beginner live keyboard

the1bullet

HeyEveryone:

This question is about live performing, not home recording. But everybody seems really knowledgeable here, so I'd like to get your suggestions.

I'm a non-keyboard player (lead singer, sometime guitar player) that would like to pick up an inexpensive keyboard that will be used mostly for simple accent chords when we play out live. It won't be used on every song, and won't ever be the featured instrument.

I'd like the keyboard to have a decent piano sound and a decent organ sound (decent by live standards, not studio standards). If it could be used to trigger samples, that'd be gravy. The keyboard will be plugged directly into our sound system, if that matters.

A friend has offered to let me use/have his midi controller keyboard (sorry, I don't know the model, but I'm sure it's lower-end), but he has no module for it. I asked about modules at the local music store, and the guy said I was looking at spending $500 minimum for a bottom-end module, which is well out of the budget.

Is there a budget module anyone would recommend that I could buy new or pick up off ebay? Or would I be better off going with an all-in-one keyboard from an electronics store (shudder)?

Thanks for your help,

Bob

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, that's possibly in my price range, but I'd be happiest if I could find a low-end, but passable used module for somewhere closer to $100. I don't know if that's realistic or not.

There isn't a standard low-end module, like the Shure SM57 and 58s are to microphone-land, is there?

Hi to all,
Could someone point me to the Ebay > Musical Instruments > Modules link. Can't seem to find it. Thank you.

Back