The New Tone Thread

I enjoyed the Strutter take Greg, but liked the jumpered sample even more.
I don't have enough aural memory to go further.

I enjoyed the Strutter take Greg, but liked the jumpered sample even more.
I don't have enough aural memory to go further.

Ha thanks Ray. You like the jumper clip huh? Interesting. It's not something I usually do, and when I do I usually just blend a little taste of the second channel into the main channel. A 1:1 blend is too much for me.

One of my bands opened up for The Vibrators last week. I had the Plexi and the JMP 2204 up on stage with two cabs and the guitarist from The Vibrators came up and asked if he could use my rig and how he could patch the channels together. I showed him how to do it, what it sounds like, then told him "no you're not using my amps". I don't think he expected that. :D

Ha thanks Ray. You like the jumper clip huh? Interesting. It's not something I usually do, and when I do I usually just blend a little taste of the second channel into the main channel. A 1:1 blend is too much for me.

One of my bands opened up for The Vibrators last week. I had the Plexi and the JMP 2204 up on stage with two cabs and the guitarist from The Vibrators came up and asked if he could use my rig and how he could patch the channels together. I showed him how to do it, what it sounds like, then told him "no you're not using my amps". I don't think he expected that. :D

I let someone use my stuff once. They broke my mic stand and stole my mic. I won't be doing that again.

I let someone use my stuff once. They broke my mic stand and stole my mic. I won't be doing that again.

This guy kind of acted like it was a foregone conclusion that he was gonna use my amps. Like "hey I'm in the Vibrators and I will use your stuff". Bitch please. I didn't even stay to see them.

Lol....that's funny dude, really funny....I think the name "The Vibrators" is hilarious too...what was their second band name choice "The Dildo's"???

My nephew keeps hinting around about using my DSL & 4x12, but it ain't gonna happen either...I mean, yeah, he's a preacher that plays in a gospel rock band, but seriously, this is my shit, not his. He's got his own shit, & if he wants a DSL & 4x12, then he needs to buy his own...

This guy kind of acted like it was a foregone conclusion that he was gonna use my amps. Like "hey I'm in the Vibrators and I will use your stuff". Bitch please. I didn't even stay to see them.
Lol...Funny stuff...

On the speaker thing, I'm looking at some higher power options, probably wait until next week to pull the trigger....Yes, I have the $$$, but don't wanna put myself in a pinch because I bought new guitar amp speakers....I already did that with the amps...:D.

The Vibrators are a legit first wave punk band. Well, they were at one time a legit punk band. They're basically a cover band now with only the drummer being an original member as far as I know.

Ok, another blended clip, same thing basically, but I left the lid opened on the ISO cab....I did get the volume up on the Chupa though, but used the 80's mode as it seems to be quite a bit lower in volume, hopefully I won't blow my Greenback like this...:D.

No reverb on this clip either, gonna try to see if that's what's causing the boxy-ness, or if it's the ISO cab itself....

To me, it sounds a little better compared to the last clip...

Signal chain:
LP > Chupa/DSL > Greenback > '57

Chupacabra:
Resonance: 10
Presence: 10
Bass: 10
Mid: 7
Treble: 7
Master: 8
Gain 2: 3
Gain 1: 3
Era: 80's
Bright 2: L
Bright 1: C
Focus: off

DSL:
Resonance: 5
Presence: 8
Bass: 8
Mid: 5
Treble: 6
Master: 3
Gain: 6

OD 1

Open ISO Cab

I was gonna post some more last night, but was dead tired....It's almost that time again too....Lemme know if you think this is any better...

I don't think I've talked about it in the tone thread but paying our bills and not losing the house has been a constant serious issue around here for the last 3 years.
Wifey finally got job that doesn't suck the beginning of the year and we've sorta stabilized.
Not the reason for the post ..... just background info.

Greg knows about all this and that's why I'm posting this ..... because Greg's a car guy and he'll appreciate the gig wifey has.
She works for this company as associate-publisher .... actually national sales but they think associate-publisher sounds better: Grassroots Motorsports

And this is live steaming from an event she's working today in Gainesville: GRM Challenge on USTREAM: Live feed from Grassroots Motorsports $2014 Challenge. Racing

Ok, another blended clip, same thing basically, but I left the lid opened on the ISO cab....I did get the volume up on the Chupa though, but used the 80's mode as it seems to be quite a bit lower in volume, hopefully I won't blow my Greenback like this...:D.

No reverb on this clip either, gonna try to see if that's what's causing the boxy-ness, or if it's the ISO cab itself....

To me, it sounds a little better compared to the last clip...

Signal chain:
LP > Chupa/DSL > Greenback > '57

Chupacabra:
Resonance: 10
Presence: 10
Bass: 10
Mid: 7
Treble: 7
Master: 8
Gain 2: 3
Gain 1: 3
Era: 80's
Bright 2: L
Bright 1: C
Focus: off

DSL:
Resonance: 5
Presence: 8
Bass: 8
Mid: 5
Treble: 6
Master: 3
Gain: 6

OD 1

Open ISO Cab

I was gonna post some more last night, but was dead tired....It's almost that time again too....Lemme know if you think this is any better...
It's still pretty tubby to me dude. It's gotta be the box itself or all that bass and resonance you're dialing in. I really don't understand using the resonance control at all. I find it ugly and unnecessary - it adds the bouncy tubbiness that IMO is hurting your clips. Try a clip without the resonance. I get what it's there for but I'm thinking you maybe don't need it. And try this same clip with the 4x12 turned up loud when you can. See what differences it makes.

