The New Tone Thread

Bump...sorry I double posted the same clips guys....I had a couple burgers & some fries on my mind....:D.

Greg: I know a lot of time I use too much gain to really let the amp's true tone come through, guess I'm still lost in the hair metal thing, & probably always will be...

I'm pretty amazed at what a difference there is between the Greenback & V30 speaker swap....I didn't change anything else, just the speaker....

Motherfucker I dread tomorrow...the big 3-day weekend has fuckin' ruined me...LOL...

Ok, here's a couple more, same exact amp settings, same guitar, & I got the mic as close as I could...(I can just swing the boom around in the ISO cab, & get it pretty damn close to where it was when I change a speaker....)...

Sorry 'bout the double post, I actually thought I hadn't posted the previous clips & hit the button again....sorry...LOL...

Anyway, here's the clips:

LP>DSL>V30>'57

LP>SD-1>DSL>'57

And, I know my clips ain't nowhere near an AC-DC tone man, probably is too much gain, probably ain't enough power tube saturation, probably ain't a lot of things, but, for what it is, I'm really liking the DSL100...IMO it's a great amp, it's fuckin' loud, has enough versatility to do about anything I'd wanna do, and best of all....it's mine...

Lemme know what you guys think of the V30 clips...

Yeah, of those two, I personally like the SD-1 clip better. They both sound good. I think the Greenback clips got your closer to "AC/DC", but fuck that, all of these would be very usable for your own sound.

The Greenbacks and V30 are totally different animals. But goddamn they sound awesome individually and together. It took me a little while to warm up to V30s, but I'm on board now.

Thanks dude, I'm really liking the DSL100 man, I think it's great...The green channel is a little flubby sounding on the low end (the crunch mode in particular), but the SD-1 tightens it up pretty nicely when used as a clean boost...I'd thought about ditching that pedal a while back, but since getting the new amp, it ain't going nowhere...

Out of the 3 od pedals I have, the SD-1 is really the only one I can use a clean boost...The JOYO doesn't have enough adjustment in the gain or volume knobs to do this, & the Bogner Red really doesn't either...I don't think either of those were intended to be used like that, so the SD-1 is definitely staying....

And, I'm seriously thinking of ditching the home-made ISO cab, & just buying a commercially made one...Yeah, mine works pretty good, it does what it's intended to do, killing most of the noise in the room, & yeah, I can swap out speakers, change & move the mics pretty quickly, but for fuck's sake this thing is so big & heavy, it actually takes 2 people to get it out of the house...Plus, being honest, I didn't do the best job building it, either...LOL...It also take up quite a bit of space, & like I mentioned, space is becoming an issue...So, I'll probably just buy a Jet City ISO, & do a couple/few little mods to it (like upgrading the foam that's inside, maybe adding another mic input plate to use 2 mics, & possibly put the casters/wheels from my home-made ISO on it so I can roll it around if needed)...Yeah, I can still use my 4x12 during the day up to about 9 pm, but in all reality, I'm never home at that time, I'm usually at work, & most if not all of my recording time is late at night after work...I've been watching videos comparing the Randall & Jet City ISO's, & from what I can gather, the Jet City would be the better buy for me....Again, space is becoming an issue, & the Jet City would take up less than half the space this behemoth home-made ISO does...That'd give me room for more gear...:D.

I'm gonna go the other way ..... I reallyi like the straight DSL clip ....... the DS1 makes it sound thinish ..... but the music being played is different enough that that may be a factor too.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob, the SD-1 does kill the bottom end, but it also tightens it up IMO, which is good...The green channel on the DSL is a little flabby, so for me, it works pretty good...

According to what I bring home this week, think I'm just gonna pull the trigger on the Jet City ISO cab...I know I've already got a home-made one, but jeez, what a fuckin' pain to move...I did put wheels/casters on it, but it's still big, heavy, & awkward...Like I've mentioned, space has become an issue, & the Jet City ISO will take up less than half the space my home-made monster does...Again, just according to how much $$$ I've got this week, but pretty sure I'll be able to swing it...I should've done this a long time ago, but didn't....

Still thinking about the trade Bob, not really sure to be honest...I'd really like bass/mid/treble, & an fx loop....Gimme a few more days to ponder on it man....

Thanks again for the listen & comments...

So my Labor Day gig was noon to 4 right on the beach in the sun.
Gonna be hot hot hot ...... no biggie ...... I'm mostly indifferent to temp extremes.
Besides ..... I own a fan.

But I'm not wanting to use my Stinnett because I don't want to be pouring sweat all over that nitro finish plus near the beach everything gets coated with sand and/or salt.
Which guitar will I take? I pretty much use the Stinnett all the time for everything so I don't even know which guitars have decent strings on them.

