The New Tone Thread

I started building my plexi clone today. I've put the chassis together with all the switches and pots and transformers, etc., screwed in/on. Going to do the wiring and soldering components in tomorrow - maybe I'll even be able to post some tone!
cool! where'd ya' get it?

Granger 50w Plexi

This amp looks to be what I'm after too, although it's a little more expensive, but it's got the added gain, fx loop, & PPIMV....So, I'd say my choice will be between the Granger, & the Ceriatone Chupacabra....Gonna think about both of 'em for a little while & try to decide which one I think would be better...From what I can find, both are bad-ass, built really well, & both should have "that" tone....

No toans today, but I have been working on the "album" a little more this weekend...

Off to work guys, see you all tonight....

poor greg got banned

probly 2 weeks??

unless chater la is making a statement

he will have more time to enjoy his amps

I read the thread about it last night, but figured he'd be back by now....Wonder what he did this time??? I just thought he'd took a few days off from the forum or something....I really had no idea until I saw the thread about it...

ooh ..... link please ..... :)

I talked with him ...... he's been out of town anyway and didn't even know about it. He's been reinstated so we should see him soon.

but I wanna read that thread ...... which is it?

Hey guys,
Well, I've narrowed the choices on the new amp down to 2: It's gonna be either the Granger M50, or the Ceriatone Chupacabra....The Granger is a little more expensive, but the shipping on the Chupa puts it at about the same price....

So, have to play the waiting game until this weekend & see how much (if any) $$$ I get at the company picnic....

Glad to see you back Gerg, this place just ain't the same without ya....:D.

Off to work!!!!

Last shift this week....at work they gave us $100 in an envelope yesterday, probably a little more today (they're afraid if they give us all of it, we'll lay off work drunk...LOL), & should get a little more tomorrow at the company picnic....I probably won't stay there all day to see if I get any more $$$, I think I'm just gonna show up & take what's guaranteed, I see enough of those fuckers all week anyway....So, hopefully I'll have a couple/few more dollars to add to the funds for the new amp....

Not 100% sure, but I'm leaning toward the Ceriatone Chupacabra, from the clips I've heard, it's got "that" sound, & everyone I've asked says they build high-quality, kick-ass amps...I'd like to have both the Granger & the Chupa, but that ain't gonna happen....yet....More than likely I'll get the Chupa though, even with the outrageous shipping costs (I'm still researching about the US distributor too), it'll be a little cheaper than the Granger...I know I said I wasn't gonna skimp on this one, but I still wanna save as much $$$ as I can on it.....Pretty fuckin' excited about it to be honest, & if all goes well, I should have a kick-ass birthday present for myself...:).

I'm thinking of selling my little amps too, as they're gathering dust....I've only had 'em switched on a couple/few times since I got the DSL100, & to be honest, I could probably get enough out of the Tweaker & DSL-1H to buy the Chupa....

Gotta run, off to work to get this last fuckin' shift over this week....See you guys tonight.....

Post some toans of your plexi Greg....

You seem to have a large dose of right place, right time, right price Greg!
:D
Somehow good karma has found me. I don't know why, but I aint gonna turn my back on it. I must have been good in a past life because I'm pretty rotten in this one. The next reincarnation of Greg is gonna have it really tough.

$350! WTF?

Nice.

Yeah, but you know, it's kind of like the lottery - you can't win if you don't play. There's a little GC right by my house. I could literally walk there if I dare try to cross I-10 on foot. I suppose I could go under the overpass, but that's out of the way. Anyway, I'm always in there and scoping out the other Houston stores online. I was in there today looking for a small 4-pedal-pedalboard before I just make one myself. They didn't have a pedalboard for my needs so I was looking at some basses, trying to show my wife the difference between a Jazz and a P-Bass. Then I was showing her why a Gibson Thunderbird is cooler than both of them. Then I saw my new SG hanging on the opposite wall. Silverburst SG? I'm intrigued. I've always been a sucker for the silverburst finish. It wasn't there 2 days ago (I was there), so I went to check it out. It's literally like brand new, but it was a new return from another store, so it's technically used. But there's not one single mark on it anywhere. Not even a scrape on a fret. It's like it was never played. No belt-buckle rash, no nothing. Whoever had this guitar did next to nothing with it. So I plugged it into the baddest amp in the place (A Marshall DSL) turned it up, and banged out some shit. Everything worked. Plays nice. It's got a neat neck profile. I fucking like it. I was hoping I wouldn't because I need another guitar like I need a bloody butthole, but fuck, I liked it. And the price is stupid. I had to buy it just so no one else would. I tried to haggle em down further, like hey, yall eat the tax. They wouldn't so I had them throw in a set of Schaller strap locks. That's about equal to the tax, and I need them anyway, so I'm happy with the whole thing.

