Overdrive for riffage

LeadPaint

I have my guitar tuned down to B and I like to play heavy riffs in a stoner doom style. I currently use a combination of overdrive from my Vox V810 and power amp saturation from my Ampeg GVT15H using an attenuator. I like how I maintain dynamics unlike when using for instance my Big Muff. I don't even put gain all the way up on the Vox.
The Vox V810, another Tube Screamer clone, sounds slightly boxy. It could use a bit more bass. Also the tone control isn't really useful, not much really happens until you turn it way up and tone gets shrill.

Now I'm wondering, could I get better tone by modifying the Vox or should I look out for another overdrive pedal and keep the Vox original? Perhaps a low gain overdrive pedal with a slightly more open (maybe even modern?) tone will suit my needs.

ProCo Rat
I've heard of that one, never tried it though. My guitar is at the shop now, they're installing new pick ups (humbuckers aren't Fenders strong point...) and the bridge is being moved backwards to get compensation right with B tuning. Perhaps I can try a Rat when I go pick up the guitar.

I've heard of that one, never tried it though. My guitar is at the shop now, they're installing new pick ups (humbuckers aren't Fenders strong point...) and the bridge is being moved backwards to get compensation right with B tuning. Perhaps I can try a Rat when I go pick up the guitar.

Find an old one. Mid 90s or sooner.

I've checked some videos on Youtube. Isn't the Rat pretty high gain? Perhaps with the gain turned down it can work similarly as an overdrive but with fatter tone.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. If you want an overdrive The Rat is not for you. Again, my apologies.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. If you want an overdrive The Rat is not for you. Again, my apologies.

Haha, the word overdrive is even in the thread title. :P Anyhow, I like what I've heard from the Rat on Youtube so I might give it a try some day. Thanks for suggesting it :)

Haha, the word overdrive is even in the thread title. :P Anyhow, I like what I've heard from the Rat on Youtube so I might give it a try some day. Thanks for suggesting it :)

I know, I had a massive brain fart. I saw "heavy riffs stoner doom" and my mind immediately went to super sludge fuzz gain. :facepalm:

Lots of bands like that in my area and The Rat is a pretty common with those guys.

Another option if you just want to drive the front end harder and add low end is an EQ pedal in front. The MXR 10-band has EQ bands and volume sliders. You can boost the signal and jack up the low end at the same time. It wont add "dirt". It will just jam the input harder.

I'm going to try an EHX East River Drive next week, it's said to be an Tubescreamer clone with somewhat more low end.

If you want nice low end....check out the Pigtronix Fat Drive.
I don't know man. All the videos on Youtube I've checked seem to have a kind of boxy buzzing tone on everything but the lowest gain settings. I'd give it a try if any local guitar shop has it but chances are pretty slim.

I don't know man. All the videos on Youtube I've checked seem to have a kind of boxy buzzing tone on everything but the lowest gain settings. I'd give it a try if any local guitar shop has it but chances are pretty slim.

Put up an example, like from youtube, of a tone you'd like to sound like.

Well except for that "Karma to Burn" thing, they're all pretty mushy and fuzzy. I'd say the Karma one has the best tone of them all, and something about it sounded quite good to me. So I looked for them live, and wouldn't you know it.....Marshall JCM 800. I thought it had *that* sound to it. One of the coolest amps ever made. :D

Anyway, it's possible that your amp just isn't powerful enough to get the huge clean bottom end you're looking for. A low watt amp is gonna compress and flatten out pretty quickly and driving it with a pedal makes things worse sooner. A more powerful amp and larger cab/more speakers will push more air and naturally sound way bigger. But, you use what you got. Look for some info on those bands and see what gear they use. Maybe that can help focus your search better.

Back