Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ordered one of these .......

Lt. Bob is offline Spread the Daf!

ordered one of these .......

Sign in to disable this ad
    Vox StompLab IG Modeling Effects Pedal | Sweetwater.com

While I much prefer tube amps up to and including just using a little Epi Valve Jr. for very small quiet gigs, there are some solo gigs I do where an amp just isn't worth the effort or can even be in the way.

So on those gigs, reluctant as I am, I've done them with a modeler direct into the PA.

For about 7 years I've used a Rocktron Utopia which, in my opinion, was far and away the most amp-like modeler around at the time I bought it. And I tried a lot of them.
    Sounds really good clean and fairly good distorted.
    But it has started glitching out and stranding me ...... it'll go a month or two and then won't work. I can always fix it but if something doesn't work on a gig I can't trust it or use it anymore.

So for the last few months I've been using my Behringer V-Amp 2. I have a POD and a couple of older Digitech modelers like an RP-7 but I really think the V-Amp sounds the best.
    Nevertheless it's a piece of crap and doesn't sound that great except compared to the even crappier sounding POD and the rest of the modelers I have.

So I need something but I'm really, really poor right now.
    70 bucks though?
    I can do that!! Well .... actually 70 bucks is a LOT of money to me but I have to have something better and I can come up with that.
    It's much newer so it's bound to sound better than the V-Amp plus it can be battery operated so it's a perfect thing to just keep in the truck if an amp glitches out on me.

Oh I hope it sounds good .... I hope it sounds good ... I hope it sounds good .... I hope it sounds good ... I hope it sounds good .... I hope it sounds good ... I hope it sounds good .... I hope it sounds good ...
    If you know the secret codes you can get by the mastering boss on level 8.

Greg_L is offline Gregois le Bloodshit!
    Hmm, interesting. Give us a full report when you get it!
    New Gregor The Terror album! Download - El Bastardo Azul Or Buy the CD!
    New and old stuff - Soundcloud & Reverbnation

jonny deep is offline Disappointing Member
    Looks great going by the description and reviews. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    You can't layer shit with another layer of shit and expect it to sound like anything other than multiple layers of shit

It's certainly cheap enough! Got that goin' for it.

I almost got the IIG becuase it has an expression pedal until I realized the pedal's only 4 or 5 inches long!

Don't thinbk I could use that plus the opening a pedal needs would let sand and salt into it and in Florida that's a serious concern.

arcaxis is online now Why 2K?
    Youtube videos I found look pretty decent on the Stomplab. Have you found a list of preset patches? The owners manual lists the editing parameters, but not the stock patches.

Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    Have you found a list of preset patches? .
    I have not but I haven't really looked either.
    Since I have one ordered it kinda doesn't matter ..... the card's been charged! .
    I'm pretty comfortable with these things and I NEVER use any presets anyway.

But I will let you know all about it soon ...... the very first thing I'll do upon getting it'll be to sit down with a drink and spend an evening programming 4 or 5 patches in depth thru a PA cab until I get them as good as I can get them.
    That's when I'll know how good can it sound ...... well, actually I won't know for sure until I gig with it. Gigs are always different.

I need about 5 patches in a modeler .... clean/clean chorused/crunchy/sustainy lead/sustainy lead with delay.
    The V Amp only does clean very well ..... The Rocktron would do leads and clean fairly well.
    I'm hoping this one'll do all my needs acceptably well.
    I'll definitely let you know the details but I prolly won't get a chance 'till one night next week.

ocnor is offline Lord Of The Thighs
    I watched a few youtube videos and I wasn't impressed. The cleans were ok but the distortions sounded really lame. I don't think that it sounded any better than the V Amp.
    "Sorry buddy...The magic wands are still on backorder."

Quote Originally Posted by ocnor View Post
    I watched a few youtube videos and I wasn't impressed. The cleans were ok but the distortions sounded really lame. I don't think that it sounded any better than the V Amp.
    definitely sounds better than the vamp in the demos I watched but really ..... youtube demos mean almost nothing IMO.
    It'a pretty amazing to me how the vast majority of those putting on demos don't know how to get a good sound outta stuff.
    I don't think I've ever seen a youtube demo be very accurate on stuff that I own and use and know well.
    So I doubt they're accurate on anything else either.
    You have to gig with it to really know.
    Or record if that's your primary purpose. For me it's gigging.

In any case I needed something and this what I can afford so I'll let ya' know for sure.
    If it sucks I'll say so ... I don't get protective about gear I buy like some people who seem to get mad if their gear gets critisized ....... I'll be the FIRST to bash it!

But for live use the V-Amp is pretty poor ..... especially the distortions. Bad enough to be a distraction while playing and I'm pretty good about ignoring bad sound when it's unavoidable. But it's hard for me to totally ignore that buzzy anemic distortion.

stevieb is offline Just another guy, really.
    Marietta, GA- in the shadow of "The Big Chicken."
    If you like the Behri unit well enough, my son has a V-Amp Pro (1-space rack mount) he never uses. Guys come into the studio, they have never used that unit, and the choices and option overwhelm them- in the studio, time is money, no one has time to figure out how to get their sound from a strange piece, so it never gets used. He got it with a bunch of other equipment. You can get his phone number from his website, studio101nola.com He'd probably let it go for $70, maybe less, as it's just gathering dust. He may well also trade it for a more straight-forward pre-amp, something from Marshall would be of particular interest, as he has no Marshalls in the studio.
    Yeah, I'm a mod. But I'd rather be a rocker.

but I said I didn't like the Behringer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Bob View Post
    .... it's a piece of crap and doesn't sound that great except compared to the even crappier sounding POD .....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Bob View Post
    .... for live use the V-Amp is pretty poor ..... especially the distortions. Bad enough to be a distraction while playing .....
    Which is why I'm getting something else.
    And the Pro has the same sounds as the Vamp .... it just adds a lot more connectivity, so I would be swapping one unit that sounds bad for another that would sound the same

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information