New Bogner/Neve pedals!

So how does one pronounce Bogner? Is it just like it looks? Bog-ner, Bog-nyur, Bo-nyur, Boner? Please let it be boner...there's a joke in there somewhere about playing through it for more than 4 hours...

Those are very elegant looking pedals. Mr. Neve is a popular guy.

And damnit, there's another name I don't know how to pronounce. Is it Nev, Neh-vee, neh-vay? I just call him Rupee when we hang out. :D

Hmmmm.....I have the Bogner Ecstasty Red pedal & I like it a lot, very amp-like response & sounds great IMO..May have to check these out as I'm always looking for another pedal, lately that's been my mission to build a pedal board up....LOL...

Fwiw, the Bogner Red is an expensive pedal (these are too really...for me anyway), but it does sound really good....

Hey....$200 for all kinds of not-so-special, no-name pedals...is nothing unusual these days.

I'm actually surprised they didn't ask $300+ for them seeing that they have the Bogner and Neve names attached to them.

lol @ pedal instead of people. The marketing hype scrambled my brain.

I've never been enamored with any pedal, so 230 bucks for two names silkscreened on cheap components is fucking insane to me. How many nondescript generic "flavors" does one need? But whatever, to each his own.

It aint as bad as the Klon or dumble people. :facepalm:

The last pedal I picked up was the Catalinbread RAH, which is close to $200.....and frankly, worth the price.
It's a great pedal, with unique tonal optons....and it wouldn't sell if it sucked.

AFA cheap components....well, you can say that about a lot of amps too, especially some of the holy grail name stuff.

It would sell if it sucked because guitarists are a finicky, flaky bunch always chasing something. The RAH is a great example. Slap the promise of Page tone in Royal Albert Hall in the description and bam, people will pay anything for it. I'm not saying it's a bad pedal at all, but that one is a prime example of marketing and hype preying on the flakiness of guitarists and driving the price. Again, to each his own, but I just can't wrap my head around $200+ for a fucking stompbox.

I do bitch about amps all the time as well, even my beloved Marshalls. That's why I won't buy any of them new. Fuck that. The new Plexi and JCM 800 reissues are about as primitive in design as it gets. These things are totally bare-bones. $2400. Insane. They're "holy grail" Marshalls though, so you gotta pay for that.

Oh I totally agree that the RAH has a lot of hype associated with it which is why a lot of people just have to have it...though not at all the reason I bought it. I mean, I dig Page, but I haven't got a single piece of Page paraphernalia.
I heard the RAH and I thought it had some unique tone possibilities, which it does...so it wasn't yet just one more "looks different/but sounds the same" OD pedals.

Thing is....there are plenty of absolutely *no-name* OD pedals out there that are also selling in that same price range....so buying a RAH or one of these new Bogner/Neve pedals isn't crazy.
Are a lot of pedals over-priced....?
Yeah, probably, but I that's where the market is, and they're not all just the same old OD pedal. I mean, there's definitely a tone quality difference with some pedals, though not always directly proportional to the price.

I've got maybe a couple of dozen pedals - a bunch of time based delay/flange/phase/reverb, a few fuzz and a few OD/Boost/Distortion.
I maybe use a pedal once in a blue moon, but they each provide another tone option if I need it.

Well, I just use a mxr 78 distortion, snarling dog wah and a boss chorus to a marshall. Guess as both of yalls points to this is most people go buy whats hot in the magazine and think its going to make em a better guitar player by the number of effects or a combination of pedals. So many knobs so many possibilities, I seen a rig rundown for Johnny Winter and all he uses is a boss chorus to a fender amp. Now dont get me wrong here I like experimenting but I dont buy something cause so and so has one and he/she is a badass.

Well, I just use a mxr 78 distortion, snarling dog wah and a boss chorus to a marshall. Guess as both of yalls points to this is most people go buy whats hot in the magazine and think its going to make em a better guitar player by the number of effects or a combination of pedals. So many knobs so many possibilities, I seen a rig rundown for Johnny Winter and all he uses is a boss chorus to a fender amp. Now dont get me wrong here I like experimenting but I dont buy something cause so and so has one and he/she is a badass.

I'll do you one better.....when I use to play out, I never used any pedals, so I can see how someone may develop their main tone, and just go with that all the time, not needing a lot of gear or the guys who use 20 pedals chained.

These days it's mostly about recording for me, so the pedals just grew out of the desire to have lots of studio options...none of it had anything to do with what was in the magazines or if some name player was using one.
Half of the pedals I own come from too much eBay window shopping...:D...like "Hey, that mightbe a cool fuzz pedal to add to the pile".

Back