What is the cheapest high-quality electric guitar?

IloveJesus

I know there are going to be a lot of smart-alecy remarks here, and that's cool, and I know this thread has probably been done many times, but let's do it again:

Personally, I find yamaha to make an incredibly well-made product for the price. I have an Epiphone that is a piece of junk. Won't stay in tune and sounds horrible.

Ibanez?

Let's try it this way:

Give your responses to the following:

1. Under 300.

2. 300-500.

3. 500-750.

4. 750-1000.

Over a thousand you can go either way.

the other day I played a couple Teles at Guitar Center. The Mexico (699) sounded great and felt great. Then I picked up an American tele (1299) and it wasn't as nice of a feel. Of course, all that could be setup.

I find it horrible that so many stores don't set up their guitars before display. I play hard rock, but like a clean sound too (that's why I like teles).

Anyway, what's your opinion?

if'n you like hard rock check out ibanez 90% play well and sound good right out of the box and you can get one in ANY price range. Most hard rock guys like the RG's $300-700. Personally I think an upgrade from that would be Jackson (I'm an 80's charvel guy).

I forgot to mention, but Carvin makes an incredibly good guitar, but they aren't very cheap. Probably start at 699.

From a totally functional perspective, you can get a kick-ass guitar for less than 300 from any number of makers. Some of the stuff from China is phenomenal, just try a bunch until you get one that works for you.

My personal experience is that the electronics is probably the weakest part of these guitars (again, from a functional perspective). But then again, that might give you the sound you want.

I think one skill that will save you money is learning how to do a setup on your guitar. Then you can buy just about any piece of S*** and make it play good.

Anyone that answers this thread with a specific guitar is going to be both right and wrong all at the same time. There is no answer to this, there are as many answers as there are guitarists or guitars.

Anyone that answers this thread with a specific guitar is going to be both right and wrong all at the same time. There is no answer to this, there are as many answers as there are guitarists or guitars.

I agree, but still have to give it a shot. Best bang for the buck is prolly Ibanez, but you can find some real gems with shitty names on the headstocks. I was a fender dealer for years, and about one out of every 20 Squire's was as playable as the average American or Mexi.

I agree, but still have to give it a shot. Best bang for the buck is prolly Ibanez, but you can find some real gems with shitty names on the headstocks. I was a fender dealer for years, and about one out of every 20 Squire's was as playable as the average American or Mexi.
I'd go further than that and say that one in twenty US fenders was as good value for money as those original squires. Some of the Jap Strats are also top drawer, but if you don't like strats then they are all crap. Thats my point there is no answer. You gotta find what is right for your for the money you can find. These days the choice is startling even at a low budget. When I started playing you couldn't get a decent guitar for less money than the big names.

The best guitar for your money is unlikely to be the same for next guy. This list will almost inevitably just turn into a list of currently available guitars divided into price categories.

the other day I played a couple Teles at Guitar Center. The Mexico (699) sounded great and felt great. Then I picked up an American tele (1299) and it wasn't as nice of a feel. Of course, all that could be setup.

I find it horrible that so many stores don't set up their guitars before display. I play hard rock, but like a clean sound too (that's why I like teles).

Anyway, what's your opinion?

There was just an interesting thread on shit setups at GC mart.

You forget LOGO....thats worth about $700 of the guitar.:D

oh and for your thread question.........

Squier 51 $99 Best Cheap Hi Q- G.... and you like Tele's so this ones fun for that.

Attachments

• small 51.JPG
    small 51.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
There was just an interesting thread on shit setups at GC mart.

You forget LOGO....thats worth about $700 of the guitar.:D

oh and for your thread question.........

Squier 51 $99 Best Cheap Hi Q- G.... and you like Tele's so this ones fun for that.

Hey that Squier 51 is a hot guitar. A friend of mine had one and it was really a fun little guitar. Lots and lots of potential if you're into modding. Very solid and smooth playing.

Fun is a great word for it.

The OP said they liked Tele's too.
So its got the Tele bridge and Tele neck and as you said one of the common mod's is a Tele knob plate and 3 way....Mod the hell out of it, no worry.

I've been playing since 1968 and I have found out one thing.

I prefer American made Fender Stratocasters and Gibson Les Pauls (vintage if possible) opposed to "off the wall" guitar brands. The off brands don't usually play as good, sound as good, resell as good.....plus the headstock will be some funky shape and name that is not as cool as "Gibson" or "Fender".

Might as well be honest about it...Gibsons and Fenders rule IMO.

I guess Yamahas are well recieved by Metal musicians. I dunno, I'm not into metal, clown makeup, and 7 string guitars...sorry

So, I would say the best deal on a cheap guitar is a used American strat or Gbson LP in the $300 to $500 range.

*hint*
If a seller accepts your first offer on a guitar you paid more than you should have.

Back