difference between Rack and Keyboard synth. versions?..

gkowal

hey guys i am very new in music equipment everything i used to do was on computer soft. and now i want to get some more professional eq. I was looking aroung and i see that there are 2 types of synths (rack and the one with keyboard.) now i also see that the Rack versions are always cheaper which is pretty good for people like me that don`t have money but want to buy something that sounds more professional then computer synths..
now i want to get
Access Virus B and Supernova 2
but i don`t know the difference between a RACK version and Keyboad one...except the obvious that the RACK has no Keyboard..
Let say i get a Rack and i want to make music ..do i need some other keyboard to make up melodies or the Rack has its own way to write notes or something in it? I would love to get the Rack version because its cheaper this will save me money for other equipment i need... Can someone explain me What is the difference in Rack and KB versions? and how do i compose music on RACK versions? because on KB i guess you use keyb to make melodies...I am very confused... please help me
Thank You...

A Rack is basically the brains of a keyboard minus the keys.... Instead of having like 12 keyboards in a studio, you would have 12 racks of "keyboard brains" and one set of Keys for all of them, hooked up through the midi interface...

what kind of keyboard do i need then to connect the RACKs to it? Can you give me some examples? and what are the prices of that kind of keyboards? thanks!

Am I missing something..?

I use an old $100 Ensoniq sampler for a controller....(the actual sampler and other shit doesn't work, but it's plays other modules great.... Whats with the 400- 600 price range?.....

I say just get an old cheap 61 key synth with Midi....

Then and again... thats just me... im sure there is some sort of benefit in getting one of them "controller keyboards".... There MUST be for that coin...

Evolution boards start below $100 and the best of them can be had for just over $200.

Sure, you could buy some MIDI capable Radio Whack synth for less than $100 but THEY WILL NOT HAVE PITCH OR MOD WHEELS ON THEM!

Nor will anything have assignable knobs upon;)

Carl

Krakit : i use the most ancient roland e-36 keyboard, and i gave 20 bucks for it.. works perfectely.. got modulation wheel and all...
but: it's big and unhandy, and it doesn't give you extra assignable controllers like the evolution series does.. definitely worth the bick to get one of those...

gkowal: there's abosolutely no difference between the virus C and novation supernova II in rack or keyboard (except of course the keyboard, and on the novation you have some pretty cool scene features on the keyboard too) ...

both synths kick ass... the virus C has turned into a soundsource almost as powerfull as the supernova II, but their sounds are very different... the supernova got incredible dynamic capabillities while the virus is more rock solid and steady, which especially is cool for bass patches...

what kind of music do you wanna make anyway?

Krakit said:
Evolution boards start below $100 and the best of them can be had for just over $200.

Sure, you could buy some MIDI capable Radio Whack synth for less than $100 but THEY WILL NOT HAVE PITCH OR MOD WHEELS ON THEM!

Nor will anything have assignable knobs upon;)

Carl

Thats why I suggested an old syth (not the radio shack type).... they ALL have pitch and mod wheels....

I just saw a Roland D-20 in a used store for $159 Canadian.. (About 100 US)..... Not only would that make a good controller and has the pitch and mod wheels, but you can also get some cool sounds out of IT!...

Im just trying to put an alternative idea up in this thread, so the poor guy doesn't think he HAS to go out and spend like $600....

i wanna make Trance ... I was thinking to get the Supernova 2 instead of Virus... But once i`ll save some money i`ll get the Virus too.. hehe Thanks guy for explaining me all that stuff.... THANKS!

A couple of the suggestions here for controllers aren't the best idea. The Roland E-36, D-20 do not transmit aftertouch.

Aftertouch is another means of controlling sound on a synth by varying the pressure applied to the key while it is pressed. It can do anything from adding vibrato to opening a filter for a sound. I think you would be silly not to buy something that has aftertouch.

Atwork said:
There's also the 25 key Evolution Mk125 Dance Station - £50. Don't know what that is in dollars. Tiny but okay for non-keyboard players. Here's a review:

http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/jul00/articles/evolution.htm

The reviewer liked it enough to buy one.

I have this controller, (cost me $70). I wouldn't have bought it as my only controller though. It serves a purpose as a small keyboard to use for monophonic synth leads. Sometimes I get frustrated with it just using it for that.

I have a few controller though so this is just used for spice.

Get at least 41 keys if it's going to be your only one. (this I cannot stress enough).

Carl

VOXVENDOR said:
Am I missing something..?

I use an old $100 Ensoniq sampler for a controller....(the actual sampler and other shit doesn't work, but it's plays other modules great.... Whats with the 400- 600 price range?.....

I say just get an old cheap 61 key synth with Midi....

Then and again... thats just me... im sure there is some sort of benefit in getting one of them "controller keyboards".... There MUST be for that coin...

That's pretty much what I do. I use my Alesis QS-6 to drive five rackmounted synths (Oberheim Matrix-1000, Yamaha TX-81Z, Ensoniq ESQ-M, Alesis NanoPiano, Roland R-8M).

Back