Question on storing guitars

Xcaliber

I've been debating over the best way to store my guitars. I have 7 electrics and 1 acoustic guitar and I have been storing them on a rack like this one (but not this exact one).

I often have a few minutes to a couple of hours to pick up a guitar and play so I like them being out of the cases and on the rack because it makes them more accessible. I've noticed lately though that most of my guitars have developed either a buzz (or more prominent buzz) or a "sitar-like" sound on one of the strings. I'm taking them in for set-ups, but I'm wondering if the problem is that I'm storing them outside the cases? My basement is dry, but not overly dry. It is cooler than the rest of the house, especially in the winter, but I have a whole-house humidifier and we run the fan on the furnace all the time to circulate the air. The A/C is on pretty much all the time in the summer. There isn't any condensation or mildew or even a mildew-y smell down there and the basement is finished. The guitars do sit next to an outside wall.

Should I be storing them in their cases all the time? I've started putting my more expensive and sentimental guitars in the cases when I'm done playing, but it really hinders the amount of time I get to play them.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
It takes 15 seconds (at most) to take a guitar out of a case (and put one back in) ... just saying. I know lots of folks who just leave them in racks or on wall hangers, but I don't have the space for that - I have a wife, 2 cats (and used to have a dog) - all potential accidents to happen when it comes to my guitars!

Do you have hygrometers in the room where you keep your guitars? If not, get a couple, they don't have to be anything fancy, you can find them for $10-$15 each. Ideal humidity range should be 40-60%, but most important is avoiding big changes in humidity.

My Strat is a 1991 model and it's never been in a case in it's life. Ever. Not once. Besides being a stupid Strat, there's nothing wrong with it. It even spent a Texas summer in the truck of my car many years ago. It's fine.

My main 3 other guitars usually live in their cases, but one of them is always out on a stand at any given time.

They're guitars. They can handle it.

Do you have hygrometers in the room where you keep your guitars? If not, get a couple, they don't have to be anything fancy, you can find them for $10-$15 each. Ideal humidity range should be 40-60%, but most important is avoiding big changes in humidity.

I think for acoustics this is especially true. Living in an area where humidity can go very high, my acoustics will go out of tune real quick. Only time I worry is in the winter when the Heater is sucking the water out of the air. I have a whole house humidifier, you are so right, dry air will crack an acoustic.

I've got four or five guitars that sit on a rack. The only time they ever get into a case is when I have to take them on the road.

This has been covered extensively in the past. Essentially what wood does not like is rapid changes in humidity. A guitar made of wood can withstand a surprisingly broad humidity level. If the environment you keep the guitars in is stable then you wont have a problem. If it fluctuates widely be prepared to humidify or dehumidify to slow the change down. If you live as I do in a region where seasonal variations are large be prepared to carry out minor setup tasks as the seasons change. From what you describe I would suggest that slow changes in humidity have altered the amount of relief you have on the neck and a small truss rod adjustment should fix it.

To be more specific you would need to provide more info on moisture levels and seasonal changes as well as on which strings and frets the buzzing happens. Keeping a guitar in a case will only slow down humidity changes and not eliminate them. In high humidity areas they can promote mold as moisture can be trapped min the materials of the case.

Thanks guys. I didn't think it was a problem leaving them out, but I was curious. There aren't wild swings in humidity in my basement (in fact it's the most consistent part of the house for temp and humidity) so I think I'm ok. I will pick up a couple of hydrometers to make sure though.

Thanks again.

Thanks guys. I didn't think it was a problem leaving them out, but I was curious. There aren't wild swings in humidity in my basement (in fact it's the most consistent part of the house for temp and humidity) so I think I'm ok. I will pick up a couple of hydrometers to make sure though.

Thanks again.

You don't want a hyDrometer! Get a hyGrometer. This one is well-recommended. I have one that I keep in my Taylor case, got it cheaper on fleabay. I also have a $4 hygrometer (Chinese from fleabay) which is very close in accuracy.

Back