The New Tone Thread

Thanks Bob, I really don't have a budget for this dude, of course I wanna get by as cheap as I can, but I don't wanna buy something cheap & just have to turn around & buy something else...I'm a pretty firm believer that you get what you pay for with a lot of things...The JOYO Hot Plexi was just an impulse buy really, I'd been wanting one for a while, but I'm sure the pedal it clones blows it completely away (and that's about what I'm expecting with the power supply, cheap price = cheap product....)....Gonna do some more homework on it, like I mentioned, I only have 4 pedals right now, but eventually I'll have more, & want something that'll allow me to grow/add pedals, & not add any noise to my rig....Thanks again man...

Thanks Bob, I really don't have a budget for this dude, of course I wanna get by as cheap as I can, but I don't wanna buy something cheap & just have to turn around & buy something else...I'm a pretty firm believer that you get what you pay for with a lot of things...The JOYO Hot Plexi was just an impulse buy really, I'd been wanting one for a while, but I'm sure the pedal it clones blows it completely away (and that's about what I'm expecting with the power supply, cheap price = cheap product....)....Gonna do some more homework on it, like I mentioned, I only have 4 pedals right now, but eventually I'll have more, & want something that'll allow me to grow/add pedals, & not add any noise to my rig....Thanks again man...

I have a one-spot and haven't noticed any noise. I don't string that many pedals together though. With the one-spot, it's like 3 or 4 at most. My pedalboard is an SKB powered board that can accommodate 8 pedals. No noise. It was like 90 bucks.

1 SPOT Combo Pack :: Visual Sound, LLC

Powered Pedalboard | SKB Music / ProAV

the 1 spot has 1700ma ...... so it can do quite a few pedals actually except for power hungry digital stuff.

I looked up a list of power requirements for Boss pedals just as an example and very few of them went over 55ma with very many as low as 17ma or so.
So if we use pedals that only need let's say, 75ma or less you could power 22 pedals with the one spot.
There are exceptions .... even with Boss ..... my RE-20 sucks up 265ma and other brands of pedals could be more although I believe the current draw on my SP Compressor is only 5ma !

I also found out something I did not know ...... that my OLD Boss pedals want 12 volts so that's why I have these old, supposedly awesome, pedals that sound like ass.

As for the power supplies ...... if I'm gonna spend anything at all then I want the benefit of it being quiet.
That's one thing that everyone agrees the VooDoo Labs power supply accomplishes. Some folks don't like how the power is apportioned out but you can always daisy chain.

Thanks guys...I'm still gonna look around & try to find out as much as I can about these power supplies...

And, GAS has struck again...dunno if I'm gonna do it or not, but I've been wanting an EVH 5153 50 watter since they came out...thinking really hard about pulling the trigger on one...LOL...I don't know if it would be a good thing or not, I really don't know how that amp compares to the DSL (meaning, would I have 2 amps that are basically the same???)...So, I may end up getting one in the next week or so, dunno...LOL...

Gotta run, one more shift & I get 3 big days off!!!! Plus, I've got a date with a big-tittied blonde tomorrow too...LOL..:D

Thanks guys...I'm still gonna look around & try to find out as much as I can about these power supplies...

And, GAS has struck again...dunno if I'm gonna do it or not, but I've been wanting an EVH 5153 50 watter since they came out...thinking really hard about pulling the trigger on one...LOL...I don't know if it would be a good thing or not, I really don't know how that amp compares to the DSL (meaning, would I have 2 amps that are basically the same???)...So, I may end up getting one in the next week or so, dunno...LOL...

Gotta run, one more shift & I get 3 big days off!!!! Plus, I've got a date with a big-tittied blonde tomorrow too...LOL..:D

It sounds like a modded modern Marshall. I've played through a bunch of them. Nice amp, but nothing special. It's probably redundant with you having the DSL. If you're chasing early VH "brown" tones, that's not the amp. Good rock and roll amp though, and does higher gain pretty well to me.

It sounds like a modded modern Marshall. I've played through a bunch of them. Nice amp, but nothing special. It's probably redundant with you having the DSL.
This is what I wanted to know pretty much dude...If I can get about the same tones with my DSL as the 5153, then I'll pass...

If you're chasing early VH "brown" tones, that's not the amp.