Eventually I decide I'll take my black strat ..... meh, it's a strat .... who gives a shit?
Gotta get up early but I take the time to go through the case and make sure I have picks check, and a slide check.

Get to the gig plenty early 'cause it's the longest load-in I've ever done except for a few Disney or Universal resort things.
I'm talking freakin' forever and 2 loads worth too!
So finally I'm about all set-up .... PA's pumpin' out some music ..... keyboard's going ..... sax is on the stand .... time to get the guitar ..... get the picks and slide and put them where they go ..... grab the strat and ....... no strap? Did I actually, fucking look in my fucking case this fucking morning and not notice I didn't have a strap?!!?!!

"Ah .... dammit!"

:laughings::laughings::laughings:

OK, ..... mind's in overdrive 'cause it's time to go ...... van's in Valet and way too far away to go look for a strap and I'm pretty sure there isn't one in it anyway.
Maybe I can just hold it in my lap ..... ummmm, nope.
Besides, when I pick up the sax the guitar needs to hang so ......

Well, I can tie this green 6' zip-cord extension cord around the strap buttons.
Actually not as easy as it sounds .... there really isn't quite enough room under a strap button to tie an extension cord securely but I put the git on a table and bore down on that thing and it mostly stayed on.
Then the cord really cut into my shoulder so I took a beer koozee and shoved it under the cord right where it cut the worst.
It kept falling out, of course, and anytime I played sax i'd have to put it back.

I really wish I had a picture .... a green extension cord for a strap with the plug dangling from one button, the socket dangling from the other .... and a beer koozee stuck up on my shoulder!

Hahahahaha ......

Thanks Bob, the SD-1 does kill the bottom end, but it also tightens it up IMO, which is good...The green channel on the DSL is a little flabby, so for me, it works pretty good...
But is it "flabby" in a mix? I thought the JVM's Crunch channel was a little loose and flabby too at first all by itself, but in a mix it's nice and full, and live it's pretty awesome.

According to what I bring home this week, think I'm just gonna pull the trigger on the Jet City ISO cab...I know I've already got a home-made one, but jeez, what a fuckin' pain to move...I did put wheels/casters on it, but it's still big, heavy, & awkward...Like I've mentioned, space has become an issue, & the Jet City ISO will take up less than half the space my home-made monster does...Again, just according to how much $$$ I've got this week, but pretty sure I'll be able to swing it...I should've done this a long time ago, but didn't....
Those are nice iso cabs. I've seen a few in person and they seem really well put together. What about the speaker though? What if it's a piece of shit? That's always been my issue with iso-cabs and big power heads. They almost always rely on a single 100w speaker that's not always the best sounding choice. Then you swap in something good and you lose it's high power handling capability. I guess you can't have it all. How easy is it to swap speakers in that cab?

So my Labor Day gig was noon to 4 right on the beach in the sun.
Gonna be hot hot hot ...... no biggie ...... I'm mostly indifferent to temp extremes.
Besides ..... I own a fan.

But I'm not wanting to use my Stinnett because I don't want to be pouring sweat all over that nitro finish plus near the beach everything gets coated with sand and/or salt.
Which guitar will I take? I pretty much use the Stinnett all the time for everything so I don't even know which guitars have decent strings on them.

Eventually I decide I'll take my black strat ..... meh, it's a strat .... who gives a shit?
Gotta get up early but I take the time to go through the case and make sure I have picks check, and a slide check.

Get to the gig plenty early 'cause it's the longest load-in I've ever done except for a few Disney or Universal resort things.
I'm talking freakin' forever and 2 loads worth too!
So finally I'm about all set-up .... PA's pumpin' out some music ..... keyboard's going ..... sax is on the stand .... time to get the guitar ..... get the picks and slide and put them where they go ..... grab the strat and ....... no strap? Did I actually, fucking look in my fucking case this fucking morning and not notice I didn't have a strap?!!?!!

"Ah .... dammit!"

:laughings::laughings::laughings:

OK, ..... mind's in overdrive 'cause it's time to go ...... van's in Valet and way too far away to go look for a strap and I'm pretty sure there isn't one in it anyway.
Maybe I can just hold it in my lap ..... ummmm, nope.
Besides, when I pick up the sax the guitar needs to hang so ......

Well, I can tie this green 6' zip-cord extension cord around the strap buttons.
Actually not as easy as it sounds .... there really isn't quite enough room under a strap button to tie an extension cord securely but I put the git on a table and bore down on that thing and it mostly stayed on.
Then the cord really cut into my shoulder so I took a beer koozee and shoved it under the cord right where it cut the worst.
It kept falling out, of course, and anytime I played sax i'd have to put it back.

