Can Somebody Tell Me What Are Some Good Keyboards For Rap and Hip-hop

KD,

Your budget is VERy important in deciding what to answer. Also, with hip hop, you should also consider a sampler.

Rev E

Most (not all) hip hop producers have a MPC2000 in their kit. The MPC is a sampling drum machine. IT DOES NOT COME WITH BUILT-IN SOUNDS! They run about $1200-1300 new, but you can find them used for cheaper. If you go the sampler route I would suggest picking up a turntable and some old records. In the keyboard department you might want to look at a Korg Trinity or Triton ( I have not used either one of these extensively, only played with them in the store, so don't quote me on that.) The MPC is a real keeper though!!!

I make west coast mob type beats,and i feel the mpc(the worlds best sequencer) has nothing to do with sounds thats just comes in when your talking about sequening and sampling.So here go a list of modules and boards with hard sounds.
Roland JV'S,XP's(ect)
Korg trinity, triton
Nord lead
proteus 2000
thats just a start but if you have skills you can make a hard beat on just about anything,its not the equitment that makes raw beats its all about the talent & the skills.

alot of bay area producers use the roland Jv's.But overall the most used are the roland Jv's and xp's and trinity.

I had a little play on some of my keyboards/modules, umm, out of them, these have good hip-hop/rap sounds:

JV 1080, Yamaha CS6X, Korg Trinity, TRITON definitely has it all, Nord Lead2, Novation Supernova, JP8080 and hmm, at a push, the Proteus has some ok sounds, im not much of an EMU fan though. You're best off getting something like an Akai S6000 sampler and doing your own stuff. I find the menus and overall working of it real easy. oh, i forgot, the Z1 is a really really really great synth too.

Back