Connecting more than one rack synth to one controller keyboard for live set up

swastika_eyes

hey

i a novation a station and super bass station in the summer and have been hooking them up to a yamaha PSS-680. However ive been hooking them up individually (one synth a time when i need them) and we are now going to play gigs as a band and i was wondering how to set them up so that i can use the one controller for both synths ( i only want sound from one synth at a time, but just not the hassle of two beyboards or changing the leads over constantly)

hope this makes sense and you can hellp

cheers

The God of midi (in her infinite wisdom) gave us midi thru ports for just this type of situation. Just hook up a midi cable from the midi out of the Yamaha to either one of the Novation modules. Then hook up a second midi cable from the midi thru port of the first module to the midi in of the second. When you want to play one, set your keyboard's midi out channel to address that one --- when you want to play the other, set your midi out channel to address the other.

Some cautions: avoid channel conflicts. No two midi instruments set to the same channel. Also avoid omni mode at all costs. A particularly cruel old fiend used to call it 'idiot mode', but I'll be kinder and explain that it turns on all channels at once and scrambles midi notes just like eggs. With the shells on, no less!

Chaining works well for only about 2-3 synths, so you are okay chaining these two to the master controller. Any more than that and you should really get a midi patchbay.

Back