What's a good accoustic to buy for recording purposes?

I've got a Made in Mexico Martin and love it. Not expensive by my standards which are pretty low.

I've heard Lavirees and Seagulls recorded where the sound great. In the $300 range. There is a lot more to an acoustic sound than the guitar itself. Mics, mic placement, room, mixing, engineer skills, etc. No one silver bullet. Still, start with a great sounding instrument and don't mess it up. :)

If it's just for recording, you should consider the smaller body ones over the big dreadnought sized ones - they don't have as much bass, but that's not a bad thing, because you usually have to high-pass out the boomy bass from the big ones in the recorded track anyway.

For smaller bodied guitars look at the little known Turner range.
Son (well me!) bought a Turner mod 80-00, virtually mint in a hard case for £500 but I dare say you could get a knocked about one for a good deal less.

Fishman electronics.

Dave.

What everyone ^^^^ said.

What kind of music are you playing? Picking or finger-playing?

How are you recording - what equipment, how is the room treated.

Get a good-sounding instrument first, the figure out how to record it.

I've got a Yamaha FG335 that I absolutely love the tone of. Got it at a pawn shop for $200. Go listen to the guitars at the pawns in your area and see what you can find. A good bright and warm tone is a good bright and warm tone, regardless of brand or style...

I've got a Made in Mexico Martin and love it. Not expensive by my standards which are pretty low.

Wanna buy mine? lol I bought a budget Martin about 10 years ago and I hate it.

At some point I'll probably get a taylor but I've not recorded one yet. Sounds good and plays good IMO.

My Guild DV 52 records very well. Nice balanced tones across all strings. They aren't cheap though. $1000 to $1500 used (they don't make them anymore so all of them are used)

No two guitars sound the same, even if made by the same person one after the other. Over the years I've played some expensive, good named, guitars that people have raved about and thought they sounded shite!

Go to a shop and play a bunch of guitars in your price range and find one that YOU like. What Teddy Wong likes the sound of, you may not.

Wanna buy mine? lol

lol, no thanks. Funnily enough, I don't mind buying an electric guitar sight unseen, but I've got to have an acoustic in my hands before I would give it any consideration. I went through a buttload of guitars before picking the MIM Martin. I was 50/50 between it and a similarly priced Taylor. They sounded different, but both were wonderful. The Martin won by a RCH.

I've been using a Taylor 110e for about 8 years now. Although it is not one of the brand's higher end guitars, I can only recommend it, especially if you want to record with it. The internal preamp is quite useless to me, but the guitar itself is really good.
This is an example of my own guitar recorded through a blue bluebird condenser mic and played with my fingers. 3 guitar tracks processed with some eq, comp and reverb.

I find the guitar has got a nice slight scoop in the mids, with tight bass and pleasant high. It works really well if you wan to record acoustic tracks to go in a more complex mix with drums and other elements :-)

Not a holy grail of guitars, but an excellent instrument at a reasonable price.

Back