Pretty much knew that, although I have heard clips of the 5153 doing newer VH pretty close...Not into the VH thing as much as I was dude, trying to find my own sound to be honest...I sound like me anyway, so what the fuck??? LOL...

Good rock and roll amp though, and does higher gain pretty well to me.

I've heard this, but, if I can get similar tones with the DSL, again, I'll pass....

Been looking at an Orange OR15 too dude...LOL...

Been looking at an Orange OR15 too dude...LOL...

The Orange will be quite different from your DSL. That could be good to have in the arsenal if you're gonna start stockpiling amps! :D

That little "Green" Orange TH30 I had for a little while was a cool little amp. I thought it's higher gain settings were pretty fizzy, but it's raw crunch and clean sounds were dynamite.

The Orange will be quite different from your DSL. That could be good to have in the arsenal if you're gonna start stockpiling amps! :D

That's what I'm looking for really man, something really different sounding...don't get me wrong, I love the DSL, IMO it kicks ass...but, as usual, I'm looking for different tones man, you know how this shit goes....Dunno for sure, I'm still doing my homework, but may pull the trigger on the OR15 in a few days...maybe...

I'm also looking at cabs, while I'd love to have another 4x12, space/room is becoming an issue, sure I could stack another 4x12 under what I've got now, but I may end up getting a nice 2x12 instead...Maybe find a used one, or even an un-loaded cab, as I've got the V30 & Greenback....

And, I'm probably gonna get rid of the Tweaker...while it's a good little amp, I never use it, & the last time I did, it sounded like utter shit compared to either of my DSL's (including the little 1 watter), so I'm probably gonna sell or trade it off...Compared to the DSL's, it sounds like there's a blanket over the speakers....the DSL-1H is staying though, for now...:D.

BTW, I was re-amping some tracks this week (with the DSL100 - 4x12) & the mail ran, so I just went on out to check the mailbox you know, while the guitar track was recording....Had that bitch on about 7, 100w mode & could almost feel the bottom end while I was outside, about 70 feet away (with the amp inside the house with all the windows & doors closed up..)...LOL...so, I decided to walk on down the road to see just how far I could hear it, & was just fuckin' amazed at how loud the DSL100 really is dude...I do have neighbors, & of course I don't do that shit at night (after 9 pm anyway...I'm usually at work anyway...), but the ones who were home that day were all outside wondering just what the fuck was going on....I turned to go back to the house about 150-200 feet away, & could still hear it loud & clear....The old man that lives across the road (he's lived there ever since I can remember, & watched me grow up...) told me "just like old times, ain't it???....you're still beatin' on them gitars, ain't ya???"...:laughings:.

Haha yeah, I get it. I tested the "outside sound" of my own amps recently. I had a buddy over recording while the wife and kids were out of town and we were cranking some shit. In the house, it's loud as fuck. Literally wall shaking loud. All the pictures and sconces and doo-dads my wife has hanging all over the house were rattling and shaking like crazy. But outside, it really wasn't that bad in my own opinion. I could hear it, but I don't think it would disturb anyone. It wasn't as loud as a lawnmower. My house is is two-story brick/Hardiplank McMansion, so maybe the thick brick walls and halfway decent cookie-cutter construction do a pretty good job at containing the racket. And with my neighbors' houses being basically the same type of construction, they probably don't hear my amps at all from inside.

I do know they can hear my drums though. They've told me so. I definitely don't do any drumming before or after work hours. The drums seems to punch through to the outside world better than the steady roar of an amp.

I have an Orange Tiny Terror I'd trade for the Tweaker ..... they're about in the same price range.
In fact the Terror is more 'spensive.
Sweetwater is selling the Tweaker for $399 and the Terror for $599.

I do know they can hear my drums though. They've told me so. I definitely don't do any drumming before or after work hours. The drums seems to punch through to the outside world better than the steady roar of an amp.
drums are the worst about that.
there's something about them ..... last week when wifey and I were at the beach we heard some music crank up ..... it was loud and sounded much like one of the bars had a band.
We listened for a second and i said, "That's not a band ...... drums always sound a certain way even if you're far away when it's real drums" ....... and they do. I dunno ..... in recordings there's ALWAYS some compression going on with drums 'cause no speaker can really reproduce full dynamic range drums nor can mics totally capture them.

They just always have a different sound live and they go for miles.

