primarily used to speed up the songwriting process as programming is very tedious.

Slackmaster 2000

If the keyboard "controller" is velocity sensitive it means you can play harder or softer (which is also called "touch sensitive). But - there are degreees of sensitivity. A cheap Casio may have 7 degrees of sensitivity (just a guess), whereas a more expensive controller may have a very smooth "curve" equal to perhaps 30 degrees of sensitivity.

Touch sensitive can can also refer to "after-touch" which means as you hold the key down, applying more pressure can create vibrato or other effects (like changing the "Leslie" speed in a Hammond organ sound).

Now, if the "module" can't accept those MIDI commands, the fact that the controller can "send" the command becomes useless, so it is important to know what velocity "curve" the keyboard and the module/sampler can communicate.

Multi-timbral and polyphonic are more important on the receiving end (modules/samplers). If you hold down 10 keys, but the samplers can only play 6 notes, then your limit is six notes, regardless of the keyboard is trying to relay.

That all being said, I would guess most recent Casio/Yamaha consumer keyboards would give you the MIDI send control you are looking for - the key is to make sure your DAW has the ability to receive the MIDI info (velocity, after touch, polyphony, etc.). YOu don't identify the DAW you're useing but I have to assume it is able to accept all standard MIDI commands.

Thanks! By "DAW" I'm refering to my computer. Right now for MIDI I've got an Ensoniq PCI128, but I might snag a Live! Value. For software I've got fruity and I'm trying out Reason. Regardless, I'm talking about using modules and software sequencers on the PC. I would assume this means that the card will be able to receive all MIDI messages, and what I can do with them would depend on software?

Thoughts?

Slackmaster 2000

MIDI is so confusing for beginners. I've had to learn so much by trial and error - is there a good book or website with a lot of general info?

I've wondered about many of these same things.

Consumer level Yamaha and Casio keyboards do not transmitt After-Touch to my knowledge. You are better off looking at Fatar/StudioLogic/Roland MIDI controllers.

I think you're right.

So can anyone recommend a decent & cheap MIDI controller. Just something real entry level for now.

I just saw a Roland PC-70 MIDI keyboard controller on ebay that appears to do what I want going for under $200. ??

Slackmaster 2000

If 4 octaves is all you need, sure! ;)

Personally, I could not bear to use anything with less than 5 octaves (61 keys). Its just too limiting for the music I play.

I take that back. That unit has only USB ports and cannot be connected to other MIDI devices - only your PC. Do yourself a favor a get a true MIDI controller with MIDI ports, not one like this that only has a USB interface.

Back