Best Brass Section Keyboard

tonyA

What would you guys recommend for a reasonably inexpensive keyboard that would give me some decent Brass Section (a combination of trumphet, sax & trombone). I am clueless when it comes to synths, but I know some people talk about additive, subtractive, emulator, samplers, etc. etc. What we need it for is to play some music that sounds kinda like the Chicago, and music pieces like the 'Vehicle' by the Ides of March or 'Hold on, I am coming' by the Four Tops? I know, they are dated, but popular among the wedding reception party customers.

I love Korg X / N series for the Brass sound. You can even make your own combination of trumpets, trombone, sax, etc. I would say

Sound Quality : 7.5
Feature : 8.5
Price : 8
Easy to use : 7
Overall : 8

Fair price and feature...
;)
Jaymz

I've been shopping for new keys lately, and I think the horns on the Kurzweil PC2 series are stunning.

That said, I STILL like the sax on my antique Roland U-20 better (but how often to you need that ... if you do, lots of U220 modules around for cheap).

It sounds like you're going to be more of a ROMper (using presets) than a tweaker (lots of patch editing) so you may want to look into the new Kurzweil ME-1 orchetral module. It's supposed to have the same sounds as the PC2 series, but I've heard it's 16-bit rather than the 32-bit keyboard (that will matter for dynamics, perhaps). Of course, we're talking $400 compared to, oh, $1800 for the keyboard (the 76-key semi-wt one).

I have a Kurzweil PC-2X here, the sax patches are AMAZING; if there IS a weak link (and thats a BIG IF) the trumpet and trombone arent quite as good (in my humble opinion). Plus if you buy the PC-2X, you also get the award winning, world-class piano and vocal sounds (you should hear these vox sounds!).

PsyCoNo said:
I have a Kurzweil PC-2X here, the sax patches are AMAZING; if there IS a weak link (and thats a BIG IF) the trumpet and trombone arent quite as good (in my humble opinion). Plus if you buy the PC-2X, you also get the award winning, world-class piano and vocal sounds (you should hear these vox sounds!).

Hm ... in my research, I've come to understand that the ONLY difference between the PC2 and PC2X is that the PC2 is 76 semi-weighted keys; the PC2X is 88 weighted. In fact the PC2-R is the rack module with the exact same sounds and editing capabilities in rack form. Am I wrong here?

HOWEVER, if you order a PC2/PC2X, make sure it's got the orchestral expansion board in it ... some retailers classify these with an "O" at the end (eg, PC2-O).

PsyCo, do you gig with your PC2X? I'd love the weighted action but it just seems so damn heavy to haul around for a little gal like me ...

It is pretty heafty. . . . . . . . . SKB Case with wheels ;-)

. . .And you are correct about your research.

Back