Votes: 62 28.3%
  • Jimmy Page

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • they both kick ass

Votes: 64 29.2%
  • who cares

Votes: 58 26.5%

• Total voters
Dunno about technical ability. Jimi Hendrix was really, really good, much better than most people will give him credit for. Page was real good also. I don't think I can say who's better. :confused: They both are good guitar players and came up with some really cool tunes.

I think I'd say Hendrix though, if I had to choose.

Note to self....name my next kid "Jimmy"....(Sure hope it's a boy)...

My vote's Hendrix....I liked him instantly, Page grew on me. I take from both though.....

That's an interesting comparison, because to me they are similar. Not in style, but in their strengths and weaknesses.

I think they are both conceptual geniuses. But I think their live performances came up a little short at times.

i love em both - however technically speaking jimmy lacks consistency...
down right sloppy in a few instances...
thats not to say he is not a great musician ,
they both are great musicians in their own right
however, my heart lies with hendrix for his very creative and innovative exploration of sound sculpture ,
to an extent Page played with sound exploration but to no where near the extent that hendrix did

i tend to avoid such topics, but...

disclaimer: i am not critisizing, just expressing my perception:

while i would NOT even think of questioning either guitarist's ability and contribution...

is it just me or does Jimi's tone sorta blow? i just don't like the tone.
and i really don't care for his songs and vocals. and guitar solos (as much as i love them) a song don't make.

Page's tone is... different. It's probably good for someone who digs it, but again, not in my taste - too abrasive maybe? i dunno. i also don't really like LZ's songs as a listener.

weird.

I picked both, but as some one else mentioned above, Page was a bit sloppy, but I think Jimi was more technically inclined.

I prefer Zep over Jimi, but both are awesome IMO. But shit, I think the rythym guitar parts from "In My Time of Dying" are pretty creative and fuckin rock, as do others from both artists though.

I dont know, this thread kind of sucks. Its hard to compare guitar players and argue which is better. Cant we just go back to debating which interface is best for around $500??

Great, at last music and guitar playing is a competitive sport. About time.:)

The result just in.....

Jimi Hendrix 7, Jimmy page 6, in overtime.

Hendrix goes on to play the winner of the tie between Stevie Ray Vaughan v the underdog Rory Gallagher, who defeated the established EVH on penalties.

This years competition for greatest ever guitarist is still wide open but we simply MUST have a winner.

I vote Frank Zappa, after my mate Bill obviously.

:D

Another meaningless "who's best" IMO. What difference does it make? What standards do you use? Is one "better" because he sold more records, or had more teenage imitators, or did more drugs, or wrote more songs, or died younger?

Get a life.

come on IP, its just an excuse to talk about guitarists and their abilities whats wrong with that?! I don't mind who's best discussions, i might learn something i didn't know.

come on IP, its just an excuse to talk about guitarists and their abilities whats wrong with that?! I don't mind who's best discussions, i might learn something i didn't know.
Yep but learn from them all not because someone thinks another is better.

A quick tale. As a teenager I was playing a bit in pick up jazz bands to broaden my playing and learn some stuff. Al Casey was in town over from the States touring with the band I was hooked up with..Despite me being young and inexperienced he insisted on us doing a duet each night just the two of us. He was in his 70's. Now a load of you guys have no idea who he was??!! He needed a place to stay and me just 19 at the time he stayed with me and my folks. He wasn't the greatest player in the world but what he played was simply awesome and came with pedigree. I learnt more in those few days than I did in the next 20 years. Well sort of...but you get my point. I was into the "Jimi's" then and am now but he was before all that and loved em too..equally.

I love guitar music there is no better or worse. If you can't get anything from someones playing move on, there is a good chance one day it will hit right between the eyes.

EDIT. Just in case anyone is wondering which Al I'm talking about it's the one born 1915 and was with Fats for 2 decades..

Jimi could've covered Jimmy, and Jimmy would be able to cover Jimi. Either way, audiences/listeners would be awestruck. Jimi would sound like he was covering Jimmy, and Jimmy would sound like he's covering Jimi. I can tell the difference between Jimi and Stevie Ray 'cause Stevie Ray played a Fat Strat.

Matt

Last edited:
Never a big fan of either. Hendrix had better tone. Both great for their time Hendrix better live I think,Page always seemed to choke live..even "The Song Remains" movie had overdubs to correct clams by Page. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the sound track is different than the movie. in places.

Never a big fan of either. Hendrix had better tone. Both great for their time Hendrix better live I think,Page always seemed to choke live..even "The Song Remains" movie had overdubs to correct clams by Page. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the sound track is different than the movie. in places.

Go read the January Guitar World interview with Page. He explains the technical difficulties they had syncing the soundtrack with the movie. Rmemember this was 1976. From what expert in the industry did you learn that the "movie had overdubs to correct clams by Page?"

Back