I don't think I've talked about it in the tone thread but paying our bills and not losing the house has been a constant serious issue around here for the last 3 years.
Wifey finally got job that doesn't suck the beginning of the year and we've sorta stabilized.
Not the reason for the post ..... just background info.

Greg knows about all this and that's why I'm posting this ..... because Greg's a car guy and he'll appreciate the gig wifey has.
She works for this company as associate-publisher .... actually national sales but they think associate-publisher sounds better: Grassroots Motorsports

And this is live steaming from an event she's working today in Gainesville: GRM Challenge on USTREAM: Live feed from Grassroots Motorsports $2014 Challenge. Racing

That's pretty cool. I've seen that magazine. I used to be very involved with a grass-roots drag circuit called the NMCA. Very fun. Hard work, but fun. Bad ass cars.

Great story Greg. Arrogance on his part. Loaning gear i to a friend is dangerous - to a fill in for a once name band it's just silly.
There was a time when drag & dirt racing along with rail magazines were my world.

And tonight, this happened.

No one tried to use my shit tonight though.

That's the 70s Tribute in the pic but I played the Angus SG into the JCM 800. Sooooooo awesome. We suck as a band but damn I sound good. :D

Greg - Do I have this right? In that pic one amp is driving both cabs and the 2nd head is backup? How do you connect the cabs; both to the head or cab-to-cab?

*It sounds like a stupid question even to me but I've never run two 4x12s off one amp.

Ok dude, the reason I use the resonance is trying to make it sound like a bigger cab (4x12 instead of a 1x12)....I'll give it a shot with it turned off...it's probably my ISO cab though, so I'm gonna have to go back to "start" & try to figure that fucker out...LOL...

And, I need some advice from you guys...I've got a trade offer, a guy on Craig'slist wants to trade me his Gibson LP Studio for my T15 & DSL-1H...Whaddya think??? Here's the link to the guitar:

Trade 2012 GIBSON Les Paul Studio - Taylor, Martin, Jackson

Looks like a 2012, black-matte finish version of what I've got, although the p'ups are different....Lemme know what you guys think, I'm gonna think about it for a couple days...It'd be a couple hours drive each way for me, but I really don't mind, especially for gear....:D.

Greg - Do I have this right? In that pic one amp is driving both cabs and the 2nd head is backup? How do you connect the cabs; both to the head or cab-to-cab?

*It sounds like a stupid question even to me but I've never run two 4x12s off one amp.

Yup, one head (the one on the right) is driving both cabs. The head on the left is backup and for visual appeal. It's no big deal to hook up. The typical way to hook it up is to run a speaker cable from the head to each cab. Most heads have two speaker outs, some old Marshalls have four, so you simply just run the cables to the cabs, and set the amp for half the cabs' rating. Like with two 16 ohm cabs, you'd set the amp for 8 ohms. No problem. Bring the noise.

I've hard-wired all of my cabs to be 16 ohm mono, and they can also be daisy-chained, so I usually go from head to cab, then from cab to cab.

Ok dude, the reason I use the resonance is trying to make it sound like a bigger cab (4x12 instead of a 1x12)....I'll give it a shot with it turned off...it's probably my ISO cab though, so I'm gonna have to go back to "start" & try to figure that fucker out...LOL...

And, I need some advice from you guys...I've got a trade offer, a guy on Craig'slist wants to trade me his Gibson LP Studio for my T15 & DSL-1H...Whaddya think??? Here's the link to the guitar:

Trade 2012 GIBSON Les Paul Studio - Taylor, Martin, Jackson

Looks like a 2012, black-matte finish version of what I've got, although the p'ups are different....Lemme know what you guys think, I'm gonna think about it for a couple days...It'd be a couple hours drive each way for me, but I really don't mind, especially for gear....:D.

Fuck no. That's a 500-600 dollar guitar, tops, and you already have one. I wouldn't give up two amps for that guitar.

Fuck no. That's a 500-600 dollar guitar, tops, and you already have one. I wouldn't give up two amps for that guitar.
Lol...I figured the Gerg would be quick to answer this....hahaha....I'm not trading for that guitar dude, but I have found a 1960B cab, with T-75's & V30's x-'d for $450....I've e-mailed him & offered my DSL-1H for the cab...To me, that'd be a fair trade, it's about $100 less than I'd be asking for my 'lil Marshall, but, I never use it anymore, plus, the DSL100 has all the tones it does covered, & then some...

one thing you have to consider with the ISO cab is how much volume of air is in the cab behind the speaker?
That's really crucial as it has a lot to do with how big it sounds.
For instance ...... with a 4x12 you have a lot of airspace inside the cab ..... even if you disconnect all bu ta single 12 that speaker has all that volume of air in the cab.

If you read anything about cab design you'll find out that the volume of air in a closed back cab dramatically affects the sound and even affects the frequency response of the speaker in it.
In fact, not all 12s 'want' the same airspace. The speakers 'Q' is important and can have one 12 'wanting' a different airspace than a different 12 might.

So if the volume of air backloading the speaker is too small then the speaker is, for lack of a better word, constrained and can't belt out the lower freqs like it should while in the right sized cab, the cab itself reinforces those lower freqs making the speaker sound bigger than it is.

I don't know the volume of that ISO cab but I bet that's part of your problems with it.

Greg - Another oddball stupid question - Are two cabs better than one? lol Is it louder (I wouldn't think) more "massive" - pushing more air? What's it feel like standing in front of that? Are you using protection? (ear protection - lol)

Back