Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Peavey Heritage VTX series....

thedude400 is offline Senior Member

Peavey Heritage VTX series....

Sign in to disable this ad
    I posted not too long ago about having to sell my beloved mesa to buy a car. Well I just bought a Peavey Heritage VTX series from my buddy who only wanted $20 bucks for it. Both speakers blown. It's got 4 6L6GC/J tubes in it that all still work. It's 130 watts and has 2 12" speakers. It's in decent shape and everything works great but the speakers. I just played out of it and though both speakers are blown it was still playing some pretty awesome phasing sounds ( like the lead guitar in Pink Floyd's "Brain Damage")

First question (and I know there will be differing subjective opinions) . But is this amp a total piece of junk or is it halfway decent, worth spending $100 or so on some new speakers?

I've played guitar for 11 years now but I never have been into repairing or ordering parts, this is a first for me. What are some decent replacement speakers for hopefully around $50 a piece/ $75 at most?

A little bump. No one has any comments about this line of amps, or a recommendation for good well priced 12" speakers?

Flamin Lip is offline Dedicated Member
    Dont know about combo models..... but the heads are power monsters that make better Marshall sounds than a real marshall.. have fooled w/ a few VTX heads and was awed by the LoUDNESS of em. Cool crunchy tone too. Get some spkrs on the cheap and rolll baby rolllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!

arcaxis is offline Why 2K?
    I've bought other stuff from here.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=565

Don't know if those speaker prices are good are or not. Also looks like ebay's got a few 12" speakers available also. Do the blown speakers have the ohms labeled on them? And if you're getting sounds out of the blown speakers, are you absolutely sure it's the speakers that are toast and not something in the amp? Tried connecting an external cab to the amp?

Harmony Central reviews didn't make it out to be too bad of an amp.
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...112+Combo/10/1

gremlin is offline Newbie
    ive had a few older peaveys including the heritage VTX (twin) and the one i had originaly had the peavey "scorpion" speakers when they finaly gave up I replaced them with some celestions (about 75.00 a piece from american musical supply) and it turne the vtx into a completely diffrent animal. the celestions seemed to open up the throat of this beast. where the scorpions were a little darker sounding they always seemed to me a bit muffled as if you wrapped the amp in foam rubber. the celestions helped this amp shine it was crisp, clear, and seemed even louder. I guess the celestions were more efficient. this amp should have had celestions in it from the get go.... but peavey during that time was doing some real stupid stuff.

Anfontan is offline Banned by eurt
    I agree on the celestions. I've replaced the the factory speakers on several of my combo amps and have gotten a much louder and cleaner signal out of them by far. The factory ones were all eminence, probably what your blown speakers are....

I think I will go for a couple celestions. The speaker output says4 OHMs minumum so I'm assuming that's what I should be shopping for ? (It doesn't say on the actual speakers) 65-75 watt, 4 ohms.

One final question. I can't afford to buy both speakers right now, can I just buy one and use it for awhile, this won't damage anything?

gremlin is offline Newbie
    it all depends on how you wire them if you wire 2- 8 ohm speakers one way it will total 4 ohms (series i think) if you wire it the other way it will total 8 ohms (paralell i think) I may have it backwards but im sure someone will correct me if im wrong been a while since i wired any speakers.

timthetortoise is offline MADE OF SANDALWOOD
    What that means is you can't wire two 4 ohm speakers in parallel, as that would give you a 2 ohm load which would be too low for the amp and fry it. You could wire two 4 ohm speakers in series, which would give you an 8 ohm load and work just fine (I believe the VTX auto-senses impedance or has a high mismatch tolerance, which makes things a lot easier). My guitarist is waiting for the head version of this amp to arrive.

cephus is offline Slow Children Playing
    Those things are pretty snarly. One thing to consider, it's not like sticking good speakers in a $20 amp are throwing them away. You can keep the speakers and put the amp in the dumpster if it turns out to be not worth it.
    Boo

Do not read this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information