The New Tone Thread

Lt. Bob,
Other than the rhythm it reminds me of J.J.Cale in the laid back observational nature.
Love the outro solo and the way it linger then faded.
Really enjoyed.

Lol, nice little song Boob. Great feel to it. I have to ask though, are you okay? Seems almost like a reflective goodbye, and we don't want that! :)

Thanks greg ..... yeah I'm fine so far as I know ...... just a song.
Perhaps a little reflective but not because I'm in trouble.

I have had a significant number of musicians I've played with die in the last couple of months though.
A good dozen or so ...... even a couple of suicides among them from people I would have never dreamed would go that route ...... and a few that I was kinda close to ....... gonna miss 'em.

But this song was written like, 9 years ago or so in my head at a time when I was pretty excited 'bout moving to Florida so i wasn't down or anything ..... just a song that popped into my head while I was driving from Florida to Baton Rouge and was entertaining myself in the middle of that 13 hour drive ...... I've never really tried recording it 'till now.

And thanks minerman, antichef and rayc ..... I appreciate it.

One thing I was surprised to get was a tone compliment though.
This was literally the least effort to get tones that I could have done. :D

I got home from the gig and my Yamaha RGX-A2 was sitting on a stand plugged into the little Ampeg GVT-5 which was plugged into some sort of Emminence 10" that was in a Laney Tube-Fusion practice amp that blew up a week after I got it and so I just use the speaker sometimes.
I didn't even change the tone settings! lol
And the mic is the least guitarish mic you could use .... a MXL ..... ummmmmm V67g.

It was on a stand was my main reason for choosing it. :laughings:

Last edited:
That's probably because you're in that rare air of being a good enough player to make anything sound good. The rest of us need bad ass shit. :D

thanx man but you guys play better than me in many ways.

I'm in the process of trying to get ahead of my 'take care of house/yard/gigs/93 year old mom-in-law/bill paying' duties to set aside at least 90 minutes everyday for some serious wood-shedding on both my axes.

I just know I might can get good if I'd only work at it some more.

I think it sounds pretty damned good mang. Guitar tone is good .... pretty nice rock sound.

Drumbs seem a tiny bit loud to me but it's early and I just got up. I may not be rock-ready yet!

I think it sounds pretty damned good mang. Guitar tone is good .... pretty nice rock sound.

Drumbs seem a tiny bit loud to me but it's early and I just got up. I may not be rock-ready yet!
Cheers bob. Yeah, drums are a bit loud. Was cocking about with a pedal and turned the level down. I think it's alright in the clean bits but the distortion is too quiet.

Anyone have any experience with a Mesa Lonestar Classic 1x12 combo??? From what I can find, it's got switchable wattage from 5 - 15 - 30w, 2 channels with tone, volume & gain for each, reverb...There's a guy locally who wants to trade that amp for some of my gear (T15 & DSL-1H), but I'm on the fence about it simply because I don't know a damn thing about it, other than a google search...

Anyone here know anything about this amp??? The reason I'm thinking about trading is the little amps I have now are just collecting dust. Both my bigger amps sound better at low volumes comparable to the small amps...

Not really sure about the trade, just trying to more about the Mesa...

My parts finally came in for the trimmer mod, I'm about to tear into it in just a few minutes too....Wish me luck....:laughings:

Is it a Lonestar Classic, or Lonestar Special? I have the Special, it's the one with the 5/15/30 watt selection. I think that the Classic is higher powered at like 10/50/100 watts or something. The Classic seems to have a bigger following, but I do like my Special for what it is. I'm not exactly sure what the differences are between the two other than the wattage.

Mine has a "saggy" low end, not a metal amp by any stretch of the imagination. Lots of low end on it but its a loose, saggy kind of sound (think 70s rock or blues). Palm muted notes are squishy, not sharp and percussive like on a DSL. It still has that distinct Mesa kind of mid/high frequency response. I think of it as my "Black Keys" amp when the gain is turned up...kind of that trashy out-of-control 70s garage rock sound.

I do like my LSS for those things, but I've always had trouble fitting it into a mix...it's a dark-voiced amp, doesn't just jump out and compete amidst other things happening in a mix. But the things that it does well, it does astoundingly well. My new favorite tone is a fuzz pedal plugged in to the clean channel...very Black Keys vibe from that.

