New Guitar Day

miroslav

Cosmic Cowboy
Just got this baby....Hagstrom Deuce Tremar. :cool:
Spent most of the night giving it a proper setup and just messing around with it.
I'm very pleased with it. Plays great and sounds great....like all my Hags. :)
As most of you know, I'm a bit Hagstrom fan, and have quite a few of them, both original issue Made in Sweden, and the new reissue ones. Mostly I'm partial to the Swede models, and have 1-2 in every different configuration they offer.

A couple of years ago they came out with the Deuce, which is just the Swede with two horns.
Actually, it's more like the Super Swede with the longer 25.5" scale, where the standard Swede is 24.75"...but that's really the only difference between them. The body shape, size and neck are the same.

Anyway...last year I picked up a couple of the Deuce models....one solid, and the other a Deuce F with the partial cavity. Of all the new, non-Swede new design models that they have introduced (most have died off), I think the Deuce model is a killer version of the Swede guitar. I'm surprised they never had one during the original, Made in Sweden days.
So now I have three Deuce models with this Deuce F Tremar, which is their whammy bar rig. They offer a Tremar option on a few of their models. I really like how it fits the Deuce F.

DeuceTremar_01.jpg

DeuceTremar_02.jpg

Nice. What is it you like about the Hagstroms so much? They are quite reasonably priced.

(And Jesus, you got some gear!)

Nice. Congrats. I always like Hagstroms when I see them. They kind of remind me of Guilds. Hows the feedback on that thing being a semi hollow?

Thanks guys!

Nice. What is it you like about the Hagstroms so much? They are quite reasonably priced.

My first solid-body electric was a Swede (I still have that one). I played that guitar for a good number of years and also when I was gigging with bands. When Hagstrom Sweden closed down in the early eighties, I figured I would never get a chance to buy another, though I did see a couple used ones in music stores over the years ((this is pre-eBay and craigslist days).
When they reissued them in the early 2000's...I bought one, and while not 100% identical, they had the same body and neck design, and were quite nice, so I bought another. As they added different versions of the Swede, I bough a few more....and so on. :D

It was/is a real player's guitar, IMO....smooth, fast and easy. It's the neck...it just fits my hand perfectly.
If you ever pick one up, you can't help but notice the feel of the neck. Also, it has a wide fretboard radius, which I prefer over the narrow stuff like Fender does. For me, 12" radius and up is my preference...most of the the Hags are 15".
The width is nice, which works for my chunkier hand, and the shape is a real comfortable C, not really "thin", just not super fat. I don't have the skinny hand with real long skinny fingers, so the neck feel is key.
Some people don't like the Hag necks, mostly the guys who prefer real fat, chunky necks...so you have to try them to see how it fits your hand.
I've played other guitars, and it's not a real big deal if the necks are different, but overall, the Hagstrom neck is my favorite. I have a Fender Tele '52 RI with the 7.25" radius....and I can't play that thing for any length of time, especially when playing barre chords. I know the theory is that narrower radius is supposed to be easier for chords, but for my hand, the wider radius is more friendlier....and I play mostly barre chords, and have been playing them on the Hag necks for years and years....so I guess my hand has adjusted to that and that's what works for me the best.

So yeah....it's not that I don't like other guitars, I just really like the look/shape/feel of the Hagstroms. The body is a little rounder than an LP, and the headstock is totally unique...so it's a nice alternative to that style of guitar without getting an LP like everyone else. Not that I dislike LPs, they are sweet....but, the Hag Swedes are something a little different. :)

Hows the feedback on that thing being a semi hollow?

No feedback....it's small cavity, but it does add some woody vibe to the tone. So it's certainly different sounding than my Deuce solid body.

This is the Hagstrom for you:

RAMONES SIGNED HAGSTROM I ELECTRIC GUITAR - Price Estimate: $1200 - $1400

Very nice. The first really good guitar I ever owned was a Hagstrom Swede and I lost that one at a gig. Someone stole it during a break. I have a fleet of guitars and one of my favorites is my '81 Swede that I bought in a pawn shop for $125.00. The thing weighs a ton, but it sounds incredible. I get compliments on it all the time and I take it and my Tele to gigs as regular players. I had to replace the neck pickup because it had been switched out to some crappy aftermarket humbucker and I installed a Seymour Duncan which sounds really nice. I have never considered a Les Paul because this guitar sounds and plays so nicely that I don't need a "paul.

Years ago, we played a Halloween gig and some idiot dressed as Kurt Cobain had a Swede strapped to his back and as he got drunker, the guitar got dropped and banged and slammed into things more and more. I went over and told him that he should put the guitar away or sell it to me right there and he said "No way, this is my baby". I entertained the idea of mugging him for the sake of "his baby". My Swede is one beautiful guitar.

Ive tried some of the new Hags, but none of them have the same feel and sound as mine. I'm sure they could be improved on once purchased but I only need the Swede. It would be nice to have that trem bar.

Nice guitar. ENJOY!!!

My first solid-body electric was a Swede (I still have that one). I played that guitar for a good number of years and also when I was gigging with bands. When Hagstrom Sweden closed down in the early eighties, I figured I would never get a chance to buy another, though I did see a couple used ones in music stores over the years ((this is pre-eBay and craigslist days).
When they reissued them in the early 2000's...I bought one, and while not 100% identical, they had the same body and neck design, and were quite nice, so I bought another. As they added different versions of the Swede, I bough a few more....and so on. :D

It was/is a real player's guitar, IMO....smooth, fast and easy. It's the neck...it just fits my hand perfectly.
If you ever pick one up, you can't help but notice the feel of the neck. Also, it has a wide fretboard radius, which I prefer over the narrow stuff like Fender does. For me, 12" radius and up is my preference...most of the the Hags are 15".
The width is nice, which works for my chunkier hand, and the shape is a real comfortable C, not really "thin", just not super fat. I don't have the skinny hand with real long skinny fingers, so the neck feel is key.
Some people don't like the Hag necks, mostly the guys who prefer real fat, chunky necks...so you have to try them to see how it fits your hand.
I've played other guitars, and it's not a real big deal if the necks are different, but overall, the Hagstrom neck is my favorite. I have a Fender Tele '52 RI with the 7.25" radius....and I can't play that thing for any length of time, especially when playing barre chords. I know the theory is that narrower radius is supposed to be easier for chords, but for my hand, the wider radius is more friendlier....and I play mostly barre chords, and have been playing them on the Hag necks for years and years....so I guess my hand has adjusted to that and that's what works for me the best.

So yeah....it's not that I don't like other guitars, I just really like the look/shape/feel of the Hagstroms. The body is a little rounder than an LP, and the headstock is totally unique...so it's a nice alternative to that style of guitar without getting an LP like everyone else. Not that I dislike LPs, they are sweet....but, the Hag Swedes are something a little different. :)

Cool, thanks. I'll give one a try if I see one, but I doubt I'll see a left handed one in a shop over here - I've never seen any right handed ones! I have a 52 RI Tele (left handed) and it has quite a fat neck on it, pretty much the same as my Les Paul. I have quite small hands, so I wonder how I'd fare with the Hagstrom. They do look nice.

That looks sweet, I like longer scale set necks, too bad there aren't many of them.

The only Swede I ever got to play was the demo guitar for a Patch 2000 guitar synth, this in a store that didn't let you use a pick to try out guitars, but the demo guy didn't care. So, I made sure to play it as long as possible, and made it obvious that I was most definitely using a pick.

Back