Choice b/w two low-priced keyboards

GreenDank

OK, I have a gift certificate for musician's friend, so I need to get something there. I've decided on a keyboard, but there's two I can't decide between:

Casio CTK-800 vs Yamaha PSR E303

I basically want a unit that could be used alone, with a ton of sounds. Drum sounds would be cool (which the yamaha has, but I don't know if the casio does - it may). And I need to be able to connect it to my computer for either direct recording of synthesizer parts, and perhaps delving into the world of using a MIDI controller to direct a soft synth (I don't know what I just said there).

Anyone have any advice between these two items? I can't go much higher in cost, and I don't want to talk about things way off in left field.

Well I guess I wouldn't ever recommend either of these keyboards to anyone for any reason. But seeing as where you are locked in here via gift certificate, I'd recommend the PSR. It has GM and XGLite compatibility, and the PSR sounds are better than any Casio IMHO.

Atterion said:
Well I guess I wouldn't ever recommend either of these keyboards to anyone for any reason. But seeing as where you are locked in here via gift certificate, I'd recommend the PSR. It has GM and XGLite compatibility, and the PSR sounds are better than any Casio IMHO.

Thanks for the input. So...are there better entry-level keyboards? I don't want to be Herbie Hancock necessarily, but on the other hand, I doubt a scaled-down midi controller is really going to enable me to become a two-handed piano player.

The Yamaha will be fine.It probably has outputs to connect to something like a home stereo which will sound better. It will sound much better than the casio.

thanks for all the input. You have helped me lean toward the Yamaha, which I think is going to work nicely for my simple needs.

GreenDank said:
OK, I have a gift certificate for musician's friend, so I need to get something there. I've decided on a keyboard, but there's two I can't decide between:

Casio CTK-800 vs Yamaha PSR E303

I basically want a unit that could be used alone, with a ton of sounds. Drum sounds would be cool (which the yamaha has, but I don't know if the casio does - it may). And I need to be able to connect it to my computer for either direct recording of synthesizer parts, and perhaps delving into the world of using a MIDI controller to direct a soft synth (I don't know what I just said there).

Anyone have any advice between these two items? I can't go much higher in cost, and I don't want to talk about things way off in left field.
I am using a Casio CTK-671 and I am very happy with the internal sound tones and drum quality. Built in accompanyment is great for generating new ideas. The -800 has several built in drum sets . If you want to hear how the Casio sounds, click on my Soundclick sitr (below). All sounds were made fom the Casio CTK-671.

tamky said:
I am using a Casio CTK-671 and I am very happy with the internal sound tones and drum quality. Built in accompanyment is great for generating new ideas. The -800 has several built in drum sets . If you want to hear how the Casio sounds, click on my Soundclick sitr (below). All sounds were made fom the Casio CTK-671.

will do, thanks

I've been using an older $200 Casio (571) much like Tamky's, and it does a good job of recording background parts, especially layered strings. Unfortunately, my attempts to record some acoustic piano parts on it haven't fared as well. A recent Recording mag review of one of my tunes blasted my Casio piano sound--although my lack of technique probably didn't help (I'm a guitar player). Still these cheap keyboards have their uses as long as one doesn't expect too much of them.

Tamky, your soundclick link doesn't work for me. I was hoping to check out your work with the Casio.

J.

Back