Yup. Drums go far. There's a garage band, or at least a lone garage drummer, somewhere else in my neighborhood. On saturdays or sundays I can always hear the drums from my backyard. No guitars or vocals, just drums. I've gone out looking for this drummer or band in my 'hood, but I haven't found them yet. It's been years too. I hear them and never find them.

And with the band I drum in, we practice at the singer/rhythm gtr player's garage. My wife's aunt lives in the same neighborhood, but several blocks away. She says she can hear us when we're practicing at his house. Drums, baby!

Bought this CD last weekend...It's actually pretty good IMO, I like most of the songs anyway...I was on the way to a date (which was a fuckin' disaster btw...LOL....this chick was just beautiful, but found out she was a junkie...we were at the movies & she went to the bathroom....when she came back, she was fuckin' hammered, & had banged/shot something (she still had a little spot/trickle of blood coming out of her arm...)...needless to say, I cut the date short & ran away as fast as I could...LOL...she was beautiful, & yeah I probably could've banged her, but I was afraid I'd get something that wouldn't go away...

Anyway, bought the new Kix cd on the way, & the very first song comes on, reminds me of the Gerg's songs...

Lol, wait, dating junkies? That's awesome! They're scary and potentially harmful, but just put on a raincoat and have your way with it! It's a fucking junkie! Hit it, drop her off under a bridge somewhere, and go take a shower. No big deal. :D

I'm not hearing too much of me in that song, but I really like them guitar tones. Nice and raw. Not too much gain. Like it.

Lol, wait, dating junkies? That's awesome! They're scary and potentially harmful, but just put on a raincoat and have your way with it! It's a fucking junkie! Hit it, drop her off under a bridge somewhere, and go take a shower. No big deal. :D

Well man, I'd talked to this fuckin' idiot for about 2 weeks prior to going out, & she hid it really well...I've been around the block man, you know??? I myself was an addict for about 8-9 years (never used a needle, I snorted my shit...LOL), so I know all about it you know??? Again, she hid if from me really well, (most junkies aren't beautiful like this chick, I'm telling you, this fuckin' woman was an absolute knockout), even the track marks (and yes, I do look for that shit too...around here, it's a fuckin' epidemic man, not heroin/coke, but pain pills....people have been shooting pain pills around here for the past 10 years or so like it's going out of style...)....No way I'd fuck something like that dude, even with a raincoat, ever...I actually left her at the mall/theater we were at & told her to go fuck off somewhere away from me...It really pissed me off to be honest, because in the 2 weeks prior that we talked, I told her about my past, & how much I hated that shit...Fuckin' idiots....

The date tonight was ok, big titties but no fuckin' brains, which is about what I expected...LOL...BTW, I'm not looking to get tied down man, just having some fun....and hopefully without catching anything....:laughings:.

The chick I was seeing a couple months ago was a good girl, we had fantastic sex, & got along pretty good, but again, I'm not gonna get tied down, I just got out of that shit...Plus, her ex-husband is a psycho (a real fuckin' nut....he just had a liver transplant from doing so much meth it almost killed him...and guess what??? He's still doing meth...LOL...He confronted me once, & I actually felt sorry for him in a way, he wanted to kick my ass so bad, but he could barely even walk...I told him to go do another line or two of that shit & everything would be alright, because if he kept fucking with me, his liver wouldn't be the only thing that'd be all fucked up...:D) that just wouldn't leave her alone, so I told that one if she ever got her shit together to call me....Haven't heard from her since...LOL...

Remember when you said I was living a Jerry Springer episode??? You have no clue man....:laughings:.

I'm not hearing too much of me in that song, but I really like them guitar tones. Nice and raw. Not too much gain. Like it.

What reminded me of you was the punk influence dude, the way the guitars, bass & drums interact/are played in the very beginning of the song...As soon as I popped it into the cd player & that song came on, the Gerg came to mind...:).

What reminded me of you was the punk influence dude, the way the guitars, bass & drums interact/are played in the very beginning of the song...As soon as I popped it into the cd player & that song came on, the Gerg came to mind...:).

Yeah I guess I can see that. The intro is pretty nice. They definitely stole that from me. :D

Exactly...that intro just sounds like your stuff you post here dude....

Do you guys know how fuckin' much I've missed being able to get on here & shoot the shit with you all??? You have no fuckin' clue how much I've missed this man....

Back