• Analog Synths

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Digital Synths

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Samplers/Modules

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Software Synths

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (i.e. FM, Modular, etc. Please Explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All or any combination of the above (Please Explain)

Votes: 12 54.5%

• Total voters

Atterion

Just curious as to what type of setups we all prefer in the studio. If you don't mind jot a line or 2 and take a second to register a vote. Thanx!!!

Me, I'll use anything I can get my hands on. I don't care how cheesy a synth sounds, there is always at least one tone in every synth that can be dressed up into something completely mind blowing.

I don't own any software synths.

See my live setup plus the roadies inclusion to see my studio gear. (in your other poll)

Carl

Frankly, it is difficult to determine what you mean by "digital" synth. A huge majority of them currently are ROMplers, which is pretty much the same technology as a sampler (which is a separate choice in the poll). Or straight non-ROMpler digitals could be modern DSP based, or older FM based (again, a separate choice in the poll). Also, could a softsynth be anything BUT digital? I think, by definition, it is digital. Modulars are most commonly analog which is a different choice in the poll than analog itself. Thus, I see the poll choices as vague.

Personally, I use all except softsynths. The best way for me to stagnate on a project is to throw a computer into the mix.

Yeah the selections are somewhat vague, and if I wanted too, I could have ended up with a pole with a dozen options, that's why I gave just a handful of options, that would cover a wide variety of options. And vague or not there are enough options too more or less cover everyhting, and hence the reason I asked for detailed posts, because I know there are always options that someone feels isn't covered. As far as what I refer to as digital, it could be interpreted as any digital synth, but I was more focusing on the Rompler/subtractive synthesis based hardware. True Soft-synths can be considered digital, My definiton of Soft-Synth is requiring PC/Mac. And by Sampler, I mean Sampler, not Rompler, Sampler, Like S1000, and where most of these are Modules they got lumped into that category. FM was seperated, from the rest of the digtals, because it is more or less it's own beast.

Actually I neglected to mention two boards that I use in the studio but never ever live.

One is my Casio SK1. It's a cheezy little sampler (my only sampler) but the samples are lost when you shut it off.

The other is my Yamaha DX100. I just haven't found a live use for it since I stopped using it for the thunder sounds in Riders on the Storm (which I no longer play live). However, I use it a lot in recording. Mostly as a layered synth.

Carl

I never use my DGX-202 live, it only has 1 organ I really like (60's Organ). But it makes a good go anywhere, set-up anywhere, scratchpad keyboard with it's cheesey built-in speaker system.

I mostly depend on my X60, though theJuno Di is a strong second. I still pull out the DX 100, occasionally.

Distance between posts: 10 years, 2 months, 16 days!
dingdingdingdingding....tell him what he's won, Bob!

Alton, you know we're just yanking yer chain, right! It's just one of those fun things here at HR :)
Polls are always good for that.

Back