Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any piano players here ever try the FP-90 or the RD-2000?

Thanks

Any piano players here ever try the FP-90 or the RD-2000?

Sign in to disable this ad
    They had an RD-2000 at my local music store, so I tried it out. Best keyboard expression in the place, the triple sensor action was great. You could replay a key only raising it a tiny bit up again.

Terrible expensive of course. The FP-90 is the same keybed, and relatively less expensive.

There wasn't anything else in the place I could directly compare with it sadly.
    Music and photography at whitepianos.blogspot.com

Thanks
    I haven't tried either one but I have an RD 300NX and I love the action and aftertouch. It was less than the two you are looking at so I assume they are even better. I got mine as floor demo though also so I got a pretty good deal though I cant recall exact price.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    I am happy to report that I have an FP-90 scheduled to be delivered mid next week.

I got the price down a little on a new one, in white.

Thanks
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Would love to hear your feedback on this.. I've had the RD300NX for several years now and still love it.. but it's cool to hear what the latest models are like in action...

Thanks
    The keybed the FP-90 & RD-2000 use is simply great. I love the expressiveness. It feels good and looks good. This is what Roland's highest end pianos use, as in 3x the price grand pianos stuffed with speakers instead of strings, so it's great to get it at this price level.

On the other hand now I know how few velocity sensitive sample libraries I actually have! O.o

Wow is it surprising! I am still taking stock!

I chose the FP-90 over the RD-2000 for price/aesthetic reasons. I am happy to have a white piano.

It's quite heavy around 50 lbs. I built a keyboard rack out of stud lumber so I could slide it back and forth easily in front of my desk and chair.

The FP-90 lets you use all three piano pedals, so you can do those partial sustains and una cordas. I played with the piano designer awhile and got a sound I liked enough. I didn't think I'd be using the piano's built in sounds as much as I do, it can be nice to have real zero latency.

Having something like this I feel like a pianist now rather than a keyboard player. I feel like I have a keeper keyboard for quite a long time rather than constantly thinking about moving up like I did in the past. Now if I can't play something right I have to blame me and not the keyboard.

Well today I can blame a splinter, I can hardly type!
    Last edited by inkline; 03-19-2018 at 14:04.

Thanks
    Sounds awesome. Saw an interview with a former programmer for um, I think it was ensoniq? anyway point is yeah, the velocity sensitivity makes for amazingly giant memory files and labor intensive compiling/programming!

Thanks
    I've looked extensively at digital pianos . Roland use their proprietory supernatural sound technology which seems good up to a point. When compared to the sampling used in kawai es8 for example (harmonic imaging xl) Roland does seem less natural and shows up strange sonic anomalies particularly in the upper register. Basically the behaviour modelling that Roland also use isn't really a substitute for the best sampling that kawai can offer . At this stage "predicting " what a note should do (Roland ) is no substitute for digitally sampling in more depth what a note actually does (kawai) . Note that my comments refer to the mid/high end kawai digital pianos featuring hi-xl sampling technology. Roland methods seems to compete well up to a point (eg with kawai es110) but beyond that it's no match for the more in depth extensive sampling to be found with kawai hi-xl sampling. Incidently I think the Fp90 is a direct competitor to the es8 so I'd definately take a look at that
    Last edited by maxman65; 3 Weeks Ago at 13:14.

Thanks
    I would've liked to've been able to try a Kawai for the sounds.

Doing real well with my FP-90, but I don't use the built in sounds. Very expressive touch. Heavier than I was used to feel, but now I am used to it.

Thanks
    Sounds good. Sort of like a controller keyboard then.incidenty Roland did the rd64 which had a good fully weighted action in a convenient octave width .alot of people ended up using those as a controller keyboard . Glad to hear it's worked out well .

Thread Information