Underrated: J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.)

daav said:
I am ambivalent about D Jr. Too many songs where the guitars sound like the $150 solid state amp i got with my first guitar that just had "clean", "blues", and "metal" buttons on it.

Daav

I can't think of any Dinosaur Jr. songs that sound like J is using a solid state amp. I've owned plenty of crappy solid states so I'm qualified to comment on this. :D

peopleperson said:
YES! Totally underrated.

A hugely underrated band who are admitted diciples of Dinosaur that I must recommend...

SWERVEDRIVER

One of my favorite bands in the world. Amazing guitars.

I just checked out their site. The first song sounded just like Dinosaur Jr, except the vocals.

peopleperson said:
Cool Travis.

On their site, there's cool reassemblies of their four LP's made out of bootleg tracks.

I'm about to head out for band practice but I'm going to check them out more when I get back. I'm amazed that someone can actually decipher and imitate some of J's guitar playing. I'm impressed by that alone. :D

scrubs said:
My favorite band of all time. J rocks!

You have good taste Scrubs. I got turned onto them less than 2 years ago along with alot of other bands that I had never heard. I felt like I was transformed when I heard Dinosaur Jr. and Five Eight.

I can think of some stuff off of "Living all over me" that could be solid state. I'm down with most of you on this thread. J rocks. Many years ago at Metro in Chicago there was a SST showcase. Dino Jr laid to waste every act. I heard some of their not so together shows but this one dropped my jaw.

LOUDest show in a theatre sized venue I have EVER seen. Its been 13 years and my ears are still ringing!!!!

"Start choppin" would be a good intro for someone not familliar w/ DJ. Regardless of what ya thought of that UTube vid. They had a killer sense of dynamics and tempo shifts in most of their music.

JMs voice is an acquired taste, but way cooler than all of the pitch corrected crap on the radio or the cookie monster mosh vocals IMHO.

Deffinately takes me back to a cool point in my life!!! Good to see lou back in the fold! Is there a new album coming out??????????

HAHAHAHA!!!!!! I was talking about how loud I remember them being.... then I went back to youtube and watched the Columbia MO video clip........ Apparently JMs stacks were so loud they were melting the dudes mini condensor in his camcorder. FRUNNY FRUNNY MANG!!!!!!!!

It's wild to think that these guys started this making this sound in the mid eighties. Compare Dinosaur Jr. to the Van Hagar records or maybe some Warrant or even the earliest Metallica stuff. Whether or not it's your cup of tea, it's clear that these guys helped opened doors for Nirvana and others.

I think the first song that I heard was "Little Furry Things" which really blew my mind. I taped the video from a local cable show. I played it over and over for my pals who were mainly into hardcore punk and "college radio" music. J's sound totally expanded my mental boundaries in terms of what an electric guitar could sound like. J. Mascis inspired me to buy my first wah-wah pedal (they weren't very common at that time).

TravisinFlorida said:
he's had the same effect on me since i've been listening to him.
Yup. Weird how some people I hung with back then absolutely hated Dino Jr.. Soundgarden fans, Metallica fans, Meat Puppets fans, Minutemen.....some people just didn't get it. Their sound bitchslapped me so hard it took a week to come around.

When I saw Dino Jr. in San Francisco, J and the bass player were waiting around on stage for like a solid 5 minutes before drummer Murph came out. When he did, he was wearing OP cord-shorts, a tank-top, and thongs - as though he had just woken up from a long nap on the beach. Classic.

Much as I love Dinosaur, and J's guitar work in general, I have to say, he is getting SO LAZY with the lyrics (with his new project "J Mascis and the Fog").

wall of crunchy sound

J Mascis is one of my favorite musicians. however, it is an aquired taste. Check out some of their albums, now a couple are remastered & re-released.

J. just has this wall of crunchy sound that really gets me going. Also, check out the band "Witch", which, (ha!) Mascis plays drums for this retro-stoner band. Good stuff. Oh yeah, check out Sebadoh too.

There's a reason Dinosaur Jr is worshiped and the guys criticizing them in this thread are not.

Last edited:
Dinosaur Jr blows goats. I suppose you think Captain Beefheart is brilliant as well?

Dinosaur Jr. is brilliant. All you haters can suck my ass. I met Murph and J. over the summer at a their show and it was a very deafening and great experience.

Back