Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: best digital piano under $500

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    For sound and touch The Yamaha's and Rolands are quite popular among those of us who come from acoustic piano land....I am a Yamaha fan personally but not really familiar with all the versions of P series out there ....on occasion you can find a Motif used or MOX used in that range...sometimes...

I read this in a forum once and it was funny..

YAMAHA
    Pro's
    -Piano sound preferred by many
    -Keyboard touch preferred by many
    Con's
    - 3 vowels in the name
    -Not a Roland

ROLAND
    Pro's
    -Piano sound preferred by many
    -Keyboard touch preferred by many
    Con's
    -2 vowels in the name
    -Not a Yamaha

Kawai's on the high end have picked up popularity...

For starting out the casio's are pretty good as are the value priced yamaha's not that many value roland models....If you buy used be sure to read up on the reviews of the model you choose and be sure to play every key on the board before you pay for it to confirm no dead keys...

Good luck!

Thanks
    You didn't say where you lived ...Highly populated area a lot more pickins for a good used one than if you live in the sticks..

I live in Lala Land so there's always a boat load of good used gear for sale ...saw a Roland RD 500 for $400 Offerup san gabriel area......if it was working well that would be a great piano to start on....

Oh Yeah Korgs make some nice keyboards too!

Thanks
    Oh some of that stuff, go over the manual and see if it is, possibly. more than you bargained for.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    I
    I do have to challenge the premise that the OP can't afford a real piano, though. I've been offered free pianos countless times.
    Maybe not great pianos, but pianos.
    Acoustic pianos are sooooooooo yesterdays news As a keyboard player I love playing a really nice acoustic piano when I get the chance...but as someone who has owned a few and actually rebuilt one with a piano tech many years ago...Unless I am ever running deep in cash I'll just enjoy my digital pianos.... So easy to move...and never need tuning...I am a rock n roll player and though I can play delicately I am a beast on the keys ( sometimes) I remember the music director at my college who was generally a passive girly kind of man slamming open the door to one of the piano practice rooms I was jamming in and screaming at me to stop banging the keys so hard I was going to put the piano out of tune ....oops .... well that was awkward ....... Yeah digital pianos are really nice these days Thank you VERY MUCH Stevie Wonder and Ray Kurzweil... If I am ever lucky enough to get to where I want us to be financially for retirement I would like to buy me a nice 9'+ grand...man the bass notes shake n rattle on those...

Thanks
    Well, your typical upright doesn't have any USB and string patches

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    I do have to challenge the premise that the OP can't afford a real piano, though.
    Moot point IMO. A digital one is far cheaper, far (FAR) easier to deal with size/weight-wise, and far easier to sell. Try that first and if the interest/playing level grows significantly, then maybe consider a real one IMO.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dmbfan1981 View Post
    I have always wanted to learn to play piano but cannot afford a real piano and do not want to drop a lot of cash incase I don't end up using it much.

I would like something with 88 weighted keys. I want the key size and action to feel very realistic to an acoustic piano. Can anyone recommend something in this price range that would meet those criteria. I mainly care about its acoustic piano sounds and not so much as to any other onboard sounds although having some string synths would be pretty nice. I do have a DAW and would consider a nice controller but would prefer to be able to play without turning on an entire rig.

Thanks guys.
    I own a Casio CDP 130 and am very happy with it. Matches your specs and feel is amazing. Runs for 299 and if u spend another 100 you can get a frame for it.

Thread Information