want to buy

Is this for you or a kid?

I don't think there are brand name violins out there that are easily recognizable, like Gibson or Fender.

I bought one for my wife a few years back. I went to the local violin shop where they would buy kits made in Romania. They would assemble and finish the violins themselves and sell them. Hers cost around $350 and I think I got a really good deal. The violin teacher loved the tone, though a little on the bright side. It has since mellowed out.

If it's for a kid, just buy the best Chinese deal you can until they grow into a full size violin.

a violin but don't know shit from sand when it comes to quality?
any input on a decent beginners?

Check your local craigslist. I think there are beginner's violas/violins for sale everywhere because kids use them for school and immediately get rid of it because they hate playing them.

I think Ventura is the standard beginner's model.

Greg: You need to post that story about your Craigslist experience buying the violin from the Chinese woman...:laughings:.

Sorry to go off-topic guys...

Back during one of my drinkin phases I had a buddy across the street who had a student violin hanging around his place. So every time I go over there to knock a couple back, I'm always picking it up and playing the only thing I know on violin (Fiddler on the Roof theme). As time goes by, I notice the violin becomes increasingly hard to find ("Oh here it is- behind three bookcases & a cactus on the top shelf of the closet in the spare room where the lights don't work!"). Eventually my buddy's like "Hey man you wanna buy that thing?" and I'm like "Hm. How much?" and he's like "25 bux" and I'm like, "Eh I don't really have it." and launch back into Fiddler on the Roof.

So anyways that's how I got my first violin for free.

Is this for you or a kid?

I don't think there are brand name violins out there that are easily recognizable, like Gibson or Fender.

I bought one for my wife a few years back. I went to the local violin shop where they would buy kits made in Romania. They would assemble and finish the violins themselves and sell them. Hers cost around $350 and I think I got a really good deal. The violin teacher loved the tone, though a little on the bright side. It has since mellowed out.

If it's for a kid, just buy the best Chinese deal you can until they grow into a full size violin.

For me, and yes, I am still a kid, but I don't want something that is going to fall apart at the first touch of a bow.
I look on ebay and there are so many etc, I don't know what to choose.

shopping on ebay is daunting which is why I went to the violin shop. I actually bought one from ebay from an estate sale. The sound post was knocking around inside and I guess it's an easy fix, but I sent it back to the seller anyway. He was kind enough to refund my money.

Good luck.

Find a local violinist and ask them for guidence on purchasing one. 9 times out of 10 they will know about someone who has a good quality used one for sale.

Check your local craigslist. I think there are beginner's violas/violins for sale everywhere because kids use them for school and immediately get rid of it because they hate playing them.

I think Ventura is the standard beginner's model.

it seems everyone around here on craigslist thinks their violins are made of gold?

---------- Update ----------

Find a local violinist and ask them for guidence on purchasing one. 9 times out of 10 they will know about someone who has a good quality used one for sale.

the only thing local around here are cows.

Considering the amount of work that goes into them, I am always surprised by how little they make on Flog It!

Dave.

I've only played a few violins in my life. The only brand I can remember was Bellafina and a quick Google says they have decent reviews. They even come in pretty rainbow colors so you can have that brilliant purple or black violin for your goth band...

Back