Creating my own sample library in Kontakt 2...

drummersteve

Hi,

I have recently being getting into Kontakt a lot. I know the workings of it relatively well now. I was wondering whether it is possible to create my own Sample Library?

By this I don't just mean a bunch of samples - I mean create different Kontakt instruments, where by different velocities actually use a different sample. So it doesn't just turn the volume down, it actually plays a quieter sample.
It will be quite time-consuming, having to record all the samples But it'll be worth it I think. In case anyone is interested, I am doing it for A Gamelan Orchestra (Traditional Javanese Music). Is it possible to do this?

Thanks!

Steve

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this type of question - tell me where and I will repost in correct place!

Thanks

Totally possible. What you need to do is create velocity layers. This way, multiple sample are assigned to a single key, which are either switched or crossfaded depending on the velocity and how you set them. Pretty much all big / modern sample libraries use this.

Good luck!

Excellent! I was sure this must be possible, it would be a pretty poor idea not to implement such a thing...

Is there any where which goes into more detail about how to do it? I appreciate your answer, but even though I have used Kontakt for some time now, creating my own sample library is a completely new thing for me, so I would like as much help/guidance as possible!

Thanks for any info/guidance in advance.

Steve

I don't know of a single place that will give you all the info you need, but I'll try summing it up for you.Check out the "mapping editor" in kontakt. Here you can see how all the samples are mapped. (I think) you can drag and drop sound files from the browser here. You can stretch the boxes vertically to increase the velocity range of the sample and horizontally to increase the pitch range (using the same sample for multiple notes). This will pitch shift the sample for every note other than the root note.

Hey,

Thanks for that. There will be no need for Pitch-shifting things, as I will be recording the samples from an Authentic Gamelan Orchestra, so all the pitches I record will be the ones which are available :), if that makes sense. As opposed to the pitch-shifting method, can I set a different sample for each pitch? Kinda like something like East West do (where every pitch is recorded, rather than one pitch recorded and the pitch-shifted)?

So then I presume once I have drag/dropped the files into the mapping editor, set the velocity thresholds for different samples etc, I can save this as an Instrument? And can replicate this for all the different Gamelan instruments. Correct?

Thanks for your help on this!

Steve

Back