88 Key Controller

inkline

Fellows if you were looking for an 88 key MIDI controller today, what would you get?

Right now I have a Keystation 88 -- I've got other fish to fry for a bit, but I will eventually get something better than that.

A fullsized controller is something you live with for a long time, or at least I think it should be. Especially in 88 keys, which points to piano technique, you want something that plays nice now... and will still play nice in 10 years. I'm glad I plunked down for a Yamaha KX-88 many years ago. It's heavy, under-featured, and big, but it's a dream to play even now after 20-odd years.

If I were to do it over, I might opt for 73-76 keys because I so seldom use the extremities. There are some pretty good units in those sizes, too. But it's just been my experience that there's just no replacement for displacement. If you want it to play well for a long time, you're gonna need to have some weight and substance to it.

Seen Casio, Roland, Technics, and even Yamaha, all fabulous controllers when new, give up and get lame and spongy after a few short years (sometimes a few short *gigs*) of playing.

LOTS of controllers feel good in the store. Basically all of them do. Ask someone that's had one for a while and see how it still feels.

Ponder5

You should go to a store and test them out, but I was researching this a few months ago and general consensus was the weighted kawai and yahamas are the best right now.

Yeah it would be best to try before I buy, but I probably will mail order. I know the 'opt for' a few less keys idea, it floats in my head but I always reject it. Even if I almost never use them I still want them there!

Back