Too much gain

ido1957

9K Gold Member
I've been fiddling around with my LPC (new) and my JCM900 (old).
I find that the high gain channel is really distorted with my new guitar as compared to my Strat/Kramer.
It's not just a little distorted it's really distorted. I've turned the preamp to 9 oclock to get a nicer tone - not bad. I even like the clean channel with gain turned up better. Must be the pickups.

Yeah my Kramer has Schaller Humbuckers and they have way less output. The LP also has tons more bass in the neck pickup. It's all good - just have to get used to it and compensate accordingly.

I've been fiddling around with my LPC (new) and my JCM900 (old).
I find that the high gain channel is really distorted with my new guitar as compared to my Strat/Kramer.
It's not just a little distorted it's really distorted. I've turned the preamp to 9 oclock to get a nicer tone - not bad. I even like the clean channel with gain turned up better. Must be the pickups.

Not better pickups, just different pickups... You got p90's in there?

I've had a LP Classic for a long while, and it has obnoxiously hot pickups on it. It's definitely a totally different beast on any amp I've played it through, it takes some really different gain settings to get it dialed in compared to my other guitars. I've often thought of swapping the pickups out for some BurstBuckers or something with more moderate output, but I've grown so used to them over the years that I'm afraid anything else would feel anemic in comparison.

What variety of pickups do today's Customs come with?

Yeah it's a Custom and it has the 490/498 pickups. Mike has the same pickups in his Studio but these seem a lot different for some reason. I guess it could be the body but maybe because he has the split coil thingy.

Yeah it's a Custom and it has the 490/498 pickups. Mike has the same pickups in his Studio but these seem a lot different for some reason. I guess it could be the body but maybe because he has the split coil thingy.

Gibson has been spastic lately with 15db boost switches and straight-to-jack features on some of their guitars. Does your Custom have any of this craziness?

Gibson has been spastic lately with 15db boost switches and straight-to-jack features on some of their guitars. Does your Custom have any of this craziness?

I don't think so - it's just a stock model and nothing on the website mentions a boost of any kind.

lowering the pickups is an easy and good sounding way to balance your guitar with your amp.

Back