Any piano players here ever try the FP-90 or the RD-2000?

inkline

They had an RD-2000 at my local music store, so I tried it out. Best keyboard expression in the place, the triple sensor action was great. You could replay a key only raising it a tiny bit up again.

Terrible expensive of course. The FP-90 is the same keybed, and relatively less expensive.

There wasn't anything else in the place I could directly compare with it sadly.

I haven't tried either one but I have an RD 300NX and I love the action and aftertouch. It was less than the two you are looking at so I assume they are even better. I got mine as floor demo though also so I got a pretty good deal though I cant recall exact price.

I am happy to report that I have an FP-90 scheduled to be delivered mid next week. :D

I got the price down a little on a new one, in white.

Would love to hear your feedback on this.. I've had the RD300NX for several years now and still love it.. but it's cool to hear what the latest models are like in action...

The keybed the FP-90 & RD-2000 use is simply great. I love the expressiveness. It feels good and looks good. This is what Roland's highest end pianos use, as in 3x the price grand pianos stuffed with speakers instead of strings, so it's great to get it at this price level. :)

On the other hand now I know how few velocity sensitive sample libraries I actually have! o_O

Wow is it surprising! I am still taking stock!

I chose the FP-90 over the RD-2000 for price/aesthetic reasons. I am happy to have a white piano. :)

It's quite heavy around 50 lbs. I built a keyboard rack out of stud lumber so I could slide it back and forth easily in front of my desk and chair.

The FP-90 lets you use all three piano pedals, so you can do those partial sustains and una cordas. I played with the piano designer awhile and got a sound I liked enough. I didn't think I'd be using the piano's built in sounds as much as I do, it can be nice to have real zero latency.

Having something like this I feel like a pianist now rather than a keyboard player. I feel like I have a keeper keyboard for quite a long time rather than constantly thinking about moving up like I did in the past. Now if I can't play something right I have to blame me and not the keyboard. :)

Well today I can blame a splinter, I can hardly type! :)

Last edited:
Sounds awesome. Saw an interview with a former programmer for um, I think it was ensoniq? anyway point is yeah, the velocity sensitivity makes for amazingly giant memory files and labor intensive compiling/programming!

I've looked extensively at digital pianos . Roland use their proprietory supernatural sound technology which seems good up to a point. When compared to the sampling used in kawai es8 for example (harmonic imaging xl) Roland does seem less natural and shows up strange sonic anomalies particularly in the upper register. Basically the behaviour modelling that Roland also use isn't really a substitute for the best sampling that kawai can offer . At this stage "predicting " what a note should do (Roland ) is no substitute for digitally sampling in more depth what a note actually does (kawai) . Note that my comments refer to the mid/high end kawai digital pianos featuring hi-xl sampling technology. Roland methods seems to compete well up to a point (eg with kawai es110) but beyond that it's no match for the more in depth extensive sampling to be found with kawai hi-xl sampling. Incidently I think the Fp90 is a direct competitor to the es8 so I'd definately take a look at that

Last edited:
I would've liked to've been able to try a Kawai for the sounds. :)

Doing real well with my FP-90, but I don't use the built in sounds. Very expressive touch. Heavier than I was used to feel, but now I am used to it.

Sounds good. Sort of like a controller keyboard then.incidenty Roland did the rd64 which had a good fully weighted action in a convenient octave width .alot of people ended up using those as a controller keyboard . Glad to hear it's worked out well .

I generally use Arturia's Piano V or the Sonivox Eighty-Eight with it, and they both go very well together. The Arturia gives me all the fancy three-pedal features the built in Roland sounds have, like progressive sustain, soft pedal, and sustenuto, and the Eighty-Eight has great tone.

Two of the faders on the FP-90 send MIDI, so they also served me a nice replacement for a mod/pitch wheel before I bought a decent fader board.

What digital piano are you using these days?

None as yet but I will likely go for the es8 kawai. My recording kit/ methods will need to stay relatively "traditional" as I consider myself virtually computer illiterate .hence no software etc .

Being as I am a hack, rock, "play by ear" keyboard player I find the tiny nuances like a dampening pedal yet along a third pedal never being used by me...

I am flabbergasted though at what some people think is a good piano sound.....having been around the digital keyboard world ever since Ray Kurzweil introduced that amazing k250 back in the early 80's where it has all come to is incredible...freeking $200 casio's can sound pretty dang nice...

So in the case of the OP's original question and asking opinions I was pretty surprised when later on in the thread he's not using the internal sounds but VST's? Shit if they both have the same keybed and one is less expensive than the other and you're using VST's the lesser expensive one is a no brainer ..I think? :confused:

I really like the internal sounds and feel of my Yamadog MOX8 but again I'za hack player...

I was really impressed with the "sound" of this dudes piano recording below...he's playing a Casio but I have to assume he is recording a piano VST it sounds most excellent to my hack ear...

YouTube

Buddy, don't use that kind of language with me.

As for why I bought it, it was for the keybed, not for the sounds, and it's the least expensive version that has that keybed, as it's Roland's flagship key action they put on their most expensive digital grands.

None as yet but I will likely go for the es8 kawai. My recording kit/ methods will need to stay relatively "traditional" as I consider myself virtually computer illiterate .hence no software etc .

Yeah you should get along very well with the ES8, I hear a lot of good things about it.

Buddy, don't use that kind of language with me.

Hey sorry man...didn't mean to offend you with using the word shit...I'm just a rough around the edges / old construction worker kind of guy... who happens to love making music...

In your original post you were asking if any piano players had played either of the two so I thought you considering both for the things beyond the keybed...

Certainly if you weren't intending on using the internal sounds the less expensive one would be the obvious choice if the keybeds are identical...kind of curious why you asked the original question if that was your intention...

BTW the..."buddy" thing kind of came off a little condescending but after checking out your blog I kind of get that you're a straight laced type of cat so no worries... Peace

Last edited:
Sorry, you don't get to tell people what they can and cannot say.

Hey, if you can't even keep a thread polite here that I started, that's fine, I can say what minimum standards I have for a discussion, and if you won't hold people to that, then I'll just leave. You can keep your toilet mouthed moderation at the expense of just being polite.

---------- Update ----------

And to the other fellow.

You don't sound sorry, you sound like someone who can't control his own mouth. I feel sorry for you and for folks who have to listen to you.

And to the other fellow.

You don't sound sorry, you sound like someone who can't control his own mouth. I feel sorry for you and for folks who have to listen to you.

You're a condescending snob........My slate is clean...I apologized... you want to hold onto a resentment it yours to hang onto.

If you want a clean slate, you have to undo what you did, and remove the language, otherwise it's not real TAE. You have an edit button and delete button and a moderator help button.

Back