The New Tone Thread

Sure....but it's pretty much a benign mismatch. It won't hurt most decent tube amps.
It's like 2 X amp load or 2 / amp load....so for 8 Ohm amps, you can use a 16 or 4 Ohm speaker/cab, though the 16 will put less strain on the OT.

I have two different Mesa combos ..... Mesa's tech said use 4, 8 or 16 ohm with any speaker load without worrying about matching. he said it wouldn't hurt anything and some of the mismatches have different tones.
In general impedance matching is about getting the most efficiency ..... like Miro says .... it won't hurt most amps.

...and some of the mismatches have different tones.

Exactly.

That's one of the reasons I do it sometimes....and also because of the output level drop you can get with lighter than expected loads...which can help when I'm using an amp that I want to crank to get my sweet spot...but take a bit of output out of it.
I guess it's a form of attenuation. It saves my ears a bit.

Greg

Try the Mass with it's volume knob set for 0 attenuation....then set your amp where you want it, and then flip the Mass bypass back-n-forth. See if that it shaves off a bit of output level when engaged, but without the attenuation knob engaged.

I like using my Minis in that configuration at times. It has no effect on the tone, and it takes off a bit of output level, which was enough to tame the amp at higher volume settings.

Have you tried it with your 50W amps....?

Greg

Try the Mass with it's volume knob set for 0 attenuation....then set your amp where you want it, and then flip the Mass bypass back-n-forth. See if that it shaves off a bit of output level when engaged, but without the attenuation knob engaged.
I'll try it again tomorrow, but I believe that it did still attenuate a tiny amount even when the Mass is cranked for no attenuation..

I like using my Minis in that configuration at times. It has no effect on the tone, and it takes off a bit of output level, which was enough to tame the amp at higher volume settings.

Have you tried it with your 50W amps....?

Yeah I've already run it with all of my amps. It works awesome. I'm just still trying to figure out if I just leave my amps set at 16, or if I need to match it to the cab rating like normal. With one cab it's no big deal, but I don't always use just one cab. One of the cabs I use is 4 ohms, and I don't feel good about running an amp set at 16 ohms into a 4 ohm cab. But I'm eventually gonna rewire that 4 ohm cab to 16 ohm anyway.

I always thought it was a no-no to mis-match the impedance on a tube amp...Always thought it'd end up taking a transformer out over time....Interesting stuff guys, I'm gonna have to read up on this a little more...

I always thought it was a no-no to mis-match the impedance on a tube amp...Always thought it'd end up taking a transformer out over time....Interesting stuff guys, I'm gonna have to read up on this a little more...

I think it's always a good idea to match the cab to the amp, but it's a bit overblown that a mismatch will immediately fry transformers and stuff. It's always possible, but so is a tube just burning out on it's own with everything else being perfect. Maybe the old transformers were weaker? I don't know. I know one guy personally that just leaves his amps at 8 so he can hook up to anything because a one step mismatch supposedly is no big deal.

I did a little more reading up on it last night, & kinda understand a little better now...But I'm still gonna match my amps/cabs though, just to be on the safe side...

2 of my amps have a selector switch for 4, 8, or 16 ohms (Ceriatone & Egnater)
The DSL100 has seperate jacks for 8 or 16 (no 4 ohm), & the DSL-1 only has one speaker jack, 8 or 16 ohm, but it doesn't even have to have a load on it, the DSL-1 & JVM-1 were designed to be used without a load...

I did a little more reading up on it last night, & kinda understand a little better now...But I'm still gonna match my amps/cabs though, just to be on the safe side...

2 of my amps have a selector switch for 4, 8, or 16 ohms (Ceriatone & Egnater)
The DSL100 has seperate jacks for 8 or 16 (no 4 ohm), & the DSL-1 only has one speaker jack, 8 or 16 ohm, but it doesn't even have to have a load on it, the DSL-1 & JVM-1 were designed to be used without a load...

My 1-watters say it's fine to have no load in 0.1W mode, but not in full 1W mode.

Saw this today:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...n-sliding-pickup-guitar/video_share?ref=video

I've got it. Mics in your ears! Record exactly what you hear and run away from your amp for a Doppler effect

Back