What's in your guitar collection?

Oh of course, if anything the tele shape and wood is slightly detrimental to the sound, but it has the advantage of being far more comfortable to play than a Les Paul or my Washburn and doesn't weigh a ton!!!

I agree that the amp and pick up combo has more influence on the sound. But I think the feel and style of the Guitar has more influence on your playing... well, my playing anyway.

Absolutely. You gotta like the guitar you're playing or you won't want to make any sounds at all.

I love Les Pauls but it is a bit of a mystery to me that they've remained popular for so long. They are a bitch to play sometimes. That heel area is a motherfucker. I love playing mine, but I don't do much upper fret noodling, so it's okay.

Would be nice if the Pearly Gates could handle slightly heavier distortion but then it would probably lose some of its warmth.
What are you doing when you say it "loses warmth"? Signal chain? Amp? Just curious because I have never had that issue with my Strat with the PG in the bridge position.

I will say that my LP has a little more of a "dark" tone to it but I think that's the 200lbs of mahogany that the body is made of more than anything else. :D

You're quite into Les Pauls and Marshalls aren't you?
Lol, yes, a little. Not just Les Pauls though. Gibsons in general. I really do love most Gibsons. LPs, LP Jrs, SGs Flying Vs, Explorers, Firebirds, I like em all. Maybe not Explorers so much. Too metal looking for me. And yeah I'm absolutely a total unapologetic Marshall fanboy. I don't deny it.

You might find these custom fenders with humbuckers a bit thin, probably worth having a play if you come across one though. I imagine pikingrin's Loan Star Strat is pretty similar
I have a long standing personal aversion to Strats, Strat shapes, Fat Strats, pointy Strats, anything Strat-like. I generally don't like them, even though I have one sitting here collecting dust. Same with Teles. I personally don't like them. I do like Jags and Jazzmasters though. I wouldn't mind having a nice little Jaguar one day.

You're quite into Les Pauls and Marshalls aren't you? You might find these custom fenders with humbuckers a bit thin, probably worth having a play if you come across one though. I imagine pikingrin's Loan Star Strat is pretty similar
The Lone Star's a beast, one of my favorites. My Les Paul is in the top 5 of my "go to" guitars though, depending on what I want to play and what I want it to sound like. Like Greg said, it's not so great for lead work past maybe the 14-16th fret because of that heel. BUT, it's also got a unique tone that none of my other guitars have and it works great for what I use it for.

Screw it, they're all fun to hack around on...right? :guitar:

With Les Pauls I find myself sitting at my desk in an increasingly weird and uncomfortable position cos they are so arse heavy. I only really play my Washburn standing up for the same reasonĺ. That's a single plank though, no heel, and I haven't quite grown out of widdling about on the 15th fret yet. You'd probably like a Washburn Wing series from the late 70s. Mine was under £200 when I picked it up about 10 years ago, they'll never be expensive cos no one has heard of them, I've not seen another one for sale since though.

I'd love a jag or a jazzmaster or even a jagstang but they're the next price bracket up. Getting towards £1000 then and that's a bit rich for me!!!

I wouldn't mind having a nice little Jaguar one day.
They are fun! Shorter scale and fatter neck - you'd probably like it since you're used to the Les Paul neck already though. Almost too many switches on the bastard though.

They are fun! Shorter scale and fatter neck - you'd probably like it since you're used to the Les Paul neck already though. Almost too many switches on the bastard though.

Yeah I like the shorter Gibson-like scale length.

Aren't the switches redundant though? Like the upper switches and lower switches do the same thing? It just depends on where your hand is and how you wanna work it? I don't know, I just remember playing a Jazzmaster that was like that if I remember correctly.

I'm pretty set on guitars though. The only thing I'd want at this point is a big ol Gretsch and a double-cut TV yellow P-90 LP Jr.

The haymon was full of switches too. After a while none of them worked and neither did the guitar. I nearly bought this weird active fernandes with a funny feedback/sustainer circuit in it before I bought the tele. Glad I didn't now, spilling wine over it would have been disappointing.

