What nut lubricant do you use?

I use graphite from a pencil and sand the lead in a solution of the graphite and petrolium jelly. I use an old carmex container to keep the mess to a minimum. Use a toothpick to lube the nut slots and it works wonders.

And several wraps on the tuners seems to work much better than multiple wraps, also.

Pete Leveillee?

Was my immediate thought as well. If it isn't then whoever it is has the same level of understanding of physics as he does and the same lack of interest in gaining any. Worst of he, just like VP when it is explained to him in simple terms he just ignores and carries on. To my mind that is a pretty close definition of ignorance. The difference between ignorance and stupidity is that Ignorance is self imposed, people elect to be ignorant by not informing themselves. stupidity can be worked with....

Ah hah. Stupid me. KISS

Adding extra wraps is basically like adding a string tree. Whatever forces are at work here, be they mythical or reality based, help keep the string more taut behind the nut so that when a bend is released there is more pull coming from the post which makes binding less likely to occur. The looser the string sits in the slot the more susceptible it is to bunching up and binding when releasing a bend.

Bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OHs0eB9e6Q

Pretty sure if you work your way through the above that any increase in the "break" angles at the nut (or indeed bridge) must increase the downward force in the nut, whereas string tension must be a constant for any given pitch/string mass. More force acting on the nut must give more friction/stiction.

Dave.

i would consider using lubricant if i had a problem with tuning

if your strings are pinging while youre tuning or bending strings then you have a nut that needs to be addressed

simply rounding the slots with a nut file can work wonders

im surprised nobody else has chimed in with this fix

It's been mentioned loads of times

post #2. 4. 9. 10 before your post #12. Quite a few times after that.

If you are talking specifically of using nut files, they are expensive and can be quite aggressive if you don't know what you are about...

This thread should be left to die as it contains loads of misinformation too..

obviously the fix i was talking about is to buy a set of nut files from stew-mac and use them

for the cost of a pedal you can kiss those pings goodbye forever

dont cut too deeply though or youll have to replace the nut

If you are going to buy a set of nut files I wouldn't recommend StewMac. They are the Harrods of luthier tools... They have everything you may want and much you will never need but at a price...

Now lets let this thread die..;)

i used stewmac as an example

im sure there are better places to buy nut files but i had trouble finding any when i bought mine

I've been playing since the late 60's and I guess I've never one time lubed a guitar nut.
If the string were binding in the nut I would take it to the shop and get the slot filed.
I only know of one guitar that I've owned that had that problem...a Gibson SG ...I moved It on down the line.

Back