The New Tone Thread

Hm.. yeah you're right. Also, notice how no disco musicians are posting tones here? What's up with that? Must be a buncha goddam disco haters in here.

Hey- and big-band guys! What's up with that?? Why can't this thread get more big-band musicians posting tones, huh? Whaddayoos guys all got against Benny Goodman HUH?!?!

If you look a few posts up, you will see Chili's post about getting the thread back on track. Let's not pursue the alleyways.

Miner & Antichef…

Thanks for the invites bros, but there’s too many azzholes that just can’t stop criticizing guitarists that play neoclassical metal here. Must be because they feel inferior due to lack of chops, lack of finger dexterity or losing a girlfriend to a shredder in the past or something. Hell, just the sound of a Floyd Rose even sparks rage and hatred around here…lol

No need to put my music out here for the “Ramones” circle jerk crew to claim to “objectively review” any of it. They’d cry about too much gain, that pick sweeping stuff, those annoying arpeggios and not enough pussy cords for their “personal taste”.

Those haters can’t even stfu after watching a 14 year old little girl playing the crap out of a Malmsteen song……… and if you listen to greg, anyone that respects Randy Rhodes has his dead cock in their mouth, remember when he said that shit? lol

Good luck to both of you, I’m done here, hope to catch up with you rockers somewhere else.
All the best!

Sorry that I allowed myself to be distracted from the main game. I'm just not good at allowing someone to willfully misinterpret my words.
I'm back on topic now.

Speaking of metal and shredding and being on subject. Just been watching this amusing Scottish metalhead on YouTube called CSGuitars.

Seems to actually know what he's talking about and give people good advice about how to sound good and get the best tone they can. His "How Not to Dial In a Metal Tone" video is pretty amusing but he's also got a good demo where he's moving a mic across a speaker cone gradually with a loop playing. All basic stuff but he presents it it a friendly amusing way.

....there’s too many azzholes that just can’t stop criticizing guitarists that play neoclassical metal here. Must be because they feel inferior due to lack of chops, lack of finger dexterity or losing a girlfriend to a shredder in the past or something. Hell, just the sound of a Floyd Rose even sparks rage and hatred around here…lol

No need to put my music out here for the “Ramones” circle jerk crew to claim to “objectively review” any of it. They’d cry about too much gain, that pick sweeping stuff, those annoying arpeggios and not enough pussy cords for their “personal taste”.

Those haters can’t even stfu after watching a 14 year old little girl playing the crap out of a Malmsteen song……… and if you listen to greg, anyone that respects Randy Rhodes has his dead cock in their mouth, remember when he said that shit? lol

You couldn't just leave the thread without firing a parting broadside...?

:facepalm:

Ok, here's a couple tones from today, used the Ibanez guitar for these...It's got a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge position...

Ibanez > DSL100 > G12H > '57

Red/OD1

Resonance: 2
Presence: 1.5
Bass: 8
Mid: 4
Treble: 6
Volume: 6
Gain: 4

Ibanez >DSL > G12H > '57

Ibanez > Chupa > G12H > '57

Resonance: 0
Presence: 2
Bass: 7
Mid: 6
Treble: 4
Era: 80's
Volume: 5
Gain 2: 6.5
Gain 1: 8
Bright 2: C
Bright 1: L
Focus: Off

Ibanez > Chupa > G12H > '57

JDOD,
I've watched some of his vids before - def. the one you linked. He's amusing and he applies good sense and mix logic.

Good stuff miner. I think I prefer the DSL. just seemed to be a bit crisper and defined. I'd be using more powerchords and riffing a bit less than you so I'd put more bottom in it but sounds great for what you're doing. Might be the riff but it immediately made me think of appetite for destruction.

minermanchild - I think both of those sound really good. Good tight bottom end and definition in both of them without being too bright. They surprisingly sound very similar. That blazing hot pickup seems to be a good match for that style of riffing.

Looks like we had a busy weekend in this thread. Lol. I'm not going to get involved with a certain misguided moron's meltdown over a perceived lack of respect given to his precious metal music. You don't have a valid argument when you've posted nothing of value or contribution to this thread.