I'm really interested in getting to know these mini-humbuckers. I've never had minis before. Supposedly their output is pretty mild, just the way I like it. Seemed that way in the store.

Damn Greg, you're fuckin' killin' me....LOL....Nice score dude, an SG is the next guitar on my list dude, but I want one with full-sized 'buckers....Most likely, I'll set the action a little high & use it for slide, my LP isn't worth a fuck for slide, as the action is too low....

Nice man, nice!!!!

This $$$ I've got saved up for the new amp is burning a hole in my pocket, but I will resist buying anything else until I order the Chupacabra....maybe...:laughings:.

Seriously I hope they give us a couple hundred at the picnic tomorrow that'll be $300 I didn't even count on this week alone...it's getting close...I'm not sticking around for any of the other shit, fuck 'em, taking what's guaranteed & burning a trail...

I'm hoping I'll get it ordered & it will arrive around the first of November, just in time for my birthday, which is the 9th....

And, with Christmas coming up, I'm gonna have to decide what Santa is gonna bring me this year....might be the SG, might be another 4x12 cab, dunno.....probably the SG....maybe.....:D.

Greg,
Any knowledge of the marshal valvestate VS100 combo?
I'm babysitting one at the moment and probably won't plug it in if it's more state than valve.
Oh, & see beloe the picture of 2 Guyatone Mosrite copies "
m also babysitting. One is still being restored, the other - old gold p/ups'n'all is in full working condition.
mosrite copies b.jpg

Damn Greg, you're fuckin' killin' me....LOL....Nice score dude, an SG is the next guitar on my list dude, but I want one with full-sized 'buckers....Most likely, I'll set the action a little high & use it for slide, my LP isn't worth a fuck for slide, as the action is too low....

Nice man, nice!!!!

This $$$ I've got saved up for the new amp is burning a hole in my pocket, but I will resist buying anything else until I order the Chupacabra....maybe...:laughings:.

Seriously I hope they give us a couple hundred at the picnic tomorrow that'll be $300 I didn't even count on this week alone...it's getting close...I'm not sticking around for any of the other shit, fuck 'em, taking what's guaranteed & burning a trail...

I'm hoping I'll get it ordered & it will arrive around the first of November, just in time for my birthday, which is the 9th....

And, with Christmas coming up, I'm gonna have to decide what Santa is gonna bring me this year....might be the SG, might be another 4x12 cab, dunno.....probably the SG....maybe.....:D.
The new SGs are stupid expensive these days. SG Standards are as much as Les Pauls. That's crazy to me. Not because an SG is a lesser guitar, but because I'm sure not as much build work goes into them. An SG is a slab body, no maple cap, no body binding, it's like a boat oar with pickups and strings, so what gives? I do like the shit out of them though. Always have. I've also discovered that these minibuckers in the one I got use the exact same body route as P-90s. Hmmmmmm. I love P-90s, and if I don't like these minibuckers, you can probably guess what will go in their place....

Greg,
Any knowledge of the marshal valvestate VS100 combo?
I'm babysitting one at the moment and probably won't plug it in if it's more state than valve.
Oh, & see beloe the picture of 2 Guyatone Mosrite copies "
m also babysitting. One is still being restored, the other - old gold p/ups'n'all is in full working condition.
View attachment 89610

I really like the exaggerated contours of the one on the left. Those jap builders love some offset body guitars. I like em too. Mosrite is still a popular company in Japan. Over here, it's just a little niche oddity for rich surf guys and a few punk rockers. It's just like the US to turn it's back on on our own products that the rest of the world loves.

Those Valvestate Marshalls have a pretty loyal following among Marshall people. They're generally regarded as one of the better hybrid amps out there. Tube preamp, SS power section. I've never really messed with them much myself, but I've heard people get good sounds out of them. Is it a Super Lead or 2203? Hell no, not even close, but it's a million times better than Marshall's current all-SS stuff. Turn that bitch on and try it out.

Back