Anyone else find Roland modules noisy?

Ron Schilling

Hi,

I have a Roland M-BD1 and and SC 880. I find the modules to have a significant amount of noise when I turn the volume on the modules up anywhere past 3/4, while my Kurzweils are dead silent even when turned up all the way. While the Rolands are ok for live performance, I find the background noise pretty annoying when I use the Rolands for recording.

Anyone else find the Roland modules noisy when turned up? I'd like to take them into a repair shop, but if the noise is inherent in the Roland design, then it wouldn't be worth spending a few bucks to fix something that can't be fixed.

Thanks,
Ron

I know the older models were noisy. I have an old MT-32 that was so noisy I couldn't use it to record.

i think if u have it on another metal substance it produces noise, might wanna velcro it up thats just my opinion though

DonaldChang said:
i think if u have it on another metal substance it produces noise, might wanna velcro it up thats just my opinion though

Huh?

External factors should have NO effect on the sound..... if you DO find that they do, let me know, cause I'd be interested in learning this.

fraserhutch
Trust me, you have learned something today. I velcro all the edges of my JV1010's and they are silent as can be. They will hum quite a bit if they touch any metal. My other synth modules don't have this problem. The velcro can be seen sticking out a little on the top left corner of the right module.

JV1010's in rack with velcro

XV-5050 dead quiet
XV-3080 dead quiet

I'd check your leads for RF interference, or for mismatched impedances, or else for mic levels (low) into a line input.

Could also be your sound card (ie another device in the recording chain?)

Kurzweil K2600R - dead quiet
Kurzweil K2500R - dead quiet
Korg Triton Rack - dead quiet
Korg Wavestation AD - dead quiet
Roland JV1080 - dead quiet
Roland JV880 - dead quiet

Granted, all are rack mounted, but I have NEVER heard of such a thing as external factors influencing synth sounds.

I would agree with Lumbago in that I too suspect your sound card is at fault, or you have faulty cables.

I had a Roland XP60 and the reverbs on it were terrible. As the sound was trailing out, I could hear all sorts of muffled crackles in the end of the reverb trail. I also had a crackling volume slider. I sent it to a local repair shop to no avail. I had to send the unit to RolandUS to get it fixed. They didn't get rid of the noise either. I had similar problems with my older Roland D70. After two units with similar problems, I'm not willing to take another risk with their products. I may have just gotten the 2 out of maybe a handful of defective products(just my luck! lol), but I really didn't like the attitude Roland gave me.(One example: they quoted me a one week turn around in my XP60 repair. 2 months later I call to find out whats going on, the tech tells me I had to call them to "approve" the repairs and "approve" the price of them. Not one person on the phone ever told me that.) So my buisiness goes elsewhere. YMMV.
Prana

Back