I came *this* close to buying a Jazzmaster earlier this year. But I'd wanted a Tele for so long that I felt like changing direction would have been a flight of fancy that I would've regretted later. I love my Tele, but damn, I still really want a Jazzmaster. Fender made one with simplified controls, which I really liked. It was like the "American Player Jazzmaster" or somesuch. Just a 3-position toggle for pickup switching. I just didn't trust the pickups though, they were an updated version and I felt like the originals are classics for a reason...then I started pricing vintage Jazzmasters and holy crap they get pricey in a hurry for anything older than 1980s.

I'd been eyeballing those LP Jr's, too... Settled on a melody maker with the P90's though because sweetwater had a B-stock (one small scratch on the back, buffed right out) for $400 and I couldn't pass it up. Still have room for one or three more and that Jr is still on my short list.

The switches on the Jaguar are sort of...redundant. I guess. The switches on the bottom basically turn on the pickups, there's also a switch to kill them both. The switches on top, if you've got both pickups "on", switch up how they're wired. One is parallel, one is serial. Then there's the volume and tone knobs by the output jack. I've had it for all of a month and a half so far and still have slight issues with the switches and remembering which does which because nothing is labeled. It has a wide range of tonal versatility though and, on top of that, it looks pretty cool too. :D

That's a pretty sweet looking Jr... TV Yellow and sea foam green, for me, just make a guitar sound better for some reason. :D

Not a bad price at all though; I'd jump on it if I still lived down there.

That's a pretty sweet looking Jr... TV Yellow and sea foam green, for me, just make a guitar sound better for some reason. :D

Not a bad price at all though; I'd jump on it if I still lived down there.

I'm watching it. I don't want to spend that much and don't really need it, but he might drop the price and I might move on it.

I've got bigger plans for now though....I've got my mind set on building my own amp!

Can't stand TV yellow. Passed on many a guitar that I wanted badly just because I hate it so much. It's like that famous line from American Grafitti: 'Say, boy - is that piss yella or puke green?'

Hey, pikingrin - how far west are you? Past Danville?

BTW, I've got a Lone Star setup, too. It's not bad, but I'm far from impressed with the Pearly Gates '+'. I think a regular PG in an LP woud be much more to my liking.

To the OP, I've been wanting to do the TeleGib thing, too, though I'm not sure why.

What's in your guitar collection?
You're asking what's in my collection?? Nothing but Asian crap, but I love my Asian crap. It's good crap and not expensive.

Yamaha RBX170 Bass (MIJ)
Frankenstein Jazz Bass (China mostly. I assembled and set up)
Martin DCX1E (MIM, but with all the Japanese companies setting up shop in Mexico, it might as well be Asian)
Kramer Focus 6000 (MIJ)
Ibanez Artcore something (China)
Guitar Fetish Tele (lol absolutely China, I love this thing.)
Epiphone Banjo (I have no idea)
Ibanez SR505 Bass (MIJ)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1990-ish
PRS Custom 22
Levinson Blade R1 "strat"
Ibanez RG470 (I think... it's buried deep so I can pretend it's not there)
Burns (of London) Bison 1983 - the only guitar with horns

Maton Messiah
Maton EA80C "Australian"
Maton CW80 special
Maton 425/12
Yamaha nylon electric

Schecter bass

Only half of them ever get played these days...

Can't stand TV yellow. Passed on many a guitar that I wanted badly just because I hate it so much. It's like that famous line from American Grafitti: 'Say, boy - is that piss yella or puke green?'

Hey, pikingrin - how far west are you? Past Danville?
Cardio, I'm out in Brownsburg - not quite to Danville but not that far down the road from it. About 5-10 minutes away on 74.

Right, now if you like that, why not branch out and get one of these:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...2F%2Fwww.g3h.be%2Fwings%2FfalconC.htm;794;454
I have absolutely loved this guitar. Its now my "Standing up and playing in Soundgarden tunings" guitar. I can't bare to part with it.

The Washburn Wing Series This is all the info about the model series - I believe Falcon's are the higher spec. Mine is a bit of an odd hybrid but it's a very early one so I imagine there was a fair bit of cross over. It's black (like the common Hawk) but has the higher standard Falcon hardware but no coil tap.

It doesn't "suffer" from having P90s in it either.

Back