The New Tone Thread

I will be following with keen interest. On the Marshall side of things, I'm swimming in the standard 75s, which everyone hates. I've been eyeing alternatives for about two years now, but haven't done anything.

The hate for 75s is mostly cork sniffing and that there are simply many other options. Thousands of very good guitar tracks have been laid through 75s. One of the best things about 75s IMO is that they generally mix very well with other speakers. If you got two of those Creambacks to X-pattern into one of you cabs I bet it would sound bad ass.

A little late, but here's my pedalboard. :facepalm:

Pretty standard, all the usual suspects, nothing special. From top left, going clockwise....
MXR Phase 90
TC Electronics Flashback Delay (effects loop)
MXR 10-band EQ (effects loop)
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah
TC Elec Polytune
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
TS-9 Tube Screamer!
Boss TR-2 Tremolo
Boss BF-3 Flanger

They're all pretty good to me. I like the "effects" pedals - wah, flanger, phaser, trem, etc. I do use them more often these days with this newest band I've joined. I love the trem and wah. The Phase 90 is okay. Not crazy about the Flanger. It's been a bitch to really dial in. I don't use the OD pedals much. They're both set as clean boosts, no dirt. The SD-1 acts better as a pure clean boost to me. It's more transparent than the Tube Screamer. The Tube Screamer imparts it's own mid-hump sound no matter how you use it, so I keep the level backed off a little, but it's good for leads and that's about it. The Flashback Delay is fantastic, but I use it the least because the JVM is the only amp I have with an adjustable effects loop. And the MXR EQ is really just sitting there at this point. It's good at what it does though. It can work as a volume boost for leads on a single channel amp with an effects loop. And the Polytune tuner. It's a tuner.

antichef: Those 75's are actually pretty good speakers dude, like Greg mentioned x-pattern 'em with different speakers & it should sound bad-ass...The V30 would be a good choice because of it's prominent mids...just personal preference really....I highly recommend the G12-65's and the G12H myself but again it's personal preference...

I don't really have a pedalboard but I do have a few pedals now....

Boss SD-1: usually clean boost but I do use some of the dirt occasionally....

Bogner Ecstasy Red: good pedal with quite a few options kinda like another channel ran through a clean amp....I haven't got it to work as a clean boost but don't think it was meant to be used as one....

Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe: Nice sounding (to me anyway) cheap vibe...always wanted one, & I like it a lot....

JOYO Hot Plexi: My least favorite out of all 4 lol...just brittle & harsh sounding with little to no adjustment available to the controls...don't know how it compares to the original but it's ok for a cheap pedal just not what I expected at all....

I just got rid of my PODX3 Live & it had tons of fx, but it sucked the tone of my amps no matter how I used it so it was really useless for me. Might've been ok for playing live but for recording it was terrible.....

No pics of my toys today, posting this from my phone at the new vaj's place....:)

A little late, but here's my pedalboard. :facepalm:

Pretty standard, all the usual suspects, nothing special. From top left, going clockwise....
MXR Phase 90
TC Electronics Flashback Delay (effects loop)
MXR 10-band EQ (effects loop)
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah
TC Elec Polytune
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
TS-9 Tube Screamer!
Boss TR-2 Tremolo
Boss BF-3 Flanger

They're all pretty good to me. I like the "effects" pedals - wah, flanger, phaser, trem, etc. I do use them more often these days with this newest band I've joined. I love the trem and wah. The Phase 90 is okay. Not crazy about the Flanger. It's been a bitch to really dial in. I don't use the OD pedals much. They're both set as clean boosts, no dirt. The SD-1 acts better as a pure clean boost to me. It's more transparent than the Tube Screamer. The Tube Screamer imparts it's own mid-hump sound no matter how you use it, so I keep the level backed off a little, but it's good for leads and that's about it. The Flashback Delay is fantastic, but I use it the least because the JVM is the only amp I have with an adjustable effects loop. And the MXR EQ is really just sitting there at this point. It's good at what it does though. It can work as a volume boost for leads on a single channel amp with an effects loop. And the Polytune tuner. It's a tuner.
That's a nice pedalboard .... pretty much any sound you need is right there.
I have one of the red Ross flangers and that's what you want but you can't have it. I've learned my lesson by selling an old MXR Phase 100 .... stupid, stupid stupid!!! :mad: :D

I guess I should take some pics of mine but it's not all I use. It's common for me to bring a lot of loose pedals to add to the chain when I get the whim to use something.

Nice board greg - do you give any thought to the placement of buffer pedals? I guess I really don't, except that I had been avoiding them altogether, but I'm starting to wonder about it.

Love the tuner - I use the midget version. And nice TS-9. A TS-10 and my 2204 was my complete signal chain in the 1980s

How much do you use the EQ? I go back and forth on whether I need one. I have a cheap-o danelectro that would probably be on my board if I could convert it to true bypass - it's a nice clean boost if nothing else.