I really wish I had a picture .... a green extension cord for a strap with the plug dangling from one button, the socket dangling from the other .... and a beer koozee stuck up on my shoulder!

Hahahahaha ......

Lol. That's funny. You made it work though.

I'm always full OCD about forgetting things. I usually do good these days. Worst I've ever done was forgot my drum throne a long long time ago. This was my first big gig with the psychobilly band way back in the day. I grabbed a metal folding chair and got to work. I actually liked it so much that's what I used for years. I was the drummer that sat in a folding chair.

I'm always full OCD about forgetting things. I usually do good these days. Worst I've ever done was forgot my drum throne a long long time ago. This was my first big gig with the psychobilly band way back in the day. I grabbed a metal folding chair and got to work. I actually liked it so much that's what I used for years. I was the drummer that sat in a folding chair.
lol .... a folding chair! :laughings:

Back in the day I had a horn band that was sorta popular in La. and we were almost to the out-of-town gig and herbie suddenly goes, "My horn!" and he'd forgotten his sax ...... idiot.

So we get to the club kinda freakin' out .... what'll we do?
So somehow I met a lady who said her husband played sax and I talked her into lending me his horn .... a nice Sel;mer.
I let Herbie play mine and I played this guys horn which, let's admit it, no freakin' way his wife should have gone home and brought me his horn and lent it to me.
We'd never even met before.

About an hour into the gig the guy shows up shooting lightning from his eyes in fury about it too!

But he sat down and listened and realized I was good and being careful with his horn and relaxed ..... whew!
Let me use it the rest of the night ....... but I bet his wife got an earful!!

Gross. Another man's sax? You might as well lick his butthole!

Just kidding.

At almost every gig I do on drums, seriously almost every time, another drummer will ask me to borrow something that he's forgotten. A floor tom leg, sticks, bottom hi-hat, a crash cymbal, bass pedal, etc. It's ALWAYS something. And it's always something really important. How the fuck does a fucking drummer forget a snare? How do you forget a crash cymbal? The bass drum pedal? How? These are key pieces. I can see a floor tom leg getting lost somewhere. But forgetting a snare drum? Bitch please. My answer is always, unequivocally, hell no. I never let another drummer bash my shit. I'm a dick, I don't care.

At a recent gig on guitar, a guy asked to borrow my cab. My fucking cab! At first I thought to myself "hell yeah, I don't blame you, this cab sounds awesome". But the reality was the guy didn't bring a fucking cab. What the fucking fuck. Seriously. WTF? I have to assume that he just assumed someone would lend him a cab. That's chickenshit. Bring your shit, you fucking hack. This is the part of punk rock that I fucking hate. Punk music is great, punk rockers fucking suck.

I agree totally ..... how can you forget stuff that's essential to playing?

Sure ..... I didn't have a strap Monday but that's once outta 15,000 gigs.
But to not have a cab or, if your a drummer, a snare or a bass drum pedal?
Hell ..... those are things that are so crucial that even if you can borrow one it'll affect your playing.
And I also way agree about you saying no .... drums get bashed and all it takes is 15 minutes of some doofus who's just slamming your drums and you've got to buy a new head or spend time repairing the snare mechanism or whatever.
I'd say no too.

Did you lend him the cab?

And I had my own mthpce by the way.

No, he did not get to use my cab. I really am not shy or reserved at all about saying "fuck no" to just about any request.

After the fact, I thought about it a little, and decided that had he actually brought his own cab, and just wanted to use mine for fun or for a different look/sound or whatever, I probably would have let him. I wouldn't let someone use an amp and certainly not a guitar, but a cab, sure. It's a wood box with speakers. He can't hurt it. But that aint what happened. He just didn't bring a fucking cab, so fuck him. I hope he had to cancel his gig over it.

Drum stuff, no way. They CAN hurt your shit.

On the ISO cab thing dude, yeah, everything's a compromise kinda....I can't crank my amp now with the Greenback, it'd blow that speaker really quick, so I usually keep the vol on about 2-3 just to be safe....I don't think it'd fry the V30, but again, just to be safe, I keep the vol below 5 anyway....So yeah, everything's a compromise...I'll find out in a few hours (when I get to work) whether I'm gonna pull the trigger or not...I'll let you guys know tonight when I get home...

If/when I do get it (either this week or next week), I'm already planning on putting some of the Roxul in the bottom of it to kill the room noise, & also kill some of the standing waves inside the cab, & adding another jack plate/cable so I can use 2 mics...

Swapping the speaker should be just as quick/easy as the home-made cab I have now, 4 screws & the spade connectors...

