Alesis Micron vs. Microkorg

mellotron

I'm looking for a synth. The problem is that I don't know which one I should get if I'm not looking to do electronic music without vocals, but at the same time I don't want it to sound cheesy if I record a song with it. Am I looking in the wrong direction if I don't want it to sound cheesy with vocals? Basically, I'm looking for something I can plug into my Fostex MR8 so I can record stuff away from my computer.

I have played both, and the micron sounds like a better bet for you.

Me too, and I agree. The only thing that the MK has over the Micron is a useable vocoder. Alesis shouldn't even advertise the Micron as having one, it's that bad. BUT in other ways the Micron is a phenomenal synth.

The Micron is far more versatile than the MicroKorg. Hands down. better sound, more polyphony, more modulation options. The Micron is a digital semi-modular synth, has so many more routing options, it's truly sick. I wish I hadn't traded mine (sometimes). The frequency modulation alone is worth getting the synth for. If you've ever heard powerlines in a high wind, that slapping/metallic sound they make (ting, tshoooww, tang ting), you can make those sounds with the Micron. The MicroKorg cannot.

The MicroKorg has a better vocoder. This I'm not sure of, I think that depending on the microphone you use into the Micron, the Micron just might have a more versatile vocoder. The MicroKorg's is easy to use, right off the bat. But if you can get over that, then you will realize that the Micron just wails, with unique sounds, and more of everything.

Would you say that the Micron is "gig-worthy," whatever that means in terms of keyboards? How many keys does a keyboardist actually need? I'm actually a pianist, but don't have much experience with keyboards. I want to start to gig, but I'm not sure what bands look for. I'm not a fan of the emulated acoustic piano sound. I don't even know if I need weighted action if all they do is play really loud, or if they just need ambient sounds.

Then there's the idea that it's not going to be as musically "challenging" if I'm just twiddling knobs and creating all these weird ambient sound effects randomly. Is there more control or less control with music like this? It's kind of strange to think that you can just program some ghostly sound that's you can adjust, but it's really the keyboard that does it. Then you just hit a note, hit the mod and pitch wheel, and it sounds fantastic.

I'm a big fan of Grandaddy, Radiohead, and Flaming Lips. Is part of the craft of a keyboardist in a band like that really all in the ears? Finding out what sounds the most eerie and ethereal?

I guess it all depends on the band.

I have used my Micron live on a few occasions, but I don't gig.

However, I would say the Micron is gig-worthy, except for the older main control knob spindle that used to be plastic, but is now metal. It's a soldly built, metal case unit. I would think of using this live for pads, or distinctive lead sounds, or DEEP bass, or in those times when you want an electronic beat. You don't need more octaves to achieve those ends.

I love my Micron. You should play one in a store though to see how it feels...

Thinking laterally, I find that the old E-MU synth modules have GREAT sounds out of the box that make for fantastic leads, basses, pads. All you need then is a MIDI controller, and you can get M-Audio 49 or 66 key versions for not much money at all. You'd have to go on ebay, spend $250-$350. or one of the modules (X-LEAD, X-LEAD TURBO, PROTEUS 2000, ORBIT3). I have an Orbit 3, loaded with extra ROMs and have thousands of sounds in a 1" rack unit.

Oh okay. Thanks for the suggestion. How do you connect this stuff, and do you have to use computer software for any of this? Or are the patches already in the module like the Orbit 3. The reason I ask is that I'm not good at getting computer to MIDI keyboard stuff to work. Do I just connect a synth to the module, then I'm good to go? Or would I need to bring a laptop or something to gigs?

Last edited:
Oh okay. Thanks for the suggestion. How do you connect this stuff, and do you have to use computer software for any of this? Or are the patches already in the module like the Orbit 3. The reason I ask is that I'm not good at getting computer to MIDI keyboard stuff to work. Do I just connect a synth to the module, then I'm good to go? Or would I need to bring a laptop or something to gigs?