I'm only going to say, as I've said about a million times before......in this 400+ page thread, and the 200+ page thread that spawned this one, nowhere in either thread has anyone been discouraged from posting tones of any style, sound, genre, or anything. Nor has there been any prerequisite that you must be the best player to ever walk the earth. None of that shit matters. Just post your tones and let's talk about it. Let's talk about guitar tones and how to get them. Let's talk about equipment that makes guitar tones. That's it. It's not fucking rocket science or some idiotic internet competition.

Yeah, decided to go down the route of trying rational discussion with someone who was unable or unwilling to engage

Yeah, decided to go down the route of trying rational discussion with someone who was unable or unwilling to engage

Don't even worry about it.

I went up to Dallas this weekend to see some punk rock shows, even though they obviously can't play the huge venue was packed, and along the way I hit up a few music stores. I played a few very high-end Custom Shop Les Pauls and noticed that a lot of these mom and pop type shops are refusing to carry Gibson's 2015 lineup, or they only have a tiny limited selection. One shop that usually has a full wall of Gibson stuff has now reduced their selection to a little corner with only about a dozen models on the wall - and half of those are Customs or 2014 models. Every manager or employee I talked to cited the same reason - they are rebelling against Gibson's new 2015 model changes. The dumb brass nut, the robot tuning, the plank necks, no one seems to like or want that stuff.

I think Gibson has their business model planted firmly in the big box staore mode with Guitar Center and M.F. and all the online retailers that can carry all that stuff.
Plus they seem to want to focus on collectors that'll buy that $5000 paul and put it in the closet.

Pretty much every economist says the Guitar Center business model is unsustainable.
What'll happen to Gibson when the box stores fail?

Fortunately I don't care ..... they're mostly over priced and the quality isn't better enough to be worth those prices.

I've done that before ...... hell, I think I tried this time .... but it's never worth the effort.

Well, we're glad to have you in the tone thread posting tones ..... glad you're here.

I think Gibson has their business model planted firmly in the big box staore mode with Guitar Center and M.F. and all the online retailers that can carry all that stuff.
Plus they seem to want to focus on collectors that'll buy that $5000 paul and put it in the closet.

Pretty much every economist says the Guitar Center business model is unsustainable.
What'll happen to Gibson when the box stores fail?

Fortunately I don't care ..... they're mostly over priced and the quality isn't better enough to be worth those prices.

You're probably right because GC is hanging on by thread. They keep passing off debt through shrewd business moves and it's all gonna come home to roost one of these days.

It's weird though because the way I see it Gibson is alienating the very people that keep them alive - the regular Joe middle-class gigging guitarist. People familiar with Les Pauls and SGs hate the new necks and all the crap they're doing to the guitars. And the price gouging for guitars that are perceptibly worse doesn't help. So who's left? The total neophyte just getting into their first Gibson, or the wealthy closet collector/purist.

The neophyte - The weird features might not make a difference to the n00b, but the insane pricing could keep the neophyte away, potentially steering them to Epiphone, or worse, something pointy. Lol. I'm not sure what Gibson's relationship with Epi is at this point. They probably will see a chunk of that money. The modern Epiphone is a very nice guitar though. Throw in some quality pickups and maybe put a good nut on an Epi and you've got a very good guitar.

The wealthy collector/purist - The wealthy collector/Gibson purist will probably not be interested in anything from the standard lineup. The changes are too extreme. They want an original, a Custom Shop, or something used from when Gibson still made "regular" Gibson guitars. I consider myself in this category. I'm not wealthy or a collector, but I want a "traditional" Gibson. I'm interested in finding a Custom or a V. I'm gonna be looking used or for a NOS, even if that new old stock is a 2014 model made before the goofy changes. I'm not paying new prices nor do a I want a Gibson with these weird features. IMO some things are best just left alone.

you've mentioned new plank necks on the Gibsons.
i haven't played any new ones so I wonder what you mean by that.

The new necks are wider and flatter than your normal Gibson 50s or 60s neck. It's width is similar to the 70s SG style compound radius neck, but those 70s necks have more girth to them so the width is nothing. This new neck is, dare I say, more like a shredder neck. It's flat and wide. It doesn't really fit in the hand very well. It's not something that anyone couldn't get used to though. It's not unplayable. But if you go from one guitar to another, these new neck profiles require constant adjustment. Like if you're someone that prefers a big chunky 50s style Gibson neck, these new necks will confound and anger you. They are polar opposites. One's big and round and thick, the other is like a fence picket.

Back