What is it with flangers? I've been through 3 in the last two years and don't even have one on my board right now. I like the idea, yes, but I'm never able to pull it off. And if I get close, and then switch from the bridge to the neck pickup, it seems like I have to start over. I had an EH electric mistress in the 80s that you had to plug in for power - I don't remember what I did with it. I think I remember liking it better than anything I've tried recently, but also remember it being harsh sounding.

Guess i'll look for a red Ross one : )

Nice board greg - do you give any thought to the placement of buffer pedals? I guess I really don't, except that I had been avoiding them altogether, but I'm starting to wonder about it.
I've put no thought into that. My signal goes guitar > wah > tuner > SD-1 > TS-9 > Trem > Flanger > Phase 90 > amp. I *think* the Boss pedals are buffered, and I'm almost certain the TS-9 is buffered, so in my setup I have a buffer in the middle (TS-9) and another one (Flanger) second to last, so maybe that's okay. I don't know. I've been thinking about rearranging my clusterfuck of a pedalboard. Maybe swapping some stuff out. I don't need two OD pedals since I rarely even use one of them. I'm thinking just one good clean boost would be good. I've got my eye on the EP Boost, Echoplex preamp, or a TC Spark. I need to try em out.

Love the tuner - I use the midget version. And nice TS-9. A TS-10 and my 2204 was my complete signal chain in the 1980s
Haha yeah, Tube Screamers and 2203/2204s are a perfect match.

How much do you use the EQ? I go back and forth on whether I need one. I have a cheap-o danelectro that would probably be on my board if I could convert it to true bypass - it's a nice clean boost if nothing else.
I really don't ever use the EQ anymore. I used to use it in the effects loop for some final tone shaping on my JCM 900s, but they're long gone. I probably should use it as my clean boost instead of something else since I don't like the dirt in any of my pedals. I can set the EQ flat and just bump up the input and level sliders for about 12db boost. I'm not a searing high gain kind of guy, so that would probably work great. The only bitch about the EQ pedal is that it's an 18v pedal and it needs it's own plug.

What is it with flangers? I've been through 3 in the last two years and don't even have one on my board right now. I like the idea, yes, but I'm never able to pull it off. And if I get close, and then switch from the bridge to the neck pickup, it seems like I have to start over. I had an EH electric mistress in the 80s that you had to plug in for power - I don't remember what I did with it. I think I remember liking it better than anything I've tried recently, but also remember it being harsh sounding.
That's another area that I could consolidate and compromise. I'd give up both my current Flanger and Phase 90 for one really nice sounding mono Flanger in a small package. I think Flangers being Flangers is the problem with Flangers. They're supposed to be a stereo effect and it's tough to find one that will just sound killer in mono. I've never heard those Ross things that I'm aware of, but I'm not interested because they're too big.

I believe the Ross is what what used for the opening of Barracuda. That's what they sound like ..... and yes they're too big and they're also AC powered so they're a PIA.
I only have it for studio use but ..... you want to research and see what small pedal might be a clone.

I believe the Ross is what what used for the opening of Barracuda. That's what they sound like ..... and yes they're too big and they're also AC powered so they're a PIA.
I only have it for studio use but ..... you want to research and see what small pedal might be a clone.

That's pretty cool. Yeah the Barracuda sound is subtle but there. Ideally I'd like a flanger that gives a swooshy woosh that doesn't mangle the sound going through it. Like a blanket of woosh over the unaltered guitar tone. That's would be great.

I've never bothered mounting them on a board - I think I will when my house purchase goes through and I can get them all wired up instead of relying on batteries. Do you need a separate power supply for each one? Or has someone got a link to unit that can supply half a dozen pedals?

My pedals are, in order. Cry Baby>Boss DS1>Boss HM2>Marshall Jackhammer>Danelectro Flanger (Fab Flange).
When I am not plugged into the computer I probably use the amp distortion channel (Peavey Bandit) as much as anything else. Basically gives me a choice of 4 distortion tones depending on my mood!

I don't really use the HM-2 anymore - it's beaten almost to death. If I want a lot of distortion now I use the Jaif Ickhammer which is really versatile. The Fab Flange is shit; I actually thought it wasn't working when I first got it. I am after an old Boss Flanger.

I tend to add delay on the computer - I don't use it that often though.

What order to you guys like your pedals?

I've also got an old DOD Grunge pedal floating around somewhere - not seen that in a while though - hopefully it will turn up when I move house.

I've never bothered mounting them on a board - I think I will when my house purchase goes through and I can get them all wired up instead of relying on batteries. Do you need a separate power supply for each one? Or has someone got a link to unit that can supply half a dozen pedals?
Visual Sound 1 Spot Combo Pack | Musician's Friend
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+ Power Supply | Musician's Friend
MXR DC Brick Power Supply | Musician's Friend
T-Rex Engineering 9V Fuel Tank Junior Guitar Effects Pedal Power Supply | Musician's Friend

What order to you guys like your pedals?
For me, however they fit on the board so I can accurately access them with my clumsy feet..