You connect the controller (Keyboard) to the synth module with a MIDI cable. No PC involved. I do not use a PC for anything. MIDI enables the keyboard controller to effect change in the synth module by assigning various knobs on the controller (via codes) to various knob functions on the synth itself. I do not use any of this capability and just use the controller to play the synth (while editing patches/sounds on the synth itself).

You take the L/R outputs from the synth module and plug those into your amp for performance, or into your recorder for recording.

The Novation A-Station, Bass Station and others work exactly the same way... It's very easy, and there's a whole boatload of synth modules out there. Anytime you see a "rack" version of a synth, it's designed to be played with a MIDI keyboard controller.

Okay, thanks a lot.

Would you say that a module like an Proteus 2000 or Bass Station would be the most versatile option? A reason I'm crossing off a Micron or Microkorg is that it's only 37 keys, and I might need to use more.

I like the sound of the synths from these two songs by Wolf Parade and Grandaddy. I have no idea about synth sounds, so I don't know if the synth sound in the Wolf Parade song is hard to make at all using a Micron or Microkorg. But I think what Jason Lytle uses in the AM 180 video is an actual analog synth, the Minimoog, so it sounds "dirtier" than analog modeling synths?

I just got an idea. I could get a Studiologic VMK-76 since I want hammer action. It doesn't have pads for electronic beats, but I'm not sure I'd use that anyway. These modules are not specifically designed for synth-action keys, right? I'd be able to play at different dynamic levels since the MIDI controller allows that? Maybe I'll get a Micron for electronic beats and a MIDI controller+module for lead or ambient string and organ stuff. I can't see myself doing any percussion on a hammer-action keyboard, since synth action keys and pads would be easier on my fingers.

I'm seriously considering a Proteus 2000.

Alesis or Micron

Okay, thanks a lot.

Would you say that a module like an Proteus 2000 or Bass Station would be the most versatile option? I'm seriously considering a Proteus 2000.

A Proteus can be excellent, but remember, the E-MUs of this generation can come loaded with a number of different ROMs, thus making the sound pallette quite large and diverse. So, a Proeus 2000 can be great, but it depends on what it's loaded with. Check on the Vintage Synth site for more detail. Some of the E-MU modules have the initial ROM, but can accept up to 3 more... The X-Lead Turbo, Turbo-Phatt and Orbit 3 can accept a total of 4 modules... My Orbit 3 has the SoundGarden, X-Lead, Mo-Phatt, and Techno Construction Yard ROM's. The point being, these modules offer a ton of flexibility, but get familiar with what's out there before purchase.

Oh okay. Do you have anything recorded using your Orbit 3 to give me some reference of what it's capable of? I'm really unsure of what synth or modules to get since I'm still wondering if I want to try my hand at creating dance or techno music.

I am interested in bands like Postal Service and The Knife. I'm also starting to get into stuff like LCD Soundsystem, Dan Deacon, and to some extent, Daft Punk (only song I've listened to is "Human After All"). And I have know idea what equipment would be intuitive enough to get a beginner like me to start making music in that genre.

Oh okay. Do you have anything recorded using your Orbit 3 to give me some reference of what it's capable of? I'm really unsure of what synth or modules to get since I'm still wondering if I want to try my hand at creating dance or techno music.

I am interested in bands like Postal Service and The Knife. I'm also starting to get into stuff like LCD Soundsystem, Dan Deacon, and to some extent, Daft Punk (only song I've listened to is "Human After All"). And I have know idea what equipment would be intuitive enough to get a beginner like me to start making music in that genre.

It's hard to know how the ORBIT 3 relates to the bands you like because I don't know the bands... What I CAN say is the Orbit 3 has a range of sounds that is pretty impressive. This is used gear we're talking about, so you obviously have to be careful with purchase in a way that getting a Micron wouldn't require.

Why not go check out a Micron and see if you think it'll do the job? All of it's onboard sounds are tweakable. To a great extent, it's probably not the synth, but the skill of the user that will determine what the results will be. By going with a new Micron, you're leaving the ebay uncertainty out of the equation.

Back