Digital Piano - Upgrade or Replace?

o-ron

Hi all.

I am a hobby piano player and just recently inherited a nice keyboard setup:

- A mid-90's Peavey DPM C8 (master controller - review here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_articles/mar94/peaveydpmc8.html )

<EDIT> I found this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7358887216&category=1289&sspagename=rvi:1:1v_home </EDIT>

- A mid-90's Yamaha QY700 Synth/Sequencer ( http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-QY700-PR...358147993QQcategoryZ85867QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ) (this is not my item for sale)

In combination, this makes a very nice piano setup, essentially top of the line stuff from about 10 years ago. BUT, the keybard is HEAVY, there's this outboard box, *and* I have to hook up monitor speakers to get sound. There's about a billion buttons and nobs and custom switches, when really all I want is a nice piano sound, maybe harpsichord, too.

The piano sound from the Yamaha synth is good, probably some of the best from the mid 90's, but I've heard a lot better from today's equipment.

So I went to guitar center and asked what "upgrade" options I have. The guy said that other than a $600 sound module or a $300 software package I'd basically be better off just buying a whole new keyboard. He suggested the Casio PX-300 keyboard. (Casio??!!)

So I'm looking for opinions here. I want a nice, simple, gorgeous sounding and feeling piano experience. The Peavey has a nice action, but maybe the new Casios or cheaper Yamahas have just as good an action? I'd rather not have to run a midi through my computer, because that's even more wires and stuff I have to setup.

It seems like with the value of my current stuff I could almost trade straight across to a newer, lower-end setup.

Any thoughts???

Thanks!!!

:: o - r o n ::

Last edited:
i have a casio px400 and the action is not exactly like my baby grand piano, but it's not bad.

i would suggest trying them all and seeing which action you like best.

it sounds pretty good (im assuming you're just talking about the piano sound) for the piano, except i think the octave below middle C sounds kinda "off" to me... i can't really describe it, but i just think it sounds... not right.

I'm also looking at the Yamaha DXG-505.

Does anybody have any feedback/opinions on the Yamaha versus these Casios?

Thanks

I think you have a solid controller that you should keep if you like the action, that thing was the shit at one point and short of the onboard sounds, it still is as far as a weighted controllers go. A good sound module will go a long way if you are looking for more sounds and the setup you have really has alot of possiblities for going beyond just being a piano player. If you dont care about the sequencer, sell it a get a quality sound module since most of the cost of a electric piano are the weighted keys etc, and since you already have good weighted keys I dont see any point into pouring money into a new keyboard when you just need better sounds

o-ron said:
I'm also looking at the Yamaha DXG-505.

Does anybody have any feedback/opinions on the Yamaha versus these Casios?

Thanks

YAMAHA by far! :D I own a DGX-505 which is great. It does not have fully weighted keys though they are semi-weighted so may not be what you're looking for.

I do agree with altitude909 that if you have a solid controller and you are already comfortable with the weighted action get a quality sound module like maybe Motif EX Rack. :D

Some good thoughts from all of you.

Here's my logic and maybe this will help narrow things down.

What I want:
the best feeling/sounding piano experience possible, *without* paying MORE money (because if I have to pay more, then I'll stick with what I got).

That said, the action of the Peavey is very nice, but I don't have my heart set on it. I've only played and owned it for about a month now. It's very nice, but maybe a little springy. The plastic keys feel pretty good - I'd prefer wooden keys if such a thing were possible, but probably not. I'm heading off to Guitar Center probably today to compare to newer keyboards.

The sounds from the Yamaha sequencer are very nice and fully rendered from my Behringer studio monitors, but it's still a little "tinny" or "flat" compared to some newer piano samples I've heard. It's got all the general MIDI sounds, and most are decent, but again, somewhat dated. Other sounds are great, but I really don't care that much, just mainly really good piano (and possibly harpsichord and organ) sound. (The yamaha has kind of a lame harpsichord sound).

Like I say, the whole setup is big, bulky, and with lots of wires all over the place. If I can get the same results in a newer, cleaner, simpler, lighter setup then that would be great. All else being equal I'd rather have the simpler setup. Built in speakers would be nice too because then I wouldn't have to hook up and haul around my Behringers (and can then use them elsewhere more productively).

As for sequencing / advanced midi control, I really don't see myself ever getting into that. If I did, i'd rather go software as I'm a computer guy and not a lcd screen / little buttons kind of guy. So as long as whatever I have has midi out, then i'm fine.

Again, thanks for all your feedback.

O-ron,
The sequencer you have is not really know for its sounds (although it is an excellent sequencer). I would go to a guitar center (or some music store) and play around with what is out there. However I doubt if there will be a quality keyboard with speakers that will surpase what you have sound wise

o-ron said:
any good new keyboards out there with fully weighted action under $700?
Here is a link to the newest and best 88 key hammer action controller on the market.

The sounds that you complain about in the QY700 were not meant to be featured in a song, but rather used as composing tools. That sequencer is one of the best stand-alone sequencers and unless you want to get into the computer world I strongly suggest you hang onto it. And sock away a supply of floppy disks.

If you're just looking for a piano sound Korg, Alesis, Yamaha and EMu all make very good dedicated piano modules. The problem 10 years ago (and a HUGE problem 20 years ago) was very expensive memory - simply stated, the bigger the sample the more realistic it sounds.

Back