Yeah greg that's a tour-ready pedalboard if I've ever seen one.
I'd go a similar route, with a board for playing out. MXR or Way Huge are my fav go-to brands for workhorses.
Tubescreamer type circuits+Marshall is legendary. But so is FuzzFace+Marshall...and I'm currently more into fuzz+dirty amp than just a boosted dirty amp guy. Takes a bit more effort to dial in due to the finicky nature, and you've gotta play extra loud...but challenge accepted!

I think the Boss hate comes from people who are unsatisfied with their base gear. The plethora of dirt pedals are best used to take your existing clean or driven tones up a notch, and only sound underwhelming...even unwelcoming when used as the fundamental sound...typically in unexperienced hands.
But then something like the Boss CE-2 or DD-7 can be found everywhere, even secondhand for under $100, and always has a use or 2. Or 5.

Also it's late but great stash of stompboxes @miro :thumbs up:

Yeah I'm one of the guys that generally dislikes the "dirt" sound of almost every stompbox out there. I get the validity of using pedals into a clean amp for guys that need a lot of options, but it's just not my thing. A little signal boost into the front end is all I ever want, and I don't even want that 99% of the time.

Well, I *thought* I had posted a picture of my pedal board, but apparently the attachment get lost - here it is:

IMG_20141215_074148.jpg

There's one difference in that the Kalamazoo has been replaced with the modified Boss DS-1 that I mentioned earlier. Here's the chain:

TC Electronic PolyTune (which I'm considering putting at the other end because it mutes everything nicely) -> Fulltone Octafuzz -> Budda Wah (modified to have purple LED) -> Bypass pedal which surrounds the -> Mooger Fooger LFO/Modulator -> Boss DS-1 (not pictured) -> LovePedal Echophonic delay -> Malekko Ekko delay -> TC Electronic Ditto looper. Underneath the board is a Voodoo Labs power supply.

The pedals I use most are the fuzz and the wah -- either together or each by itself - really like them both. Using them together sounds wildly different from using either one alone.

That MoogerFooger is a space hog, and I have to have the bypass pedal to go with it, and I only use it for a short time on one song. Not sure how much longer it will stay there, but if I take it off, it's going to the mixing rig, for sure - I dig it. The delays are set up differently - one with multiple repeats, and the other with one repeat to be more like a phaser. I hardly ever use either of them, but I like them both.

I hardly ever use the Ditto looper, but when I do it works well - the only problem is that I have to watch the input levels, because if I record a loop with a high input level (i.e., most of what I do), then playing back that loop (even at a reduced volume) together with whatever I'm putting on top of it seems to oversaturate the input to the amp such that the recorded loop kind of drops out. Not a problem with clean, low intensity loops. I'm thinking that's more a problem with the amp input, or just with the general practice of cramming things into one input than it is with the pedal.

Damn that moogerfooger is fooging huge.

Did you make those George L cables yourself? I've been thinking of going that route. I need some custom lengths and angles to really make my board work the way I want it to.

In other news, I got a new mic to play with. Shure SM7b. It's big and gigantic and handles loud noises well, but it's not really a "cab mic". I'm gonna try it out though. What the hell.

Also, public service announcement, if you have a full size 4x12, do not get the Audix Cab Grabber mic mount method of madness. It's shit. I'm sure it's great for combos, but it's practically useless for big 4x12s.

I really like the sound of a DS1 through a clean amp

That was my "rig" when I was like 15-16. I'm not making fun of you or anything. That's really what I used. I had a Memphis Strat copy, a Boss DS-1, and a Peavey KB-100 SS keyboard amp! The guitar was actually pretty nice. It was like a white pearl iridescent body with just a hint of flake in it. Rosewood neck. Nice guitar. I played the amp literally cranked. That thing would get so hot that it warped the tolex over the chassis. I can't imagine it sounded real good, but I remember at the time thinking it was the greatest thing ever. Simpler times......

That was my "rig" when I was like 15-16. I'm not making fun of you or anything. That's really what I used. I had a Memphis Strat copy, a Boss DS-1, and a Peavey KB-100 SS keyboard amp! The guitar was actually pretty nice. It was like a white pearl iridescent body with just a hint of flake in it. Rosewood neck. Nice guitar. I played the amp literally cranked. That thing would get so hot that it warped the tolex over the chassis. I can't imagine it sounded real good, but I remember at the time thinking it was the greatest thing ever. Simpler times......

That sounds a bit like me at 16 playing my Epiphone Les Paul through a Boss Metal Zone (MT2) into a Marshall VS15R. I thought it sounded amazing. I imagine in reality it sounded pretty awful.

Back