The New Tone Thread

I wasn't aiming that comment at you particularly. I'm not suggesting you start trying to meet all the morons and weirdos who respond unintelligibly. I'm commenting on the cautiousness displayed when actually meeting (i.e. meeting in car parks, no-one can come to the house, go with a friend, etc.).

I sold a bed online once and this girl came round to look at it. She came in my house and up to the spare bedroom having only just met me. I'm sure she told someone where she was going, but neither of us thought anything of it.

Good for you pal. I guess for some it only tips the weird scale after they find the body. Don't go getting all paranoid now.

Cool Ray,
Just so you know I'm being honest here man, & not trying to pick on ya....

I could've swore I heard 'verb on the right guitar track....FWIW, my ears ain't what they used to be, 24+ years of underground coal mining is taking it's toll....

On the guitar sounds, if you can re-track, maybe use just a little different eq setting on the amp, plus different p'ups & mics...If you can't re-track, eq in the daw is your friend...I'm sure you know this though dude...

To me, the drums & bass need more volume & "oomph", of course, it's not an 80's hair metal thing (like I'm used to trying to do...LOL), but still, the way those drums are played, they need to be up in the mix a little...The bass performance is fine to me, just needs to be heard a little more in the mix IMO...

Myself, when I do a mix, I always start with the drums & bass, getting their levels where they seem like they fit together, then add everything else....That's just me though...

The new version does sound a bit better, but the instruments need to "gel" together just a little more...I'm sure you know all this though...

Ok, so fuck it, here's a work-in-progress with my drum programming...I'm actually pretty proud of the progress I've made with these fuckers, & this is one of 'em the Gerg has listened to, & gave me some tips/pointers on how to make the drums sound more realistic...Can't remember right off the top of my head what the settings were on the guitar sounds, all I can remember is it was the Ibanez > DS-1 (clean boost) > DSL-1 > T-75 > '57 & C1 mics....

LDO

Minerman,
thanks for taking the time. Nice meaty guitars in your track. The DS1 does a nice job of pushing the tubes.
Big drum sound.
I like it. More meaty than I was driving for but enjoyable.
The bass has just the right amount of definition bot to be lost.
Cool.

Just so all you guys know, I won't be on the 'net for a few days, maybe even longer...Big change happening in my life that I had a hint was coming, but didn't expect it "now"....As soon as I get myself lined out, I'll be back...Keep the thread alive as it may be a while before you hear from me....

Here's another attempt at a decent guitar sound - that's the aim - a sound to suit the song. This time three different guitars, three different mics & three different mic positions as suggested by MMan.
Epi Sheraton II, Guyatone Mosrite copy both with humbuckers (though the GT has a really old P90 looking pickup at the neck) and a Bruno Royal Artist singel coil jobbie.
Same amp. & same mics.
Any closer?

Thanks Lt. Bob,
My ears agree with yours. I've been urged to turn the guitars down previously & have probably overdone just that.
Same track with a dB more on the guitar buss as per the Lt's general suggestion. Is it enough? Do the guitars sound right for the track now?

Just bumping our thread to let you guys know I'm still alive & kickin'........Probably still be a few days before I'll have 'net acess at home, but, I'm makin' it....Should have some new toys before too long too, like the fuckin' JVM I've been wanting forever....

Just bumping our thread to let you guys know I'm still alive & kickin'........Probably still be a few days before I'll have 'net acess at home, but, I'm makin' it....Should have some new toys before too long too, like the fuckin' JVM I've been wanting forever....

Woohoo! Get a cab because you'll blow that little iso cab apart. :D

Already ahead of you Greg, but it's gonna be a while....I'm living so far back in the boonies, it's gonna be another week or so before I'll have internet...Gotta have a dish installed & all kinds of other shit are going on right now, but I'm still working on those songs, still got my job, & I feel like a man that just escaped from prison.....LOL....Again, hopefully in another week at most, I'll have 'net acess at the house....Gotta run, literally.....

I expect to hear LOUD monster tone from the amp now.
How far in the boonies? Maybe it'll bring a more Tony Joe White tone to your set up.

Waaaaay back in the boonies guys, back in a "holler" (hillbilly talk), with one way in, & one way out....It's were I grew up, kinda strange, but it feels good to be home actually....Still waiting on the dish/'net install, but, it's all good, it'll be there eventually.....off to work....

Hey tone thread homies........my quest for deaf is complete! :thumbs up:

Found this baby at a GC in Hollywood on a recent trip there. It was like seeing a beautiful woman from across the room. My peripheral vision went dark and all I could see was this amp. I think I even heard angels singing. Plugged it in, turned it up, bought it on the spot.

JCM 800 reissue. 900 bucks. Clean as a whistle. Loud as fuck. :listeningmusic:

The family portrait....

Holy hell, that's quite a stable of ponies there Greg. I have a feeling that some sort of Marshall will be my next amp. Well, after the Fender at least :)

So, is your wife sick and tired of you replying to everything she says with "huh? what? speak up! and someone answer that damn phone!"

OK, here's a bit of a solo that I've been trying to work out (not 100% there yet). I'm looking for opinions on the guitar tone...I love the neck pickup on my LP, but something in my chain is making things sound really dark to my ears. Nothing seems to sparkle. Heck, even the bridge pickup sounds dark to me. I'm thinking it's just the character of the amp, and I read somewhere today that the Black Shadow speakers they put in these amps is pretty dark in and of itself. And the FMR RNP seems a little dark as well...so maybe its a cumulative thing?

My chain:
Gibson LP Classic (496R neck pickup)
Mesa Lonestar Special:
- Channel 2, drive disengaged
- Gain: 5
- Treble: 5
- Mid: 5
- Bass: 5
- Presence: 0
- Master: 4.5
Shure SM57 dead center, on-axis (trying to brighten it up!)
FMR RNP, gain: 24 dB
Delta 44 interface
Some room and hall reverb on the track in Reaper

Sorry about the pumpy mix, I've been experimenting with master bus compressors and it isn't going very well yet :D

[EDIT]: OK, now that I listen to it again, it doesn't seem nearly as dark after blasting it with some poorly-crafted compression. I wonder if ReaComp or JS LOSER hype the high end after they compress? Doesn't compression usually attenuate high end frequencies a little?

Back