Best live keyboard Rig?

kybdplr

I have a Roland JV90 as a controller and organ sounds
Alesis QS6.2 For meat & potatos sounds and am happy with my boards
but my 8 year old Roland KC500 Version 1 is a bit beat up and Im in need of new
sound for stage. I gig 3 times a month with a Classic rock cover band in medium to
large halls & amphitheaters.

Do I
A. Simply buy the new version of the KC500 (Any improvments?)
B. BGuy Someone elses combo amp like the KC500 (Is ther something better?
C. Switch to a Separate amp & small mixer and drive a passive cab/s?
I own a few Yamaha Club series 15's, a JBL Wedge & a Croiwn 200WAmp
(Would that be better?)
I want quality & quanity.....Thanks in advance for the advice
James

Well what kind of sounds do you need in the keyboard? If you want something thats got everything maybe look at the fullsize triton or motif.

Roland Amps just okay....

Hey James,
Personally I'm not real crazy about any of the Roland keyboard amps as I feel they are grossly underpowered and get into distortion all too quickly, and
that's such a drag when we keyboardists have all these sparkling clean patches available to us. I would opt for your other system with the 15's and power them up well so you never have to run it " in the red ". ( high power at low levels translates to clean signal and longer speaker/driver life )
After 38 years of playing live music, do you want to hear about my keyboard rig ? Hammond B-3 Organ ( full console NOT chopped ) two Leslie
Speakers, Roland RD700 sits on top, midi'd to a Yamaha Motif rack synth, and a Roland HandSonic HPD 15 percussion unit, all running thru a small mixer to a 2500 WATT custom EV system with 3 cabinets, EACH containing a 2" high-frequency compression driver, an Audax 7" mid-range speaker, and an EVX 1000watt 15" speaker, with a JBL EON ( 15 & horn ) for extra vocal punch.
No need to worry about the guitarist's Marshall stack anymore, but it's certainly not an easy load-in either. When you crank up 2500 watts of that Hammond B-3 though, it'll curdle your milk !
Good luck with your new amp, whatever you decide.
Jimmy

these are great amps, I went away from separate amps and now just have my modules and synths run through my submixer to my Speakeasy Vintage Classic Stereo Pre then out to the main bd. Do you go direct from your amp or mic it?

bee-free, that's an impressive setup, and you obviously have good taste in keyboards. There's *no way* I personally would want to lug all that around though, yikes! I went from a TOA amp weighing 73 pounds to a Roland KC-300 weighing 35 just to save my back.

I personally like the Roland keyboards amps. kybdplr, if you are happy with the KC-500 I think you'll be happy with the new version. I've been tempted to upgrade to the KC-350, as they made the controls a little easier to access, adn added a three band eq instead of the old two band. There are some other refinements as well, at least on that model. I'm sure they must have done some nice things to the 550 as well.

I've found my KC-300 sounds better when decoupled from the floor. For some reason that makes a big difference with Roland amps in my opinion. So I carry around a small 2x4 and prop up the front of the amp with it. I've gaff taped it black so no one even sees it on stage.

Stage rig for live sound

Thanks Guys for the advice.I agree...although impressive - I would hate to load in a rig like that around.
My current KC500 Vers 1 is heavey but the wheels have started acting like sucky shopping cart have been a godsend...
So far I have been able to keep up with loud guitarist with no distortion....but I did blow the amp once. I remove the rear wheels an tilt it back to the floor. At a larger gig I brought all my separates and the rest of the band noted my better sound quality. The separates and mixer give me more flexabilty as I could also run a vocal submix for better monitoring.....You know we always get stuck with guitar player wedges pointed not at are ears, but at the bottom of our keyboards (I am a stand up keyboardist). Also my mixer has XLR outs so the sound guy can eliminate the DI's. I will have to audition the KC & make a change...

BTW
Need a second keyboard for meat and potatos sounds.
Yamaha MiniMo MM6
Roland Juno D
Korg x50

Thanks again

James (KybdPlr)

This is useful info, as my old Crate amp is on the fritz!

As for your new keyboard, I would ALWAYS recommend a Kurzweil.
Even on the lower scale, like a PC1x with Classic Keys ROM.

I get 95% of my live sounds off my PC2R module--as of yet I haven't found the need for anything else. We play modern rock with that late 90's and classic rock feel. I couldn't be happier. The patches sound like the instruments they're supposed to be. The Hammonds could be stronger, but you've already got something for that, and I'm hoping to purchase a clone at some point.

When I go to the music stores and try the latest Roland, Yamaha or Korg offerings, I find that the patches are much too stylelized, and really sound far from the instrument they're trying to be.

Other than that, the Nord line of keyboards is pretty nice. I've been itching to play a Nord Stage, because it seems to have everything a classic rock cover artist would need.

At a larger gig I brought all my separates and the rest of the band noted my better sound quality. James (KybdPlr)

and still you need to ask??? use the crown and the jbl's get a electronic Xover and a sub...

my current stage rig is ....
Kurz PC88mx
dbx386 preamp (tubes!!!)
dbx166xl compressor
dbx234xl Xover
qsc 1804 power...just replaced crown powerbase1
jbl mp410 top's
ev 15L sub

and it rocks like you wont beleive... may cause sterility at max volumes so beware...

if you plan it right it's not all that more difficult (unless you have no feet like me....) the pre and all are in a rack that sits perfectly on the sub... and the top cab in this case is small so it lays monitor style on top of the rack... i heavy duty 2 wheeler moves the whole thing in one shot...

Roland KC-550

I brought my KC-500 into Guitar Center to compare it side by side with the KC-550, and the newer 550 was way better than my 500.

That said, I don't think Roland makes a steller amp. All of them, and I mean all Roland models, new and used, lose the gold inlays on the top of the knobs. Cheap manufactured parts. I've seen the inlays missing on new models sitting in stores.

And I blew my KC-500 at a rehearsal when it should not have, I thought. There did not seem to be any clipping protection in it.

I can't believe how loud you must be pushing those Roland amps to get them to distort or blow out. Seriously, I've used my KC-300 for years and years without distorting once.

I do agree about the gold inlays falling out of the knobs though. I think my amp only has one inlay left! Not a big deal though, strictly cosmetic.

I'm running the Yamaha S90 (88 key motif classic without sequence and a vintage keys add on) and a Roland VK8. Occasionally I also bring out my Motif XS 7 and play all 3 or just the Yammys. However I cant find a good 3 tier and I really hate the two stand Billy Powell thing I mean if your not doing the Rick Wakeman thing with like 12 moogs why do that..... Anyways I currently use a motion sound 2 channel solid and tube(tube for the VK8) its actually discontinued. I still have a roland kc 350 but yes it is underpowered and has a nasty digital distortion too early i have no idea why they are industry standard, however before the distortion they sound great

Back