Cheap keyboards

Herm

I am looking at some of the inexspensive key boards like the yamaha 175 and 205,s for just adding some piano and organ sounds to songs here in my studio.
I know they are not pro level. Im not a keyboard player.
I would like to know how much of a sound differance is there in these keyboards and say the sounds that I get out of my computer sound card midi
stuff. The stuff that comes with a computer. I am just trying to get and idea if it is an upgrade in sounds.
I hope that makes sense
Thanks

as an alternative that i prefer , consider a midi controller keyboard with no sounds in and a multi timbral sound module driven by the pc midi out.
this will give you lots of flexibility.
also - if you want to get song ideas down quickly look at band in a box sometime. (pgmusic.com). and peruse the user forum at pg. lots of user tips there that might be of interest.

Herm...Home keyboards used to sound real cheesy but they've come a long way(especially the ones that have come out the last 5 years) and have sounds that rival pro-level keyboards from 10 years ago (I have a Roland XP-50 and a Yamaha PSR 540). I have often seen entry-level Yamaha's on display at Walmart, maybe you could find one and see if you like the sounds. If you decide to buy (new or used) I would look for something made in the last 5 years with touch-response keys (which means the force with-which you strike the keys is "communicated" in the sound made) and 32 note polyphony (polyphony-the number of tones that can be produced by the keyboard at one time)........the Yamaha PSR 273 is $157 in the Muscian's Friend cataloge I got today...I'm not familiar with the 175 or the 205 but if they are fairly recent models and have touch response I think they would be useful for filling in piano/organ parts.

cool

cool, I was thinking about getting a dgx 500 or 505, but not enough mula... I also wanted the dgx 300 or 305, but alas, I cant find it anymore!! So I think im settling for a dgx 205, I need portability for band practice etc. and something that wont hurt my wallet. :rolleyes:

TMFK~

76 touch-sensitive piano keys
32-note polyphony
built-in song sequencer records up to five songs with six tracks each
download songs off Internet to play on keyboard
100 built-in songs, setups for over 200
610 realistic instrument sounds
135 accompaniment styles
12 drum kits
Yamaha education suite
grading and chord dictionary
two-way stereo speakers with bass ports
MIDI interface in/out
built-in headphone and sustain pedal jacks
requires PA6, PA5C, or PA5D power adapters or 6 D batteries, not included

http://www.qvc.com/detail/ViewOptions.aspx?viewOption=enlarge&item=E134329&tmp=pd&cont=001
====================

Looks like it has everything except the Smart Media Memory Slot.

====================

Cheers,
Ben

hmmm

Willy: Not sure what an external sound module would be, but it sure sounds interesting, would you eloborate. :confused:

As far as latency issues, I don't seem to notice any. Run my 61es straight to my USB 2.0 hub in my pc and the audio goes to two monitors. Simple enough set-up, and the results seem great to me. Of course, my keyboard abilities directly affect the overall sound and how great it really is! ;)

Sorry...

An external sound module is not a virtual instrument is a hardware. You must use the midi out from the 61es and plug it in the midi in on the external sound module, and you can play your keyboard and hear the sounds from it, without the PC. I have a Korg 05R/W sound module and am having issues with it. The Keystation stops sending data to the module and I have to press the sustain pedal or turn up the volume to get the sound again. This problem is not present when I use the USB in the PC with virtual instruments.

soo...

soo.. will I "waste" my money on this keyboard, or should i save it for the dgx500? I really need one soon, and one thats not gonna break the wallet...

TMFK said:
soo.. will I "waste" my money on this keyboard, or should i save it for the dgx500? I really need one soon, and one thats not gonna break the wallet...

You have loads of sounds in the DGX and if you want you can even use it as a controller for soft synths. Just depends on your taste in sounds. I think the DGX sounds good enough, but that's just me.

Back