Creating Drum Tracks

Xavier

Hello all. First I'll tell you that beats are the weakest part of my music. Im looking for a drum machine that can pretty much do everything (regarding beats) including sampling of course. I want to create sort of Outkast-type grooves with unique sounds and tricky beats. I dont really mind the complexity of the machine because ill have plenty of time to get used to it. I would like to hear your recommendations. Thanks

Awesome, yea I was def looking at akai, I just have no exp. With it so I wasn't sure of its performance capabilities

Great- anyone else?

Xavier said:
Awesome, yea I was def looking at akai, I just have no exp. With it so I wasn't sure of its performance capabilities

Great- anyone else?
Well since you have the sampling requirement, the MPC about covers it. But you could always grab any old sampler (AKAI and E-MU have made a ton over the years), use another drum machine to trigger your samples (i.e. an AKAI Z-4 and Alesis SR-16), but the MPC really is the most direct approach to what you want.

Drum Machines

Well the hardware samplers are good..there is no doubt abt that.. but to me .. the VST's are taking over the whole hardware concept slowly but surely..if youre comfortable using a software sequencer like Cubase & Logic.. VST'S are the way to go..well as far as atleast the drum thing goes.. there are so many VST'S out there to pick from.. like Stylus,Storm,and Reason has a bunch of those stuff too.. and above all they are so daym easy to use.. you have over a 1000 Pre played,Pre Recorded Loops to chose from in Stylus in diffrent tempos!. and you can tweak them to the way you want them too(Like youre Filters,Pitch.etc.. and they have this cool thing called groove controls.. which are the actual samples of the cool loop you heared in stylus.. now they are neatly laid across youre kepboard so that you can build youre own beat out of em..

Well its just a suggestion..look into it and see wat you think of it.. am pretty sure it would blow youre mind off.. well it did to me!..

Cheers

No shit eh? You say Reason does that? How's the actually quality of the sounds? And are there programs that do this better than reason?

Um, reason by itself has no provisions for adding audio or sampling in any way.

wasn't sure of its performance capabilities

u can rock an MPC live. I have seen ppl destroy places with just a MPC

altitude909 said:
Um, reason by itself has no provisions for adding audio or sampling in any way.
The NN19 sampler in Reason will load wav, wave, aif, aiff, sf2, rcy, rx2 and rex files.

It's true that you can't sample directly, but once you've got the sound into a program like Audacity, trimmed it and saved it you can load it right in, not unlike the pages in a hardware sampler.

Xavier said:
How's the actually quality of the sounds?
Excellent. And the free 'refills' you can find on the Propellerheads web site are numerous enough to provide you with a bottomless well of sounds.

The main drum machine is capable of loading .wav files and many other formats too - something I take full advantage of on a regular basis.
And are there programs that do this better than reason?
Not for my money. I've used Reason since 1.5 and have yet to lose any data (except to operator error) or have a single serious crash.

Download the demo here --- http://www.propellerheads.se/ and see what you think.

At one time I was preparing loops on Reason, exporting them to .wav files, importing them into an MPC and then I could 'destroy places' as altitude puts it.

Back