analog bass synth for southern/ west coast rap

batchmister1

Hey Folks

I'm really digging for the perfect bass sounds for 90s bass heavy west coast rap and southern rap. Will the Korg Ms2000 satisfy me?

cheers

rap bass

Here are some of the users that use the MS2000 only one is rap but if you can get some sound sample from the internet check it out before u buy
I own one and it has great bass it takes place of the korg ms20 korg prophecy and probably more but those are the one I know of.

BT, Depeche Mode, Apollo 440, the Crystal Method, Placebo, the Faint, Royksopp, and Snoop Dogg.

Analog Bass is very straight forward if you know how to dial it in. Any synth with a square and a saw will shake stuff off your tables.

The basic idea is this :

VCO: Sqr and saw mix 10/7, just raw- no noise or sub osc

VCF: Cutoff low (2/10) Res all the way down, little bit (2/10) of ENV mod, keyboard track at 50%. If it sounds super low increase the cutoff. Everything else 0 (LFO mod, etc)

VCA: A=1.5 D=7 S=10 R=2.5

That should put you in the ballpark for any synth to get big sustaining bass.

If you want to sound just like lil' John, Novation A station. He has two of them and were used alot on the album

If you wanna get that west coast sound korg is fine,but if you like dj quik,battlecat type basses,a studio electronics Se1 or an atc of course they have the newer se1x and atcx I would get an se1 for say about 3-400 and you can upgrade to an x for about 3oo wich isnt necessary just an option

though I bet the ms2000 is better

Nothing does acid like a TB. End of story.

MS2000 is probably more flexible but the TB-303 is a classic (sells now for 4x it did in the 80's) so you are comparing apples and oranges

Like I said, any analog or VA synth will do decent bass. Moog's tend to be v good at bass also

Back