It does tend to blow through rectifier tubes (the 5W and 15W settings use a tube rectifier, 30W setting uses a SS rectifier for a stiffer response). I've already been through 2 of them. Selectable wattage is nice, and you can individually set each channel's wattage. So you could go for more headroom with 30W on the clean channel, but go for more early breakup with 5W on the dirty channel. You can switch in/out the FX loop and master volume, reverb is per-channel, and there's even a cooling fan built-in. Nifty features, but not completely necessary.

And the resale value is probably pretty good, so you might come out ahead, depending on what you're trading for it.

Last edited:
Bob!!! I love the lyrics to your song man. Thats awesome. What a great little tune. Everything sounds really good and those leads are killer. But the lyrics really were the icing on the cake for me man. Totally lol'd a little in a good way. I wouldn't bother with any country vibe for this tune if it were up to me or if my opinion counts for anything. And i loves me some outlaw/roots country. Maybe a backing acoustic to fill in some space, but i think the vibe you got right here is a pretty good kicking off point.

JDOD! I dig your style man. I hear faint traces off that 90's Sunderland melodic punk rock era. I actually name dropped a band called Broccoli in here the other day and this latest tune from you actually has their feel they had for some of their songs. I dig it.

Can't help you Miner on the Mesa query. I thought i had a friend that had one but it turns out it was way off. Some Huge 100W Mesa Something or other.

Finally got around to installing the puzzy trimmer pot on the outside of the amp today....Didn't take very long, just tried to be very careful with everything, but especially drilling the hole in the backplate...My soldering skills don't look very pretty, but it works...I had to add a little length of wire on the connections, the originals weren't long enough...Here's a couple pics:

It definitely makes a pretty big difference in the amount of gain the amp has, even in plexi mode I can get it to break up a lot earlier without cranking the master up so much....Wide open is just too much, & all the way down kills the high end, but it does give the amp a little more versatility IMO...

FWIW, the new Chupacabra amps come with this already installed on the back plate, mine's about 5 years old or so, & was made before they started doing this...

Sweet. Looks pretty good. Do you notice any noise with the pot mounted to the chassis? That's a very sensitive interference area to be running some wires.

Sweet. Looks pretty good. Do you notice any noise with the pot mounted to the chassis? That's a very sensitive interference area to be running some wires.

Not really Greg, with all the gain/volumes dimed this is a noisy ass amp to begin with, but I didn't notice any more than usual....FWIW, the wires I had to add were only moved about 2 inches or so...

To be honest, I didn't even think of that, & really, the mod I did is exactly how a Chupa now comes from Ceriatione to begin with (my amp is a 2010 model IIRC)....But, if there were any issues, I'm sure Nik would've helped me out. His customer support is great, I didn't even buy the amp from him, & he always answers my e-mails withing a couple of hours...

I did put some electrical tape over the connection next to the turred board (black/blue wires), I was afraid it'd hit the chassis & possibly short or ground something out. I was gonna use a little heat-shrink boot, but didn't have any, so the electrical tape will do...

Checked the bias again today, & it's still holding where it's supposed to be at 36mA...Really happy with this amp guys, so much so that I'm probably gonna end up getting rid of a bunch of the other gear that I don't use very much. Still undecided on the DSL100 though, I do use it more than the little amps, but still not near as much as the Ceriatone...

Gonna ask again, anyone familiar with a Mesa Lone Star Classic 5-15-30w amp???

As a Mesa guy I'm gonna say it's awesome since all their amps are.
I haven't specifically used one of those though.

It's NOT gonna be Marshally with the sound ...... prolly more like a blackface.
But if you're not using the small amps you'll likely find some use for it and as has been said, possibly easier to sell than your tiny amps.

Liking the RP360 ...... much easier to edit but far more importantly it sounds a lot better than previous modelers.

Plus it has 33% more footswitches! :D

I only had about an hour to play with it before trying it on a gig Sunday .... but I managed to throw down 7 presets and all of them sounded better than what I got outta the Vox.
The factory presets, as expected, are ridiculous.

headed to the music room to tweak so I should have some clips pretty soon.

Nice Bob, glad it's working out for you. I've been tempted a time or three to grab one of those units. For the price, they look like a great bang for the buck. You're a brave man to throw together a few presets and head out to a gig!

Oh and I failed to mention above that I enjoyed your song. It's been a long week, I haven't been at the top of my online social game :)

I know next to nothing about Mesas - there's a guy around here who plays a Lone Star something (head and cab, not a combo) and sounds really good in a classic rock way.

Bob - what Vox thing were you using?

Back