On loaning my music gear....ain't gonna happen...ever....my nephew (by marriage, he married my niece), who's actually a preacher/ordained minister (and is as honest as they come) stopped by a couple/few weeks ago, on the way to a gig, & wanted to know if he could borrow a couple of my mic cables....I'd just got 'em (& he knew this too) a few days before, so they were brand new...."No"....is what I told him..."if I let you borrow those cables & something happens to 'em, what am I gonna do until you replace 'em???"....He told me "well, you know I'd replace 'em if anything did happen"....and I told him "yeah, but what if I wanna record something before you get 'em back to me???"....so I never, ever loan out my gear...He askesd jokingly about borrowin the half-stack a few days after I got it, & I didn't even reply/answer him, I just smiled at him....:).

Any of you guys know how the Randall ISO compares to the Jet City??? The JC ISO is a bit cheaper, but just looking at my options...

Gotta run!!!!

yeah, I don't lend gear either.

I have a couple of friends that I'll lend stuff to but even then I'm reluctant.
And it's not 'cause they were too lazy to bring it to a gig either. It's because their amp crapped out or something like that ..... a genuine need not caused by them being stupid and/or lazy.
I'm still reluctant though, even for them.

Something I don't lend ever to anyone are my LPs.
I had a friend spill coke on a record when I was 11 and since then I let NO one so much as touch my records.

I've mellowed very slightly about it so I'd let wifey touch 'em if she wanted to play one but her response? "Hell no ...... I ain't touching those things!"

:D

The Randall comes with a V30, but the arm isn't movable. Having an actual Vintage 30 might be the price difference right there. I've seen more of the Randall version out and about, but I bet they're about equal in quality....meaning.....don't let it leave the house. :D

Oh man make when I was in college I actually had nice cymbals (Sabian AAs, Istanbul hand made, Zildjian New beats, etc.) that I bought with my own money, but since we tended to play with other underage groups, the other drummers had shitty ass gear, and they'd always ask to use my cymbals. That's the LAST thing I'd let them touch. A bashed head is $15. A bashed cymbal is $200.

Always said no there.

The Randall comes with a V30, but the arm isn't movable. Having an actual Vintage 30 might be the price difference right there. I've seen more of the Randall version out and about, but I bet they're about equal in quality....meaning.....don't let it leave the house. :D

The arm not moving isn't an issue...I've got a really short gooseneck & a really short boom arm that I could put in it, so again, that's not an issue...An extra V30 would be nice too, IIRC, it's the 8ohm version, which would work with the one I already have in a 2x12 cab if I ever decided to go that route...So, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Randall ISO tomorrow night...Just guessing it'll be here around Monday or Tuesday of next week, & when it arrives, I'll have some pics & clips as usual...

I'm gonna make a home-made "Gramma/AmpDude" out of a piece of plywood & some Auralex I've got lying around, to de-couple it from the floor to keep the vibrations from carrying through the floors/walls/etc...I'm pretty sure that'd work as good as the commercial Auralex thing, plus, I've got the shit lying around to do it with, & it won't take an hour to build...

Gonna put a bunch of the Roxul in the bottom of the ISO & replace the shitty stuff that's in the top with the Roxul, to keep the standing waves down a little more, & hopefully it'll make it a little quieter as well...

I used to loan my gear out many years ago, but not anymore....Not even a mic cable...Shit costs too much, & I work too fuckin' hard for what I get to let someone else fuck it up...If I wanna fuck it up, that's different....:laughings:.

How quiet do you have to be? I thought you were past that problem. Don't you live out in the sticks now? :D

Well dude, during the day I can usually crank to my heart's content...I do have neighbors out here in the boonies, both across the street/road, & next door...But, I know that if I cranked my amp after 9 pm, the police will come calling, been there done that...And, the hours I work, I don't even get home until midnight at least...

That's the problem, 99% of my recording/playing time is late at night, & again, I know if I cranked the DSL after work, the police will show up, there's no doubt in my mind...I can get up kinda early & record/play before work, but even if I do that, I only have a couple hours, so after work is really best for me, & again, it's after midnight before I even walk through the door & sometimes I really just don't feel like getting up that early...

Dunno if I told you guys this or not, but where I'm living right now isn't permanent, I'll be moving again in about a year or so, & hopefully when that time comes, I won't have to worry with this shit anymore....Divorce is a wonderful thing, ain't it????:laughings:

Lol. I don't know about that. I do not want to be divorced. But I suppose it is the best thing for about 50% of marriages.

I had the mental picture that you were literally in the woods. Last year I went to upstate NY where my wife grew up and she showed me her old house. It was a house tucked way back into the trees. Nearest neighbor was like, at least, a mile away. I thought you lived something like that out there.

Back