Spruce top VS Mahogany top

VTgreen81

..............or any other wood for that matter...........what's the difference in tone? Which do YOU prefer and why?

spruce will have more highend content and mahogany will have more low end.

i don't really know why, but most of the acoustics that i've played and have been like "whoa this thing rocks" have been rosewood. i don't know what it is that i like, but apparently that's what i prefer.

I agree Rosewood has a really nice balance. Warm yet snappy, kind of like Koa. I like Mahogany too, but not so much on large bodies (i.e. Concert bodies), as they already generally have a tendancy to be bass heavy, the spruce are a bit brighter, and are better on those. The best tone I have ever heard was a hand built maple-top, which you don't see often. It was a medium sized dreadnought, and had a wicked snappy percussive sound, which really lent to a nice bright finger-picking high-end with lots of good upper harmonics, and absolutely no mud in the bottom end.

Spruce vs Mahogany for top

I assume this is for an acoustic guitar:

Usually one would only consider mahogany for the back and sides, not the top of a guitar. The top of the guitar vibrates and produces the sound so the tradition has been that this wood is a softer wood, usually spruce or cedar.

The back and sides are traditionally made of a harder wood with hardwoods like rosewood and mahogany being most commonly used. I have a mahogany jumbo Trameleuc, the same guitar in rosewood produces a sound with less high end, so the back and sides do make a difference. The most important piece though, is the top, and it's a good thing if it's a solid piece of spruce or cedar. Hope that helps.

Back