Best Digital Piano for Warm Sound

shortyc

I am looking at the Kurzweil SP-76 because it is the most inexpensive ($499.00) digital Piano I can find. That's not bad for a Kurzweil.

But, staying in that price range, is there something i can find with a warmer sound, something similar to the rhodes? Of course nothing can touch the rhodes, but what's the closest I can find?

thanks.

The Rhodes

Over the years I have owned at least tree or four Rhodes. The first was a stage model with the speaker and silver top. Probably the most sought after instrument. I got it as a gift from some local dude who quit playing to go to college. I then had tow different suitcase models and I believe one other stage model. I have found the Rhodes sound on my Kawai MP 9000 to be pretty darn good, though, the price is not near $500.00. There is a plug-in, I'm not sure the name, but it is I think the only plug-in that has only Rhodes and Wurly sounds. This is supposed to accuratley reflect the Rhodes sound. BTW, the old Rhodes were great, however, becuase they were mechanical, the varied alot from instrument to instrument. I was used to mine and often I would go into a studio and play theirs which would be completely different. This was slightly disconcerting. The consistency of modern keyboards is a plus. Also, the old Rhodes had tuning problems that do not exist on the plug-ints of the FM synth Rhodes sounds. Also, I have not heard it but the Native Insturments FM7 or something like that probably has great Rhodes sounds. Oh yea, I think the plug-in is something like a KY88 or someting like that. If you are using a DAW, check out the plug-ins.

Emagic 73 VST

I believe the actual plug-in is called the Emagic 73 VST. Also, somewhere else, the issue of the General Music keyboard was raised, also suppsed to have good sounds and the Nord Electro was added to the list as well. The choice is jup to the purchaser. KAWAI is most expensive, the General Music, then the plug=in (assuming you have a controller and computer already).

MIDI Connection

I'm trying to get digital performer or pro tools.

do you know if these plug in's are compatible?

also, how complicated does the midi connection get so that i may control a rhodes plug in???

thanks so much for your help!

Plug Ins compatability

I'm no expert on this su bject, I only know what I use and do. I have digital Performer and that means when I purchase a plug in, I need it to be MAS compatible which I believe stands for Motu Audio Systems. However, There is now a program called VST Wrapper that alows you to play VST instrument on digital Performer. It is a bit tough to work with on the midi side though once you get the hang of it its okay and, really all you need to do is follow the instructions and if worst comes to worst, call tech support. As for Pro Tools of Digital Performer as I understand it, Digital Performer has better midi implementation and recording whereas Pro Tools, I honestly don'w know. You will ahve to ask a Pro tools expert. Also, for Digital Performer, MOTU makes something called a Midi Time Piece AV. Once you have this, you simply plug in the new midi device, add it to the free midi folder and bang, you're off and running.

Good Luck whatever you do!

Back