Access Virus vs. Nord Lead!!

JoeNovice

Junior Cheeseburger
I'm down to those two keyboards.... and it is a really though choice. I've listened to the samples but there is not a store close that I can actually twist the knobs.

What are your opinions?
Is one easier to use than the other?

I want to use this box for sequencing and studio work. I need fat sounds for Industrial/Trip Hop style music. Plus I need to get the most out of my investment.... money doesn't grow on trees around here.

I fiddled about with them both, but ended up buying a nord modular, so although I have no great experience with them, maybe I can offer some input.

My opinion is that the Access Virus is somewhat more flexible, but that also means it's a bit harder to use. It also has built-in effects, and a delay in sync with the MIDI-clock is REALLY useful, imo. One cool thing about it is that you have two inputs, which means you can put external sounds through its filters and vocoders and stuff. On the other hand, it costs $600 more, and for $600 you can buy a lot of stuff.

So it's a matter of taste, really. I think the value for money you get out of both keyboards seems to be quite similar. You get more with the Virus, but it costs more than the Nord... And the question is if you want that extra stuff or not.

The Nord interface is really good and it's easy to program your own sounds with. The Virus is tougher and many people complain that some of the features are hard to access(no pun intended)

The Nord has a big bass and is capable of aggressive sounds. I think the Virus is more lush and complex. Those are just generalizations. I've played them both and I like them a lot, but I slightly favor the Virus because the filters sound great to me. I don't think you would go wrong with either one.

I own "real" analog synths and none of the VA synths sound very analog, but they are cool anyway. I love sample-playback synths because they inspire me to write, but Virtual Analog synths have attitude and really stand out in a mix. I played the Waldorf Q and I'm still debating whether to buy the Micro Q. The presets suck for the type of music I like but I was able to quickly program some fat, amazing sounds. I will wait until the Micro Q is in the store and I can check out it's interface. The Waldorf stuff are definitely not analog boards. They are digital and kind of bright sounding. Very bold sounds. The Korg MS2000 is the most analog sounding of all the VA synths in my opinion. I like it a lot.

I don't have experience with the Nord. I have a Virus and like it. It is a bit complex, but I do a lot fo programming with a librarian/editor (as well as the knobs), so the hidden features aren't a problem. It sounds pretty cool. But, there are lots of cool things out there!!

Back