best keyboard for $800.00 ?

bostonfan2

hello,
recording on a vs 2480cd and we are looking for a keyboard for $ 800.00 or less, we dont need sequencing,
or sampling capabilities, however, we do require an excellent piano and string sound, weighted keys are also not an issue.
any suggestions are much apppreciated.

Thank you, Ray

Rivers edge studio

Korg MS2000...I absolutely love it...you can sample and sequence it and still get great string and piano tone. Check it out...its like $750 on musiciansfriend.

I second the Korg. I think they may even be cheaper than $750 now which is nice considering they were like $1K when they came out.

The MS2000 is one of my favorite synths, but It's an analogue modeling synth. I have all the patches Korg has released for it and plenty of my own, and I can't even think of a piano sound being on it... I've got a bunch of synths and I think the roland jv-1010 has the nicest piano, string/acoustic sounds that you'd ever want to hear. I know it's just a module, but with the money you save you can buy a nice controller keyboard and still have money for lunch and an empty sound rom slot for the future.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=020803121405068003201058182718/g=key/search/c=4707

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=020803121405068003201058182718/search/g=key?q=jv1010

You could almost get the jv1010, an eexpansion and a controller for $800

I don't knw why these people are even recommending the MS2000. Like subtractor said, its an analogue modelling synth and a Casio keyboard could produce a more convincing piano sound! Yes, the MS2000 is an awsome synth, but not for those types of sounds. Also, it is only 4 note polyphonic.

For $695, you can buy a Roland RS-5 that borrows sounds from the XP and XV liny of synths. The pianos and strings would probably be the best ones you could find in that price range.

The Alesis synth mentioned above may be new, but its sounds aren't. They are the same sounds from the previous versions of this synth (QS6,QS6.1). It sounds quite dated compared to mre current boards.

If I were on a budget and needed orchestral sounds, I would check out small orchestral midi modules. You should't have any problems coming under $800 there including a midi master keyboard and get decent things.

Of course, you won't get much flexibility, but of the piano and strings are what you need, it's worth checking out.

Hmm. Zzounds list the Kurzweil micropiano very cheap at $325 (It think because it's dicontinued but they still have some in stock).

If you want piano and string sounds then you want an authentic and as polyphonic an instrument as possible.

Look to Yamaha.

The S03 or even this
digital piano

These instruments have a pheonomenal piano sound and the strings are really good too.

I have to echo the sentiment about not recommending the Korg MS2000. It's completely not compatible with what you asked for.

Carl

AMS has the SP88 for $799. The weighted key version goes for a couple of hundred more.

He said that wasn't an issue so the SP88 is right on budget. It has the semi-weighted keys.

Thank you all for your replys, youve been a great help ! checking prices
and availability on your recomendations
hope to have a purchase soon !

thanks again , Ray

Not to say that Kurz is bad, I had SP88X here for a while and it's a great keyboard but limited... if you look for alot of sounds. It only has 32 sounds in all and strings/pads did not sit well for me.

It's somewhat limited as a controller to .... and weighs a ton... :)
sorry ... just another opinion and more confusion :D

Yeah, it wouldn't be my first choice to replace a synth with, but the piano is the best I've ever heard that plugs into a wall.

But I bought it specifically for the piano because I don't have an extra $100,000 laying around for a real one nor the room to put it in.

Heavy yes. That reads "sturdy and well built". After all it is a stage piano and it is built for gigging and touring. The chassis will not twist or bend under it's own weight.

I don't use MIDI, but from what I understand in the manual it is one of the best controllers offered at this price point. A bit difficult to navigate with the limited display, but still a good one.

re: under $800

I had similar requirments and after much study, I had it down to either the Alesis Q6 (as mentioned above) and the Yamaha PSR 740.

I chose the Yamaha after playing both as to my ear it had the edge in voice/sound across the board in ALL instruments.

The strings are absolutely spectacular, so is the brass. And yes, the piano. I'd say the piano on the Alesis and the Yamaha are about the same.

In addition the Yamaha has a spectacular trumpet, sax, and flute, which are actually voices "borrowed" from their $4000 keyboard the PSR 9000.

But the rest of the voice set I'd go the Yamaha (well, I did.) It is actually a $1500 board, but is on closeout due to a 'newer' model (the 2000, which really doesn't do that much more) replacing it. So originally it sold at twice the price of the alesis which goes for around $600.

The YAmaha PSR 740 is on sale for $699 (closeout, hurry) at http://www.music123.com I got mine with a 2-year warranty just in case. Ya never know. But I have a 15 year old Yamaha keyboard that still works! I believe in their workmanship.

If they are out of stock at music123, some vendors still have some new in box at ebay, sometimes they go as low as $600......

Back