Casio CZ-1000 Keyboard as a controller?

Reesche

Hi...... I am getting back into multitracking after 20 years. I am going to use the new Apple Garage Band 10 on Yosemite.

I have a 1985 era Casio CZ-1000 keyboard and am wondering if I can use this keyboard as a controller in GarageBand. I hav e Scarlett 2i2 USB Recording Interface that accepts 1/4" phono jucks (the CZ100 has an output 1/4" jack)

Can I use this as a controller for the sound modules in GarageBand 10?

Thank You

Midi OUT

If it has midi out you can use it as a controller

Great. Another question..... See Attatchments below.

Notice the type of jack on the Casio CZ-1000 (it looks like a microphone jack) .... And notice the type of jack on the Scarlett 2i2 Interface, it accepts both the 1/4" jack in the middle and the other type on the outside......What is that jack called? I just need a male to male midi jack?

As a controller, the sounds in the CZ-1000 are not necessary? Just the sounds in GarageBand?

Thanks for your help!

Reesche

Attachments

• Casio CZ-1000.jpg
    Casio CZ-1000.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Scarlett 2i2 Interface.jpg
    Scarlett 2i2 Interface.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 75
The Scarlett 2i2 does not have MIDI inputs, you can't use it for MIDI input to your computer. You should have bought the 2i4. The jacks on your keyboard ('3' in the diagram) are MIDI din connectors, you need the appropriate cables. You could pick up a MIDI-USB converter, some work better than others, if you can't bring the 2i2 back in to buy up to the 2i4.

As a controller, you will need to hook the midi into your computer. The 2i2 has no midi, so you will need a cable that adapts midi to USB or if your keyboard has usb midi out, just a straight usb cable woks.

---------- Update ----------

Simulpost High Five, Mike!

Back