best digital piano under $500

dmbfan1981

I have always wanted to learn to play piano but cannot afford a real piano and do not want to drop a lot of cash incase I don't end up using it much.

I would like something with 88 weighted keys. I want the key size and action to feel very realistic to an acoustic piano. Can anyone recommend something in this price range that would meet those criteria. I mainly care about its acoustic piano sounds and not so much as to any other onboard sounds although having some string synths would be pretty nice. I do have a DAW and would consider a nice controller but would prefer to be able to play without turning on an entire rig.

Thanks guys.

Digital Pianos under $500 --casio, prokeys, yamaha

There's not much in this price range unless you look at used stuff. I'm also looking for something with the same specs.

From what I have gathered for a new keyboard, around $500, 88 keys and weighted, you could can choose between these:

Casio Privia px-110
M-Audio Prokeys 88 (not the sx if you want weighted keys)
Yamaha P70 (might be closer to $600)

You can search these and read people's comments. Yamaha probably has the best reputation.

Everyone's advice is the same, "Go try 'em out and see what you like"

That being said, according to the Casio web page they are releasing a new px-120 model to replace the px-110. When that happens you may see a price break, or the new model may be worth waiting for.

Casio Inc. PX150 WH is the best alternative for under 500 . You can't find a better digital piano for this price. My budget was $600 or less so I did a ton of research. I decided to order this piano. It sounds beautiful. The speakers aren't the highest quality, but they sound perfectly fine. The only thing I will tell others who are thinking about buying this: the headphone jack is 1/4 inch. This is not your normal 3.5 mm headphone jack that you listen to music with. If you want to use this keyboard with headphones, you have to buy an adapter. This isn't really a big deal, since adapters can be found on Amazon for just a couple dollars. I bought mine for 2.99. I don't really mind this, but I wish I had known so I could have ordered an adapter when I ordered the piano.

I know, I just get tickled - from the old1/8-inch MONO earbud on my Grit Newspaper Crystal Radio Kit & Lloyds mini spy tape recorder, through the collection of walkman stuff, etc.. It is not that way in the Musical Instrument Store, should the poster ever see one . I'm guessing many never hit a guitar center, or, anything. I may have some Privia sounds on the wx-p1 - my one modern sounding piano patch (1/4-inch headphone jack)

Digital Pianos | Sweetwater

I'm not pimping Sweetwater, but this would be an easy way to browse a variety of options. Surprised there was a Korg in that range but can't say how it stacks up to the Casios or Yamahas. I was looking at these before I decided to look for a synth instead. There are some very nice keyboards in your range though, which will give you very good sound and feel. Definitely should try to find whatever stores are in your area though and try them.

If the do, they could probably get an old Yamaha CLP*** for free or next to nothing.
How many families shelled out thousands of $$ for digital pianos because their kid showed a vague interest in Green Day or some shit. Lots of people just want rid of these things now!

I do have to challenge the premise that the OP can't afford a real piano, though. I've been offered free pianos countless times.
Maybe not great pianos, but pianos.

For sound and touch The Yamaha's and Rolands are quite popular among those of us who come from acoustic piano land....I am a Yamaha fan personally but not really familiar with all the versions of P series out there ....on occasion you can find a Motif used or MOX used in that range...sometimes...

I read this in a forum once and it was funny..

YAMAHA
Pro's
-Piano sound preferred by many
-Keyboard touch preferred by many
Con's
- 3 vowels in the name
-Not a Roland

ROLAND
Pro's
-Piano sound preferred by many
-Keyboard touch preferred by many
Con's
-2 vowels in the name
-Not a Yamaha

Kawai's on the high end have picked up popularity...

For starting out the casio's are pretty good as are the value priced yamaha's not that many value roland models....If you buy used be sure to read up on the reviews of the model you choose and be sure to play every key on the board before you pay for it to confirm no dead keys...

Good luck!

You didn't say where you lived ...Highly populated area a lot more pickins for a good used one than if you live in the sticks..

I live in Lala Land so there's always a boat load of good used gear for sale ...saw a Roland RD 500 for $400 Offerup san gabriel area......if it was working well that would be a great piano to start on....

Oh Yeah Korgs make some nice keyboards too!

Oh some of that stuff, go over the manual and see if it is, possibly. more than you bargained for.

I
I do have to challenge the premise that the OP can't afford a real piano, though. I've been offered free pianos countless times.
Maybe not great pianos, but pianos.

Acoustic pianos are sooooooooo yesterdays news ;) As a keyboard player I love playing a really nice acoustic piano when I get the chance...but as someone who has owned a few and actually rebuilt one with a piano tech many years ago...Unless I am ever running deep in cash I'll just enjoy my digital pianos.... So easy to move...and never need tuning...I am a rock n roll player and though I can play delicately I am a beast on the keys ( sometimes) I remember the music director at my college who was generally a passive girly kind of man slamming open the door to one of the piano practice rooms I was jamming in and screaming at me to stop banging the keys so hard I was going to put the piano out of tune ....oops :o.... well that was awkward ....... Yeah digital pianos are really nice these days Thank you VERY MUCH Stevie Wonder and Ray Kurzweil... If I am ever lucky enough to get to where I want us to be financially for retirement I would like to buy me a nice 9'+ grand...man the bass notes shake n rattle on those...

I do have to challenge the premise that the OP can't afford a real piano, though.
Moot point IMO. A digital one is far cheaper, far (FAR) easier to deal with size/weight-wise, and far easier to sell. Try that first and if the interest/playing level grows significantly, then maybe consider a real one IMO.

I have always wanted to learn to play piano but cannot afford a real piano and do not want to drop a lot of cash incase I don't end up using it much.

I would like something with 88 weighted keys. I want the key size and action to feel very realistic to an acoustic piano. Can anyone recommend something in this price range that would meet those criteria. I mainly care about its acoustic piano sounds and not so much as to any other onboard sounds although having some string synths would be pretty nice. I do have a DAW and would consider a nice controller but would prefer to be able to play without turning on an entire rig.

Thanks guys.

I own a Casio CDP 130 and am very happy with it. Matches your specs and feel is amazing. Runs for 299 and if u spend another 100 you can get a frame for it.

Back