Connecting guitars to keyboard amps

Clemie

Cute member
I heard connecting driven/distorted electric guitars or bass to your keyboards amp will cause damage to the amps (even on lower level). Is it true ? I had to ask this, because I often get practise at home with my band. Guitars & bass running thru my keyboard amps. All are played together :rolleyes: It's Peavey KB300.

I dont think so.
Not if you keep the levels down. Keyboard amps probably shouldn't be overdriven like guitar amps... but other than that, they are uaually very robust.

A good rule of thumb with speakers is that if you dont hear distortion, you're probably safe.

um... just re-read what you asked...

Yeah, it might be a bad idea if you are causing the keyboard amp to distort by running its levels / gain to hot.
If your using a guitar efx processor or a pedal for distortion, you should be OK, if the levels of the keyboard amp are low enough that it is not creating its own distortion, but just playing the distortion from the efx.

and this all depends on the quality of the gear you are using... a robust amp can often take anything you throw at it... a POS amp however is a POS.

Back